Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

Imagine if the Giants didn't take Toney. Urban would have taken him in a heartbeat and where would this team be now?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 10:27 AM by Mikey.)

(11-06-2022, 06:25 PM)cincyjacket Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 06:13 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Robinson who?

Fyi - Jrob was the lead ball carrier for the Jets today and they beat the Bills.

Much like our win last year, the defense beat the bills.

(11-06-2022, 11:24 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Could Etienne become just the 5th RB in franchise history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season? The 4 that have done it..

Taylor
Jones-Drew
Fournette
Robinson

Right now he has 680 yards rushing which puts him 16th all time in franchise history, just ahead of LaBrandon Toefield. 1,331 yards would move him into 10th all time in team history, which Mack currently holds. Etienne has 4 rushing TDs and 0 receiving so far with 8 games remaining. He’s also averaging right around 6 yards a pop.

I’m predicting somewhere around 1100 and 7 on the ground.

The big toe! There's a name I didn't expect to see this morning.

(11-07-2022, 06:13 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 09:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He's not a RB? Oh

By that I mean, he's not just POSTIONAL VALUE he's a pro bowl take it to the house talent.  That transcends the conventional don't draft rb in the first round Montra.

Montra vs. Godzilla is one of my favorite kaiju movies

(11-07-2022, 10:22 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Imagine if the Giants didn't take Toney. Urban would have taken him in a heartbeat and where would this team be now?

looking ahead to the darft?  Oh, wait.

(11-07-2022, 10:29 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 06:13 AM)jj82284 Wrote: By that I mean, he's not just POSTIONAL VALUE he's a pro bowl take it to the house talent.  That transcends the conventional don't draft rb in the first round Montra.

Montra vs. Godzilla is one of my favorite kaiju movies

I don't subscribe to that mothra. 

I subscribe to the 'don't take a RB in the first round unless he shoots laser beams out of his eyes" mothra. 

While i disliked the ETN pick, he seems to have engaged the laser eyes. Hope it sustains.

(11-07-2022, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 08:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Are there still people actually arguing that we should not have drafted Etienne at pick # 25?
8-9 
Yes, because he likely won't be here in 7 years and he plays RB lol

Wow, you really do struggle with reading, don't you. Nothing was said about 6 or 7 years, that's your illiteracy talking. 

As for your other comment about the RBs, consider:

Barkley - 1st round pick. Team is 5-11, 4-12, 6-10, and 4-13 since.
Henry - 2nd round pick, probably the exception but shows that the team must entirely commit to power running if the RB is to be worth the cost.
Chubb - 2nd round pick. Team is 7-8, 6-10, 11-5, 8-9 since he got there and, interestingly, his worst output year was his third year which is also their best record year. 
Kamara - 4th round pick who went to play with one of the best QBs in history.
CMC - 11-5 in year one when he caught 80 passes, since then 7-9, 5-11, 5-11, 5-12. Now on his second team after playing just 10 games the past two seasons.
Cook - 2nd round pick. He played 4 games the first year and the team went 13-3. This supports my contention that RBs are a last piece not a building block.

So, in sum, your idea of these players and what they actually are is worlds apart. Running backs overwhelmingly do not have a tremendous impact on the success of their teams and for the most part they are interchangeable when the team around them isn't very good. Spending a 1st on a running back is almost never a good idea as that valuable capital needs to be spent on other more important positions and even if you get a good one he's not going to be around by the time the team is actually good.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2022, 11:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 8-9 
Yes, because he likely won't be here in 7 years and he plays RB lol

Wow, you really do struggle with reading, don't you. Nothing was said about 6 or 7 years, that's your illiteracy talking. 

Henry - 2nd round pick, probably the exception but shows that the team must entirely commit to power running if the RB is to be worth the cost.
Chubb - 2nd round pick. Team is 7-8, 6-10, 11-5, 8-9 since he got there and, interestingly, his worst output year was his third year which is also their best record year. 
CMC - 11-5 in year one when he caught 80 passes, since then 7-9, 5-11, 5-11, 5-12. Now on his second team after playing just 10 games the past two seasons.
Cook - 2nd round pick. He played 4 games the first year and the team went 13-3. This supports my contention that RBs are a last piece not a building block.

So, in sum, your idea of these players and what they actually are is worlds apart. Running backs overwhelmingly do not have a tremendous impact on the success of their teams and for the most part they are interchangeable when the team around them isn't very good. Spending a 1st on a running back is almost never a good idea as that valuable capital needs to be spent on other more important positions and even if you get a good one he's not going to be around by the time the team is actually good.

That's your illiteracy, did I say someone said that?  Isn't that one of the biggest issues because they have a short shelf life?  I can do what you did for the WR position.  Does that mean the WR position doesn't have a tremendous impact on a teams success?  The best way to win a championship without a HOF QB is a good run game and defense.

(11-07-2022, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 11:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Wow, you really do struggle with reading, don't you. Nothing was said about 6 or 7 years, that's your illiteracy talking. 

That's your illiteracy, did I say someone said that?  Isn't that one of the biggest issues because they have a short shelf life?  I can do what you did for the WR position.  Does that mean the WR position doesn't have a tremendous impact on a teams success?  The best way to win a championship without a HOF QB is a good run game and defense.
Wait what?

Do you think WRs and RBs have the same positional value?

(11-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's your illiteracy, did I say someone said that?  Isn't that one of the biggest issues because they have a short shelf life?  I can do what you did for the WR position.  Does that mean the WR position doesn't have a tremendous impact on a teams success?  The best way to win a championship without a HOF QB is a good run game and defense.
Wait what?

No, running backs are way more valuable evidently. It's still 1992 in some people's minds.

