Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags trade for Calvin Ridley

(01-26-2023, 10:42 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's hard to imagine Ridley won't be a factor in the 2023 offense taking a step forward.
2nd year in the system for a gifted QB is already a good thing, and Ridley should add gasoline to that fire.

But don't worry...

The haterz-club have already identified Ridley, Travon Walker, Trent Baalke and even Khan as their targets this offseason. We are sure to hear a myriad of reasons why Ridley will disappoint.

Not in the haterz-club, but I need to see Ridley produce and stay out of trouble before I’m gonna get excited about him.  2 years away from football combined with partaking in the cardinal sin of gambling on NFL games.  Also, voluntarily walked away the year he was busted for gambling on games.  It’s just kinda wild.  There’s just a lot of evidence of mental weakness and/or illness.

Even if you disagree with the rule he broke, he’s still demonstrated he doesn’t follow rules he doesn’t agree with which is not a good look and damning evidence of immaturity.  Did not express remorse when busted as well.  It’s just a lot to not only overcome physically, but also will he have grown up mentally and stay out of trouble or not turn into a cancer of “me, me, me” in a locker room that has demonstrated “team, team, team” as the philosophy?  It’s a lot in my opinion.

After watching more video of Ridley, I'm really excited to see what he can do next season. I mean everyone knows he's talented but he's the true number 1 we've been missing and he didn't appear to have an issue sharing the load in Atlanta (i.e. not a diva) which he'll need to do with Zay and Kirk and (I hope) Engram. I don't think being away from the game for an extended period will hurt much (although he will have to knock the rust off no doubt).

The gambling thing is another matter, if he has an addiction issue then it's possible it may come up again but if it was just a youthful indiscretion, then there's a pretty good chance he's learned his lesson.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-26-2023, 10:42 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's hard to imagine Ridley won't be a factor in the 2023 offense taking a step forward.
2nd year in the system for a gifted QB is already a good thing, and Ridley should add gasoline to that fire.

But don't worry...

The haterz-club have already identified Ridley, Travon Walker, Trent Baalke and even Khan as their targets this offseason. We are sure to hear a myriad of reasons why Ridley will disappoint.

Not in the haterz-club, but I need to see Ridley produce and stay out of trouble before I’m gonna get excited about him.  2 years away from football combined with partaking in the cardinal sin of gambling on NFL games.  Also, voluntarily walked away the year he was busted for gambling on games.  It’s just kinda wild.  There’s just a lot of evidence of mental weakness and/or illness.

Even if you disagree with the rule he broke, he’s still demonstrated he doesn’t follow rules he doesn’t agree with which is not a good look and damning evidence of immaturity.  Did not express remorse when busted as well.  It’s just a lot to not only overcome physically, but also will he have grown up mentally and stay out of trouble or not turn into a cancer of “me, me, me” in a locker room that has demonstrated “team, team, team” as the philosophy?  It’s a lot in my opinion.

Doug’s apparently a healer though, so we’ll see.

Fair. 

He's entering a WR room that is almost certainly not going to let him disrupt a good thing, so I think he'll either buy in or figure out how to co-exist in a successful environment. 

The other alternative is that his head isn't right, he gets in his own way, and he screws up a good opportunity. 
I'm feeling more inclined to think he'll get onboard or at least figure out how to keep from rocking the boat.

(01-26-2023, 10:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 10:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Won't really know how to judge Ridley until he's reinstated and then hopefully with the team by the time training camp starts. My expectations for him are reasonable. I don't expect him to come in right away and be the 90 receptions, close to 1400 yards receiver that he was in his third year with the Falcons.

I think realistically I would expect a season out of him just like Zay Jones just had during his first year here. Which is fair. He has to come in, learn the system, then he has to find himself within the group and start to gel. Could he get hot early? Yeah. Could he get hot down the stretch when we need him to be "the guy"? Yeah. All of that is possible.

He was typically productive since he entered the NFL. The goal is trying to determine what his pitch count will be and how many targets he might get with this group that's already got a year on him chemistry wise with Lawrence. I would be happy with 50-60 catches, 750 - 850 yards, somewhere around 5 TD's during his first year here. That's with Kirk and Zay and hopefully Engram all getting better, catching more passes and increasing their overall production as well.

That little bit of production that Ridley could provide later on this season would put Lawrence in that high 4800 yard range, 30+ TD range as a QB in year three. That's always good.

He's eligible for reinstatement on February 15th and I see no reason why he would miss OTAs. I'm going on record now that he's 1,200 yards and 8 Tuddies this season. He's a legit stud and will be everything that Chase, Diggs, and Brown are to their teams.
Wooo buddy. Sign me up for that.

