Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A New Favorite Prospect - NC State OL Ikem Ekwonu

Like every draftnik, I have favorite players I like in every draft class.

As I learn more about the players as the pre draft period progresses, that list of favorites changes.

There has been one of these changes in my perspective.  Today, I got my first look at NC State OL Ikem Ekwonu.

Oh.

My.

God.

The last college OL I've seen with the nastiness Ekwonu displays was Brandon Scherff.  He absolutely finishes people.  I saw more pancakes in his clips than at the local IHOP, showing no mercy/equal hostility to linemen and DBs alike.  Je blocks with some impact and power.

I remember doing a review of Orlando brown last year, and remarked how he almost never hit a target on the second level.

This is the furthest thing from the truth with Ekwonu.  He seems fanatical about hitting targets downfield without being dirty.

I saw him hit five different guys on one play.

The only question I have with him is whether he could play T.  He may be better suited for G.

But I will say this.  If we either re-signed Caam Robinson or signed a guy like Terron Armstead and we traded back to say Atlanta's pick, I would not hesitate to make him our pick at that spot.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was really looking forward to seeing some of the OT prospects in the all-star games, since I really needed someone to stand out for us in this extremely poor class. Since I see no way we are trading down out of the #1 pick due to the lack of a standout QB, I'm looking at prospects for the 2nd and 3rd days of the draft. One player that I thought might show out (Max Mitchell of Louisiana) and another that I was very excited to see for the first time (Braxton Jones of Southern Utah) unfortunately looked like hot garbage in the Senior Bowl. Both guys were beaten consistently and really got me feeling a bit depressed. For the most part, the defensive linemen dominated that game.

On the other hand, one small school guy caught my attention late in the year, during the playoffs and I wanted to see him against better competition on the next level. That player was Cordell Volson of North Dakota State. He played with the first team unit in the East/West Shrine Game and what really stood out to me both times that I saw him was his tremendous leverage and balance and the fact that he pulled better than any O-Linemen I had seen in quite some time. He locked onto his opponent and drove him out of the way like he was Moses parting the Red Sea. He was a starting RT in college, but also has experience at LT and at both OG positions. He was a First Team All-American for the past two seasons as well. He reminds me a lot of Bills starting RT Spencer Brown, only with quicker feet. Brown missed a few games last season including the one against the Jags and without him, the Bills offense suffered greatly. I really believe Cordell Volson is a plug and play RT who could also slide over to LT, if needed. I really like this kid.

A WR that really impressed me was Dai'Jean Dixon of Nicholls State. He has good size and from what I saw, more than enough speed. He showed great hands and his route running really stood out as well. He caught a long pass in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl as well as a touchdown where he took a huge shot in the endzone after making the reception and he still held onto the ball, so I know he's tough as well. After we take a receiver early, this is a guy I would target in the later rounds. We MUST draft at least 2 WR's and this guy is definitely on my short list for that second WR.

(02-05-2022, 09:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Like every draftnik, I have favorite players I like in every draft class.

As I learn more about the players as the pre draft period progresses, that list of favorites changes.

There has been one of these changes in my perspective.  Today, I got my first look at NC State OL Ikem Ekwonu.

Oh.

My.

God.

The last college OL I've seen with the nastiness Ekwonu displays was Brandon Scherff.  He absolutely finishes people.  I saw more pancakes in his clips than at the local IHOP, showing no mercy/equal hostility to linemen and DBs alike.  Je blocks with some impact and power.

I remember doing a review of Orlando brown last year, and remarked how he almost never hit a target on the second level.

This is the furthest thing from the truth with Ekwonu.  He seems fanatical about hitting targets downfield without being dirty.

The only question I have with him is whether he could play T.  He may be better suited for G.

But I will say this.  If we either re-signed Caam Robinson or signed a guy like Terron Armstead and we traded back to say Atlanta's pick, I would not hesitate to make him our pick at that spot.

Personally, I see Ekwonu as an OG, but he is without a doubt the #1 OG on my board. Since we have needs all over the O-Line, I'd have no problem selecting him at all, if we traded back.

I don't think Ekwonu will fit Pederson's style personally. Ekwonu is an Osemele giant mauler type (that's the comp I like best).

Pedersons Eagles olines had Peters, Kelce, Brooks, and Lane Johnson all being fleet footed, pull like crazy, non maulers.

(02-06-2022, 11:09 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think Ekwonu will fit Pederson's style personally. Ekwonu is an Osemele giant mauler type (that's the comp I like best).

Pedersons Eagles olines had Peters, Kelce, Brooks, and Lane Johnson all being fleet footed, pull like crazy, non maulers.

I dunno.

The use of the screen pass is one of the hallmarks of the WCO schemes.

While in terms of power, I think the Osemele comparison is warranted, I think he has far more mobility and agility than Osemele.  The clips I sawm there were numerous instances where Ekwonu was 20-30 yards downfield looking for guys to block-and finding them.

His mobility makes him a fit for any offense that requires linmen to pul, whether it's on screens, traps, or counters.

Somehow I doubt we'll end up with him in either case.  But whether he fits our new schemes or not, he's a heckuva player.

(02-06-2022, 02:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was really looking forward to seeing some of the OT prospects in the all-star games, since I really needed someone to stand out for us in this extremely poor class. Since I see no way we are trading down out of the #1 pick due to the lack of a standout QB, I'm looking at prospects for the 2nd and 3rd days of the draft. One player that I thought might show out (Max Mitchell of Louisiana) and another that I was very excited to see for the first time (Braxton Jones of Southern Utah) unfortunately looked like hot garbage in the Senior Bowl. Both guys were beaten consistently and really got me feeling a bit depressed. For the most part, the defensive linemen dominated that game.

On the other hand, one small school guy caught my attention late in the year, during the playoffs and I wanted to see him against better competition on the next level. That player was Cordell Volson of North Dakota State. He played with the first team unit in the East/West Shrine Game and what really stood out to me both times that I saw him was his tremendous leverage and balance and the fact that he pulled better than any O-Linemen I had seen in quite some time. He locked onto his opponent and drove him out of the way like he was Moses parting the Red Sea. He was a starting RT in college, but also has experience at LT and at both OG positions. He was a First Team All-American for the past two seasons as well. He reminds me a lot of Bills starting RT Spencer Brown, only with quicker feet. Brown missed a few games last season including the one against the Jags and without him, the Bills offense suffered greatly. I really believe Cordell Volson is a plug and play RT who could also slide over to LT, if needed. I really like this kid.

A WR that really impressed me was Dai'Jean Dixon of Nicholls State. He has good size and from what I saw, more than enough speed. He showed great hands and his route running really stood out as well. He caught a long pass in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl as well as a touchdown where he took a huge shot in the endzone after making the reception and he still held onto the ball, so I know he's tough as well. After we take a receiver early, this is a guy I would target in the later rounds. We MUST draft at least 2 WR's and this guy is definitely on my short list for that second WR.

I can't speak to these guys yet.  I defer to you.

In terms of WRs, Pierce from Cincinnati caught my eye, and if we're to get a bigger, possession receiver type, I'd much rather have him than London.

Another guy I am impressed with is an edge rusher out of SD State Cameron Thomas.  His jarring hand punch is what stood out to me about him.

(02-06-2022, 02:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 09:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Like every draftnik, I have favorite players I like in every draft class.

Oh.

My.

God.

Personally, I see Ekwonu as an OG, but he is without a doubt the #1 OG on my board. Since we have needs all over the O-Line, I'd have no problem selecting him at all, if we traded back.

So if the combines reveals he has the measurables to play T, would you invest the top pick on him?

