Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(11-07-2022, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 60s? Lol. Because they got a hell.of a hall for CMC and they are in full rebuild.  It wouldn't surprise me if the trade Moore in the offseason.  The cap space also along with CMC injuries.  To help him out as well and give him a chance win like we did with Calais,

And this

Why would the 49ers give all that up for the RB position when they are a dime a dozen?
Wait. You think they got a big haul for CMac? 

Did you see what elite WRs are getting? I mean Hollywood Brown got a 1st rounder and he’s not elite.

The NFL and just about everyone agree that WRs are more valuable. It’s why they get paid more and why they get more in return if you trade them.
Did you miss the point where I said there are more valuable because of the rules.  They got a 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,and 5th for a player that has been hurt the most part of 2 years.  I'd say that's a pretty good haul for a player that's been hurt a lot.  If he has been healthy they would of got a lot more

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-07-2022, 01:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back.

All other things being equal, maybe you're right.  But you have to assess the relative talent of the players available at that pick.  You don't pass up Travis Etienne just because he's a running back.  Would you pass up Barry Sanders?  Or Fred Taylor?  Or Christian McCaffrey?  Sure, an elite WR would probably trump an elite RB.  But elite WRs go top-10, not 25th.  When you get to the 25th pick in the draft, and Travis Etienne is still on the board, for God's sake, you take him.

And then again, you say, "On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back."  Well, judging from the last 6 games, not really.  Judging from the last 6 games, this particular RB was the right pick.

Yup, some don't get it

(11-07-2022, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 10:29 AM)Mikey Wrote: Montra vs. Godzilla is one of my favorite kaiju movies

I don't subscribe to that mothra. 

I subscribe to the 'don't take a RB in the first round unless he shoots laser beams out of his eyes" mothra. 

While i disliked the ETN pick, he seems to have engaged the laser eyes. Hope it sustains.

If he'd finish his pupal stage and grow wings already, he would be dang near untackle-able

(11-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's your illiteracy, did I say someone said that?  Isn't that one of the biggest issues because they have a short shelf life?  I can do what you did for the WR position.  Does that mean the WR position doesn't have a tremendous impact on a teams success?  The best way to win a championship without a HOF QB is a good run game and defense.
Wait what?

Do you think WRs and RBs have the same positional value?

mind your head, lest the shifting goalposts bump yer noggin

(11-07-2022, 01:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: All other things being equal, maybe you're right.  But you have to assess the relative talent of the players available at that pick.  You don't pass up Travis Etienne just because he's a running back.  Would you pass up Barry Sanders?  Or Fred Taylor?  Or Christian McCaffrey?  Sure, an elite WR would probably trump an elite RB.  But elite WRs go top-10, not 25th.  When you get to the 25th pick in the draft, and Travis Etienne is still on the board, for God's sake, you take him.

And then again, you say, "On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back."  Well, judging from the last 6 games, not really.  Judging from the last 6 games, this particular RB was the right pick.

Yup, some don't get it

Yep, you really, really don't.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2022, 01:53 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait what?

Hahahah he edited his post because it was garbage?!

(11-07-2022, 01:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: On a team like this one a late 1st round pick is better spent on other positions than a running back.

All other things being equal, maybe you're right.  But you have to assess the relative talent of the players available at that pick.  You don't pass up Travis Etienne just because he's a running back.  Would you pass up Barry Sanders?  Or Fred Taylor?  Or Christian McCaffrey?  Sure, an elite WR would probably trump an elite RB.  But elite WRs go top-10, not 25th.  When you get to the 25th pick in the draft, and Travis Etienne is still on the board, for God's sake, you take him.

This isn't the 80s or the 90s any more. And yes, not only would I pass on CMC, every team in the first round in 2017 did too. I would not have taken ETN if I were the Jags, I might have if I was KC or the Packers or the Rams because those teams are where they need to be for the back to make a difference. With ETN this team is 1 and 5 in the last 6 games so whatever judgement you're using it's still accurate to say that a running back playing great football doesn't change the fortunes of a franchise. RBs are complementary pieces not foundational ones and this team STILL needs foundational players.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 02:06 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-07-2022, 01:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:53 PM)Mikey Wrote: mind your head, lest the shifting goalposts bump yer noggin
Hahahah he edited his post because it was garbage?!

What did I edit?

(11-07-2022, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: All other things being equal, maybe you're right.  But you have to assess the relative talent of the players available at that pick.  You don't pass up Travis Etienne just because he's a running back.  Would you pass up Barry Sanders?  Or Fred Taylor?  Or Christian McCaffrey?  Sure, an elite WR would probably trump an elite RB.  But elite WRs go top-10, not 25th.  When you get to the 25th pick in the draft, and Travis Etienne is still on the board, for God's sake, you take him.