He comps very well to Diggs. They're both elite route runners and separators. Knock that rust off in practice and a couple pre season games and then let's ride.

Identifying Baalke as sus isn't really being a hater. Dude has to prove he can GM this off-season.
As for Ridley, I'm all in on him. You watch his game tape on YouTube and it's salivating.

I love Kirk and Zay Jones. And Engram is awesome too. But having a Ridley? That's a game changer. And...

It was Baalke that brought in Ridley. There is much to like about Baalke. But there is one aspect he hasn't proven to be good at, quite yet. There's nothing wrong with being critical of how he handles our Roster this off-season. This offseason may be the difference between going 14-3 and being 1 or 2 in seeding versus 10-7 and being under the 8-ball come playoff time.

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...Ifv9jJLm7Q

So far, so good.

(01-26-2023, 02:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...Ifv9jJLm7Q

So far, so good.

For those that don't click through:

Quote:[b]Q: Any word at all on how Calvin Ridley looks physically right now? Is he ready to play again?[/b]

A: I can report from a source with knowledge of Ridley's workouts as of late that the veteran receiver looks "in prime shape." Ridley has earned rave reviews from those who have seen him workout and prepare for his NFL return. He will be more than ready to play, I beleive. 

Man I really hope Ridley can knock the rust off quickly.

Calling it now. Ridley will have a TD week 1

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 05:18 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-26-2023, 03:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/status/1...mK4AtYp9TA

Would look a lot better with Engram added back + another weapon at TE like Mayer, Washington, Musgrave, LaPorta or Kincaid.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It seems like there is a good chance engram will be back.

(01-26-2023, 06:51 PM)Newton Wrote: It seems like there is a good chance engram will be back.

I definitely hope so. Baalke, make it happen!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I am super excited about us getting Ridley.

If we draft a stud left guard, resign engram, and Ridley can still play, then our offense has a chance to be elite.

Been excited about Ridley sice the day they announced we traded for him! Lers goooo!

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 10:08 AM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

Which player are we getting? The 2020 Calvin Ridley that caught 90 balls for nearly 1400 yards, or the 2021 Calvin that walked away from football? By certain reports and Calvin, he seems to have put the demons behind him mentally and is eager to wear the teal colors. I am excited to see the return on Calvin Ridley, the 2020 player...but am holding my breath that the 2021 Calvin does not reappear.

(01-27-2023, 10:07 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Which player are we getting?  The 2020 Calvin Ridley that caught 90 balls for nearly 1400 yards, or the 2021 Calvin that walked away from football?  By certain reports and Calvin, he seems to have put the demons behind him mentally and is eager to wear the teal colors.  I am excited to see the return on Calvin Ridley, the 2020 player...but am holding my breath that the 2021 Calvin does not reappear.

Mental health is a weird thing. Idk how the Falcons organization/structure was while he was there, but hopefully the camaraderie we seem to have here can help prevent future issues. As someone who knows first hand what depression can do/make you feel, having that support group around him can be huge. I feel like Doug is a guy I'd want to be around in those situations, he seems to genuinely care about his players and their personal lives.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 11:49 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

He claims he only bet $1500, but then forfeited $11.2 Million in salary as a result. Those are the ones he admits to. How many more might be out there? As someone who has struggled with addiction in the past, I can tell you that doing something that is forbidden while knowing that you can lose a lot (maybe everything) with the prospect of gaining very little and still acting upon it is one of the classic behaviours of addiction. He's probably not at Art Schlichter level addiction, but who knows? It bears watching.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Add to it that the Falcons have plenty of cap space and could easily have let this play out in their building and still decided to ship him. They should know him and the situation best.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about the potential for this offense with him in it if he can regain his 2020 form, it just needs to be tempered with a significant dose of realistic expectations for someone who has demonstrated the behaviors and decisions that he has along with the team being willing to trade him when cap is not a concern.

(01-27-2023, 12:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Add to it that the Falcons have plenty of cap space and could easily have let this play out in their building and still decided to ship him. They should know him and the situation best.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about the potential for this offense with him in it if he can regain his 2020 form, it just needs to be tempered with a significant dose of realistic expectations for someone who has demonstrated the behaviors and decisions that he has along with the team being willing to trade him when cap is not a concern.

Also possible he expressed to his agent he didn't want to play in ATL anymore given their QB situation and outlook or just felt he needs a change of scenery so ATL was willing to ship him instead of dealing with a suspended player who doesn't even want be there anymore.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS