Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:potential franchise qbs that could be available for the 33rd pick are carr, murray, fales, manziel, boyd, mettenberger, morris. those are just from the top of my head.

I don't think Boyd will be available in 'late round 1'

I think Manziel is too much boom or bust.  Not sure if he will declare or not in any case.

I think Mettenberger would be a good choice in the 3rd or 4th.  Good second option though.  

Not sure about Derek Carr.  Another QB I'd be fine with as a second option if available later. 

Don't think Murray is worth a 2nd round pick either.  Would rather have Mettenberger as a later round prospect.

Not sold on Morris either.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:potential franchise qbs that could be available for the 33rd pick are carr, murray, fales, manziel, boyd, mettenberger, morris. those are just from the top of my head.

And what in your opinion makes those guys potential franchise QBs?

Quote:And what in your opinion makes those guys potential franchise QBs?
they have the tools to be a successful qb in this league.

Quote:they have the tools to be a successful qb in this league.

Ok I'll try amd rephrase it.

What have you seen from each of the guys you listed that makes you believe they'd be a franchise QB?

i havent seen boyd, fales or morris play but there seems to be a consensus that theyre slotted to go in first/second rd. qbs are drafted in those slots because they have potential to be franchise qbs

carr- strong arm, nice measurables, improved year to year. hes carrying his team on his back, hes been pretty clutch this season, great command of his offense. level of competition is a concern

manziel - hes intruiging, playmaker, very instinctive. im pretty much buying into the hype after watching all his games this season

mettenberger - from what ive seen against georgia, he had the poise the arm and the measurables to be successful in this league. prototypical pocket passer. he made nfl throws during that game. he played better than murray. 

murray-  he started 4 years in a pro style offense, athletic seemed to be very mobile, can make all the throws needed, good mechanics he was pretty clutch but then again lsu had two blown coverage. 

my opinion based on what ive seen from them and read around the interwebs.

Quote:That doesn't explain why out of a random sample of 12 NFL scouts over the summer, 11 believed Bridgewater would eventually be the #1 pick. Clowney didn't reveal the bone spurs and his impending surgery until mid-September.

If you've chosen to put stock in an unsourced anecdote, well... that's your poor choice.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:If you've chosen to put stock in an unsourced anecdote, well... that's your poor choice.

LOL, "unsourced". Almost every bit of NFL news you read and hear is unsourced.

Quote:i havent seen boyd, fales or morris play but there seems to be a consensus that theyre slotted to go in first/second rd. qbs are drafted in those slots because they have potential to be franchise qbs

Quote:they have the tools to be a successful qb in this league.

OK, then. At least you're honest.

On Wisconsin.

Quote: 

I simply cannot subscribe to this Teddy or bust mentality, that he's the only hope for this franchise.  Thinking we had our "guy" is what tanked this franchise to begin with.

Yeah, except, Leftwich might have been "our" guy, but he was far from universally thought of as a can't miss, like Teddy is. 

"Our" projection was obviously flawed before. 

Teddy is right up there as a prospect with some of the better ones of the last 3 decades. 

Bridgewater would be nice, but a line to protect him would be nicer.... Clowney seems to be holding back or has already topped out... looks like a bust to me...

Johnny Football is my pick!!!

Go Jaguars!!!!!

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Bridgewater would be nice, but a line to protect him would be nicer.... Clowney seems to be holding back or has already topped out... looks like a bust to me...

Johnny Football is my pick!!!

Go Jaguars!!!!!

With Bridgewater, like Marino & like Manning, (2 QB with similarly good pocket presence) just his addition makes his OL better. 

Johnny football huh?....I guess you want the Jags to continue down Suckville....

Quote:Yeah, except, Leftwich might have been "our" guy, but he was far from universally thought of as a can't miss, like Teddy is. 

"Our" projection was obviously flawed before. 

Teddy is right up there as a prospect with some of the better ones of the last 3 decades. 

"Our" guy wasn't Leftwich.  It was Garrard.  We were so "set" at QB we didn't draft another for nearly a decade and the only FAs we brought in at the position were scrubs.

Excuse me while I refuse to consider Teddy any more of a "can't miss" prospect than any other top QB candidate.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:"Our" guy wasn't Leftwich.  It was Garrard.  We were so "set" at QB we didn't draft another for nearly a decade and the only FAs we brought in at the position were scrubs.