(11-07-2022, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 11:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Wow, you really do struggle with reading, don't you. Nothing was said about 6 or 7 years, that's your illiteracy talking. 

So yeah, I completely destroyed your argument with a line by line exposition and you've got nothing. In your new argument you still don't build a good run game and defense by taking a RB in the 1st round. You take pass rushers, CBs and offensive linemen. Then you sign a UDFA RB or if you really want to use a draft pick you take one on Day 2 or 3.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2022, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's your illiteracy, did I say someone said that?  Isn't that one of the biggest issues because they have a short shelf life?  I can do what you did for the WR position.  Does that mean the WR position doesn't have a tremendous impact on a teams success?  The best way to win a championship without a HOF QB is a good run game and defense.
Wait what?

I think WR position has a little more value becuase of the rules now.  With that said, I'd rather have the best player.  DJ Moore is one of your best favorite players right?  I'd rather have Derrick Henry, Chubb, CMC, Etieene, Barkley and a few others.  I'm taking the best player, the best player is the most valuable.

(11-07-2022, 12:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait what?

I think WR position has a little more value becuase of the rules now.  With that said, I'd rather have the best player.  DJ Moore is one of your best favorite players right?  I'd rather have Derrick Henry, Chubb, CMC, Etieene, Barkley and a few others.  I'm taking the best player, the best player is the most valuable.
Hahaha this makes so much sense! You’re living in the 60s.

So why did the Panthers get rid of CMac and keep Moore?

(11-07-2022, 12:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think WR position has a little more value becuase of the rules now.  With that said, I'd rather have the best player.  DJ Moore is one of your best favorite players right?  I'd rather have Derrick Henry, Chubb, CMC, Etieene, Barkley and a few others.  I'm taking the best player, the best player is the most valuable.

Because they aren't very good at this franchise building thing.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:52 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-07-2022, 12:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think WR position has a little more value becuase of the rules now.  With that said, I'd rather have the best player.  DJ Moore is one of your best favorite players right?  I'd rather have Derrick Henry, Chubb, CMC, Etieene, Barkley and a few others.  I'm taking the best player, the best player is the most valuable.

60s? Lol. Because they got a hell.of a hall for CMC and they are in full rebuild.  It wouldn't surprise me if the trade Moore in the offseason.  The cap space also along with CMC injuries.  To help him out as well and give him a chance win like we did with Calais,

(11-07-2022, 12:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hahaha this makes so much sense! You’re living in the 60s.

Because they aren't very good at this franchise building thing.
And this

Why would the 49ers give all that up for the RB position when they are a dime a dozen?

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:53 PM by Jagulars.)

He's eating up yards. Keep feeding him against the Chiefs. Do not give the Chiefs time. Because they will drive down the field with little hesitation. Eat up the clock and score on drives.

(11-07-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hahaha this makes so much sense! You’re living in the 60s.

60s? Lol. Because they got a hell.of a hall for CMC and they are in full rebuild.  It wouldn't surprise me if the trade Moore in the offseason.  The cap space also along with CMC injuries.  To help him out as well and give him a chance win like we did with Calais,

(11-07-2022, 12:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because they aren't very good at this franchise building thing.
And this

Why would the 49ers give all that up for the RB position when they are a dime a dozen?

Because the 49rs are a win now team who need that back as their final piece. This is way less complicated than you're making it trying to be right.

I didn’t think it was a good pick or strategy at the time and I’m relieved he is looking like the exception to the rule.

The players that I wanted in that spot haven’t done jack [BLEEP], so kudos to Baalke for making the pick.

In regards to the team building/ semantics argument happening. I do think he looks like the best weapon pick we could have reasonably made with that selection. I’m sure Trevor is grateful that ETN is taking some pressure off him. Even in hindsight I would only take Dickerson on offense over him.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 01:01 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Wait what?

An elite RB has more value than a run of the mill late first round pick WR.  

He was the 25th pick in the draft.  He's looking like an elite player.  If he is, then it was a great pick.  

A lot of you act like Barry Sanders in the first round would be a bad pick.  You're sticking to this "principle" that you never pick a running back in the first round.  That is stupendously idiotic.  Running back is a tremendously important position.  Teams run the ball about 30-40% of the time, if not more.

(11-07-2022, 12:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait what?

An elite RB has more value than a run of the mill late first round pick WR.  

He was the 25th pick in the draft.  He's looking like an elite player.  If he is, then it was a great pick.  

A lot of you act like Barry Sanders in the first round would be a bad pick.  You're sticking to this "principle" that you never pick a running back in the first round.  That is stupendously idiotic.  Running back is a tremendously important position.  Teams run the ball about 30-40% of the time, if not more.

On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 01:15 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-07-2022, 01:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: An elite RB has more value than a run of the mill late first round pick WR.  

On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back.

All other things being equal, maybe you're right.  But you have to assess the relative talent of the players available at that pick.  You don't pass up Travis Etienne just because he's a running back.  Would you pass up Barry Sanders?  Or Fred Taylor?  Or Christian McCaffrey?  Sure, an elite WR would probably trump an elite RB.  But elite WRs go top-10, not 25th.  When you get to the 25th pick in the draft, and Travis Etienne is still on the board, for God's sake, you take him.

And then again, you say, "On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back."  Well, judging from the last 6 games, not really.  Judging from the last 6 games, this particular RB was the right pick.

(11-07-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(11-07-2022, 12:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because they aren't very good at this franchise building thing.
And this

Wait. You think they got a big haul for CMac? 

Did you see what elite WRs are getting? I mean Hollywood Brown got a 1st rounder and he’s not elite.

The NFL and just about everyone agree that WRs are more valuable. It’s why they get paid more and why they get more in return if you trade them.