This isn't the 80s or the 90s any more. And yes, not only would I pass on CMC, every team in the first round in 2017 did too. I would not have taken ETN if I were the Jags, I might have if I was KC or the Packers or the Rams because those teams are where they need to be for the back to make a difference. With ETN this team is 1 and 5 in the last 6 games so whatever judgement you're using it's still accurate to say that a running back playing great football doesn't change the fortunes of a franchise. RBs are complementary pieces not foundational ones and this team STILL needs foundational players.
How many wins do you think this team would have of we took Moore or Barmore?  I guarantee you this team is much better with Etieene than either of them and I liked both.

Etienne continues to impress. My only concern is the heavy workload. He was getting whacked a lot in the 4th quarter and you could clearly see it was taking a toll on him. At some point I was looking for Snoop Conner to get into the game. Especially after Hasty [BLEEP] up that reverse pitch in the 1st quarter.

They need to get a healthy rotation going again. Last thing we need is another James Robinson situation to come up later on this month or early next month and it slows down Etienne's off season and he has to work harder on recovery Vs. development in 2023.

They were mixing in Muma and Brown defensively yesterday. I would like to slowly start seeing the same approach offensively. Let's see what Conner can do out of the backfield. Let's see what Tim Jones can do on the outside.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-07-2022, 12:57 PM)rufftime Wrote: I didn’t think it was a good pick or strategy at the time and I’m relieved he is looking like the exception to the rule.

The players that I wanted in that spot haven’t done jack [BLEEP], so kudos to Baalke for making the pick.

In regards to the team building/ semantics argument happening.  I do think he looks like the best weapon pick we could have reasonably made with that selection.  I’m sure Trevor is grateful that ETN is taking some pressure off him.  Even in hindsight I would only take Dickerson on offense over him.

THIS
RIGHT
HERE

It was absolutely a roll of the dice to pass on positional value elsewhere to complement a position that already seemed to be a strength. Had the pick missed, we'd all be calling for the GM's head with this as exhibit A to justify his firing. We had holes EVERYWHERE, and there were plenty of guys that could be filling those roles on this team, but the tradeoff would be our ongoing reliance on JRob to carry the run game, or hoping that a later pick would bring at least comparable performance to what we've gotten out of ETN.

(11-07-2022, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

The bolded part is not correct.  CMC was picked 8th overall.  

And yes, with ETN this team is 1-5 in the last 6 games, but we're also 1-5 with every other player on the team.  So that means nothing.

(11-07-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This isn't the 80s or the 90s any more. And yes, not only would I pass on CMC, every team in the first round in 2017 did too. I would not have taken ETN if I were the Jags, I might have if I was KC or the Packers or the Rams because those teams are where they need to be for the back to make a difference. With ETN this team is 1 and 5 in the last 6 games so whatever judgement you're using it's still accurate to say that a running back playing great football doesn't change the fortunes of a franchise. RBs are complementary pieces not foundational ones and this team STILL needs foundational players.

And yes, with ETN this team is 1-5 in the last 6 games, but we're also 1-5 with every other player on the team.  So that means nothing.

Zeke Elliot was the 4th overall pick in 2016 and Leonard Fournette also went just ahead of CMC with us in that same draft. All three of those guys virtually have or continue to contribute at a relatively high level. 

Etienne was worth the pick. I don't have a problem with it at all. I wish he was actually used more in the passing game. If he put up Alvin Kamara type numbers nobody would care we didn't land a top flight WR at the end of the 1st RD on the opening night.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-07-2022, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hahahah he edited his post because it was garbage?!

What did I edit?

(11-07-2022, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This isn't the 80s or the 90s any more. And yes, not only would I pass on CMC, every team in the first round in 2017 did too. I would not have taken ETN if I were the Jags, I might have if I was KC or the Packers or the Rams because those teams are where they need to be for the back to make a difference. With ETN this team is 1 and 5 in the last 6 games so whatever judgement you're using it's still accurate to say that a running back playing great football doesn't change the fortunes of a franchise. RBs are complementary pieces not foundational ones and this team STILL needs foundational players.
How many wins do you think this team would have of we took Moore or Barmore?  I guarantee you this team is much better with Etieene than either of them and I liked both.

We likely win more games last year since ETN didn't play at all. This year I'm not sure how to gauge it since we had so much change but our passing offense or our run defense is likely much better. In the meantime what does this team look like this year with Barmore in the middle and we don't spend all that cap money on Fatukasi and we commit to JRob as the featured back? It's hard to project what would be since we have so many variables, that's why principles matter and the guys that picked ETN aren't even here now. The ETN pick drove all kinds of additional needs this year, needs that were costly to address in free agency and the draft.

(11-07-2022, 01:53 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait what?

What goal posts have been shifted?  It's clear that you missed something as usual.  You're getting old, eyes getting bad

(11-07-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

You're right, I was thinking of Henry.

And it does matter because the only guy on this team playing at his potential right now is ETN. He's playing great and it just barely matters because his position just isn't that important.

(11-07-2022, 02:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The bolded part is not correct.  CMC was picked 8th overall.  