A player I really like after seeing some highlight reels yesterday is Brandon Smith. OLB from Penn State. Think he's going to be a solid starter in the NFL. Bit of a freak athlete. I don't think we'll get him. But, very good prospect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Ebiketie is also an awesome prospect out of Penn State. Looks a lot like Yannick Ngaokue. Would be a nice pick up in the draft if they opt for Neal numero uno over Thibodeaux or Hutchinson.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 04:15 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-06-2022, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 02:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was really looking forward to seeing some of the OT prospects in the all-star games, since I really needed someone to stand out for us in this extremely poor class. Since I see no way we are trading down out of the #1 pick due to the lack of a standout QB, I'm looking at prospects for the 2nd and 3rd days of the draft. One player that I thought might show out (Max Mitchell of Louisiana) and another that I was very excited to see for the first time (Braxton Jones of Southern Utah) unfortunately looked like hot garbage in the Senior Bowl. Both guys were beaten consistently and really got me feeling a bit depressed. For the most part, the defensive linemen dominated that game.

I can't speak to these guys yet.  I defer to you.

In terms of WRs, Pierce from Cincinnati caught my eye, and if we're to get a bigger, possession receiver type, I'd much rather have him than London.

Another guy I am impressed with is an edge rusher out of SD State Cameron Thomas.  His jarring hand punch is what stood out to me about him.

Thomas is impressive. I have him going to Kansas City with the #30 overall pick.

(02-06-2022, 12:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 02:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I see Ekwonu as an OG, but he is without a doubt the #1 OG on my board. Since we have needs all over the O-Line, I'd have no problem selecting him at all, if we traded back.

So if the combines reveals he has the measurables to play T, would you invest the top pick on him?

The top pick as in #1 overall? Absolutely not. I still have Hutchinson and Thibodeaux as the best two prospects in the draft and I'm taking who I believe is the best available player. I would only take Ekwonu in a trade down scenario.

(02-06-2022, 01:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Ebiketie is also an awesome prospect out of Penn State. Looks a lot like Yannick Ngaokue. Would be a nice pick up in the draft if they opt for Neal numero uno over Thibodeaux or Hutchinson.

Ebiketie is impressive. There are several pass rushers that will go somewhere in that 2nd round range that should end up being stars in the NFL. Sam Williams of Mississippi is another guy I love and Boye Mafe was wreaking havok off the edge in the Senior Bowl as well.

(02-06-2022, 01:23 PM)Caldrac Wrote: A player I really like after seeing some highlight reels yesterday is Brandon Smith. OLB from Penn State. Think he's going to be a solid starter in the NFL. Bit of a freak athlete. I don't think we'll get him. But, very good prospect.

(02-06-2022, 01:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Ebiketie is also an awesome prospect out of Penn State. Looks a lot like Yannick Ngaokue. Would be a nice pick up in the draft if they opt for Neal numero uno over Thibodeaux or Hutchinson.

Even though Penn State has produced a ton of stud defenders over the years, it seems the defenders of recent vintage are faster and more athletic than guys from years' past. For a long time, Penn State never produced any edge rushers worth anything. But in the last decade or so, they started producing them.

Ebiketie has been the most common person mocked to us at 33 lately, now that everyone has us taking OT at 1.

Mafe has been getting first round buzz since the senior bowl too.

(02-06-2022, 05:15 PM)Upper Wrote: Ebiketie has been the most common person mocked to us at 33 lately, now that everyone has us taking OT at 1.

Mafe has been getting first round buzz since the senior bowl too.

[Image: tenor.gif]

https://youtu.be/mlzZ0nsn2M4

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2022, 06:58 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Oh.

My.

God.

He's #2 on Daniel Jeremiah's top 50.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...nkings-1-0

I know we got a Punter but...

https://youtu.be/JPlvF6owtqk

This kid has a cannon for a leg. Keep an eye on him. Not sure if he goes as an UDFA but he's got a shot.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 09:03 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Travon Walker

Ikem is my dude. We should draft him, I don't care what position he plays. I want him on my team.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Lots of momentum building for Ekwonu this morning. Not a fan of that. I just don't care nearly as much about how great my OTs run block. It's nice if they do, but they need to be pass blockers first and foremost, and Ikem is not that. He's just an average pass blocker.