Excuse me while I refuse to consider Teddy any more of a "can't miss" prospect than any other top QB candidate.

I'm talking 2003....Leftwich was indeed "our" guy. So much so that we passed on both Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers in successive drafts following that pick. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:I'm talking 2003....Leftwich was indeed "our" guy. So much so that we passed on both Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers in successive drafts following that pick. 
You're talking about my post, to which I was referring to Garrard, and you assumed the wrong guy.

I advocated we both draft a QB and bring in a FA before we cut Leftwich.

We didn't because they thought they already had a "backup" plan.

That plan failed, and that's where we are today.

Quote:You're talking about my post, to which I was referring to Garrard, and you assumed the wrong guy.

I advocated we both draft a QB and bring in a FA before we cut Leftwich.

We didn't because they thought they already had a "backup" plan.

That plan failed, and that's where we are today.

Now, this I agree with.  This team went way too long without using a pick in the first three rounds at QB.  Which is why it's so important now that we hit on a Quarterback (or two...) It's a lot easier once you get a Quarterback to find their replacement, because you have plenty of time to look -- but you actually have to look. 

Quote:If you've chosen to put stock in an unsourced anecdote, well... that's your poor choice.

He is sure quick to discredit my source, though Gil Brandt is pretty reputable.

His comment about Ryan Tannehill made me raise an eyebrow too. I can only hope it was a typo and he meant to say "Luck or Robert Griffin III". That would make more sense.

Regardless, the point was that this class is loaded with QB potential, and it is. If you guys want to "stop reading" before you get to that section, fine. So much for being objective, though.

And roycee, you are the exact reason why I said I'm not going to name specific QBs. I'm not an NFL scout so I don't expect to hit the nail on the head, but there are going to be a handful of really nice options at 33. I'd hope our scouts can do their job.

I'm not saying I'd rather have a guy at #33 than Bridgewater, because odds are Bridgewater is more likely to pan out, however to just dismiss the idea that this isn't a loaded QB class is being closed-minded.

Quote:He is sure quick to discredit my source, though Gil Brandt is pretty reputable.

His comment about Ryan Tannehill made me raise an eyebrow too. I can only hope it was a typo and he meant to say "Luck or Robert Griffin III". That would make more sense.

Regardless, the point was that this class is loaded with QB potential, and it is. If you guys want to "stop reading" before you get to that section, fine. So much for being objective, though.

And roycee, you are the exact reason why I said I'm not going to name specific QBs. I'm not an NFL scout so I don't expect to hit the nail on the head, but there are going to be a handful of really nice options at 33. I'd hope our scouts can do their job.

I'm not saying I'd rather have a guy at #33 than Bridgewater, because odds are Bridgewater is more likely to pan out, however to just dismiss the idea that this isn't a loaded QB class is being closed-minded.

Yeah, I type "Ryan Tannehill"all the time while trying to type Robert Griffin III.    They both start with R  Laughing

But on Gil Brandt he also had this to say regarding Clowney: 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">This is the ultimate compliment when I say Jadeveon Clowney is a lot like Derrick Thomas when Thomas came out of Alabama in 1989. Many NFL evaluators considered Thomas the best defensive player in college football, maybe the best player overall, but he wasn't taken until the fourth pick in the draft behind four offensive players: Troy Aikman, Tony Mandarich and Barry Sanders. When Lawrence Taylor came out in 1981, tell me there was a better player than him in the decade before or after, yet he went No. 2 overall behind George Rogers.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">The feeling these days is that you have to have a quarterback to win. Nothing wrong with that theory. You can win with a lesser players at other positions, but not at quarterback. Not in today's NFL.

You worry a little bit about Clowney's bone spurs, but if he 
checks out OK physically at the combine
, safely assuming he enters the draft, he'll be a top-five pick.

I'm not arguing that the quarterback class doesn't project to be strong; I'm saying that Gil Brandt is 80-years-old and hasn't been involved in an NFL front office for almost 25 years.

Agree with his comments re: Clowney, though.

The pass rushing class is strong too guys...it's not Clowney or bust. In fact, TeddyB is better than the #2 QB by more than Clowney is better than Anthony Barr. Teddy and 'franchise DE' at 33 like hopefully Quick Vic Beasley is waaaaaay better than Clowney and someone like McCarron or Murray (and y'all still gonna learn that Mettenberger is gonna be gone by 33).

Barr, Van Noy, Za'Darius Smith, many other good pass rushers.

TEST