You're right, I was thinking of Henry.

And it does matter because the only guy on this team playing at his potential right now is ETN. He's playing great and it just barely matters because his position just isn't that important.
I would trade ETN for almost every WR drafted in the 1st round the last 2 years.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 02:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-07-2022, 02:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What did I edit?

We likely win more games last year since ETN didn't play at all. This year I'm not sure how to gauge it since we had so much change but our passing offense or our run defense is likely much better. In the meantime what does this team look like this year with Barmore in the middle and we don't spend all that cap money on Fatukasi and we commit to JRob as the featured back? It's hard to project what would be since we have so many variables, that's why principles matter and the guys that picked ETN aren't even here now. The ETN pick drove all kinds of additional needs this year, needs that were costly to address in free agency and the draft.

Neither of those would of gave us anymore wins last year.  One of the reasons a lot wanted Barmore was his pass rush ability and he's been a disappointment in that aspect.  It's clear up to this point Etieene is the much better pick than either of those and I think you are the only one that can't see it wether you liked that pick at the time or not.  Even the people that didn't like the pick at the time can see it now.

(11-07-2022, 02:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're right, I was thinking of Henry.

I would trade ETN for almost every WR drafted in the 1st round the last 2 years.
Almost all were drafted before pick 25

(11-07-2022, 02:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The bolded part is not correct.  CMC was picked 8th overall.  

Zeke Elliot was the 4th overall pick in 2016 and Leonard Fournette also went just ahead of CMC with us in that same draft. All three of those guys virtually have or continue to contribute at a relatively high level. 

Etienne was worth the pick. I don't have a problem with it at all. I wish he was actually used more in the passing game. If he put up Alvin Kamara type numbers nobody would care we didn't land a top flight WR at the end of the 1st RD on the opening night.

Zeke is a good example, high pick with little return. Lenny didn't play out his rookie deal, is it really considered high level what he's done?

(11-07-2022, 02:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We likely win more games last year since ETN didn't play at all. This year I'm not sure how to gauge it since we had so much change but our passing offense or our run defense is likely much better. In the meantime what does this team look like this year with Barmore in the middle and we don't spend all that cap money on Fatukasi and we commit to JRob as the featured back? It's hard to project what would be since we have so many variables, that's why principles matter and the guys that picked ETN aren't even here now. The ETN pick drove all kinds of additional needs this year, needs that were costly to address in free agency and the draft.

Neither of those would of gave us anymore wins last year.  One of the reasons a lot wanted Barmore was his pass rush ability and he's been a disappointment in that aspect.  It's clear up to this point Etieene is the much better pick than either of those and I think you are the only one that can't see it wether you liked that pick at the time or not.  Even the people that didn't like the pick at the time can see it now.

(11-07-2022, 02:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I would trade ETN for almost every WR drafted in the 1st round the last 2 years.

That's your opinion and it's not a very good one.

(11-07-2022, 02:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're right, I was thinking of Henry.

Don't be ridiculous.  You'd trade him for Kadarious Toney?  Rashod Bateman?  

Of course anyone would trade him for Jamaar Chase.  But he was taken 5th overall.  Not available at pick 25.

(11-07-2022, 02:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Zeke Elliot was the 4th overall pick in 2016 and Leonard Fournette also went just ahead of CMC with us in that same draft. All three of those guys virtually have or continue to contribute at a relatively high level. 

Zeke is a good example, high pick with little return. Lenny didn't play out his rookie deal, is it really considered high level what he's done?

(11-07-2022, 02:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Neither of those would of gave us anymore wins last year.  One of the reasons a lot wanted Barmore was his pass rush ability and he's been a disappointment in that aspect.  It's clear up to this point Etieene is the much better pick than either of those and I think you are the only one that can't see it wether you liked that pick at the time or not.  Even the people that didn't like the pick at the time can see it now.

That's your opinion and it's not a very good one.

Fournette was a big reason why that 2017 team had even a snow ball's chance in hell at an AFCC appearance. 6,225 total yards with 40 TD's through 72 career starts is impressive. That's all I honestly care about on offense. 

Can you produce and can you score points? Doesn't matter if you can run it 73 yards per game on average or receive 73 yards per game on average. Just as long as you help us win games. 

I would have taken CMC over Fournette in that draft though. Can do more on offense and special teams. He's been the better player of the two. I just don't know who you would take in 2017 from that draft class over Fournette or CMC in that area. 

They were already heavily invested on defense from 2016. Mike Williams would have been the better pick at WR. However, they were probably thinking they were good there with Robinson and Hurns on the outside. 

The only player I was thinking at 25 when they took Etienne was honestly the tackle from Oklahoma St. Teven Jenkins. He ended up slipping to RD2 and hasn't amounted to anything with the Bears so far. Again, though, they were invested with Jawaan Taylor and ultimately landed Walker Little the next night. As well as Tyson Campbell at CB.