Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Pederson Coach of the Year

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 09:01 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-10-2023, 07:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 01:27 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: It's not that, it's because Daboll had the Giants in the playoffs with Daniel Jones. I'd say a slightly more impressive feat than what Doug did, but Doug was absolutely deserving had he won.
The Jags had the #1 overall pick in back to back years. And had to suffer Urban Meyer.

Doug should have won in a landslide

This

(02-10-2023, 01:27 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 12:40 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think the small market hurt him in a tight race such as this.

It's not that, it's because Daboll had the Giants in the playoffs with Daniel Jones. I'd say a slightly more impressive feat than what Doug did, but Doug was absolutely deserving had he won.

Daniel Jones was a top 6 pick and had a better rookie year than Trevor and it was his 4th year.  Daboll did a great job but Pederson should of won it

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-10-2023, 08:50 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think we're surprised that Daboll won.  But I don't think any of us expected that Shanahan would also get more votes than Pederson.
I would have felt more comfortable giving the award to Shannahan than Daboll.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 09:53 AM by Mikey.)

(02-09-2023, 11:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Bah!

Brian Daboll beats out Doug Pederson for NFL Coach of the Year honor (news4jax.com)

understandable. When you have TLaw, it's almost a cheat code.

Daboll was a first time coach and got DJones to look....ok?

That, and he gave New York a team worth watching, and the league is gonna reward that.

(02-10-2023, 01:27 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: It's not that, it's because Daboll had the Giants in the playoffs with Daniel Jones. I'd say a slightly more impressive feat than what Doug did, but Doug was absolutely deserving had he won.
The Jags had the #1 overall pick in back to back years. And had to suffer Urban Meyer.

Doug is a former SB winner, it's kind of expected that he knows how to manage a team and get wins. His past was probably counted against him in the comparison among the top coaches. I'm just glad we have a coach in the dang conversation!!

I think we can all appreciate what Daboll and Shanahan did. Both for different reasons. But what are we talking about here? The Jags had the worst record in the league two years in a row so it is undeniable they have been the worst team in the league. And Doug not only turned them into a team with a winning record, but won their division, took them to the playoffs, and pushed the #1 seed on the road late into the 4th quarter in the second round of the playoffs.

Without question the best head coaching job of the season. I'm sure the small market thing hurt Doug. But I also think the Giants starting off hot and being in the picture the whole year helped. Jags really only gained national recognition late in the season as they made their late season push. May have felt like we were almost sneaking in as opposed to the Giants being in early ( and then hanging on for dear life to make the playoffs).

(02-10-2023, 09:51 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 11:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Bah!

Brian Daboll beats out Doug Pederson for NFL Coach of the Year honor (news4jax.com)

understandable. When you have TLaw, it's almost a cheat code.

Daboll was a first time coach and got DJones to look....ok?

That, and he gave New York a team worth watching, and the league is gonna reward that.

(02-10-2023, 07:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Jags had the #1 overall pick in back to back years. And had to suffer Urban Meyer.

Doug is a former SB winner, it's kind of expected that he knows how to manage a team and get wins. His past was probably counted against him in the comparison among the top coaches. I'm just glad we have a coach in the dang conversation!!
So what was your preseason prediction?

Was it expected that Doug would have taken the Jags from the #1 pick to winning the division and winning a playoff game?

Come on now. He did the best coaching job by a mile this year.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 02:15 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 6 times in total.)

(01-26-2023, 02:29 AM)captivating Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 06:13 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Bingo.

That's just bulls&^t.  Smaller market say it's rigged for bigger markets.  Bigger markets say that the NFL exploits the certainty of bigger markets to ensure smaller markets remain viable.

Quit this rubbish conspiracy crap against the Jags.

Daboll or Pederson are both worthy winners.  Daboll achieved more with a worse roster, but Dougie turned around a disgraceful franchise and gave it credibility.  But that's easier to do with a No. 1 QB.

Well, well, well. The coach of the biggest market team just 'happened' to win. And the 2nd biggest market came in 2nd. Doug P came in a distant 3rd.

"Daboll won a close race with 16 first-place votes and 123 total votes, just ahead of San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan's 100 total points and 12 first-place tallies. Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Pederson (75 points; five first-place nods) took third."

All this in spite of...

Doug P turned around the worst franchise in the league over the last 2 years and made them Division and WC winners.
Doug P erased the dysfunction of last year in one season.
Doug P beat a better team in the Wild Card round and was more competitive than Daboll's Giants in the Divisional loss.
Had a MUCH worse roster than Shanahan
Had a less experienced QB than Daboll

The only way Doug would have gotten this award would have been if we had made it to the AFCCG and either won or lost it close.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Dabol's success is heavily tied to Saquon Barkley's comeback (healthy). 2021 was his 1st season coming back from the ACL injury and he rushed for 593 yards (3.7 YPC) and 2 TDs whereas he was fully healthy in 2022 and rushed for 1300 yards (4.4 YPC) and 10 TDs. Additionally, he had 2 top 10 draft picks (#4 and #7) to assist in the improvement from 4 wins to 9 wins.

By the numbers, Doug Pederson lead the Jags to a much better improvement ....

Did anyone expect anything less? No Jaguar has ever won ……. Of the Year
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Doug did a great job this past season, but I think the award went to the right guy. I really expected us to be a much better team this year, simply because Urban Meyer set the bar so incredibly low. I knew Trevor Lawrence is a franchise QB, despite what his stat lines were his rookie season and despite my wanting different receivers than we ended up with, we did upgrade at the position. (At least they weren't running into one another like they did in 2021.) The Giants on the other hand, I really thought Daboll made a huge mistake taking that with the Giants. They had no decent WR's all season. Daniel Jones had been a complete bust. Saquon Barkley had a history of season ending injuries. They were in a fairly tough division and other than Andrew Thomas, their O-Line was a mess. I really thought they would be competing for the worst record in the NFL and certainly wouldn't win more than 3 games. Daboll proved me wrong. What he did with that team was nothing short of a miracle.

Typical large market bias.

There's a few coaches that deserved it. Daboll certainly, Siriano, Dan Campbell. But Pederson would have definitely got my vote if I had one.

Regardless, your team is going to be a team to be reckoned with for years. I'm looking forward to some epic games between my boy Mahomes and Trevor.

(02-10-2023, 11:07 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 02:29 AM)captivating Wrote: That's just bulls&^t.  Smaller market say it's rigged for bigger markets.  Bigger markets say that the NFL exploits the certainty of bigger markets to ensure smaller markets remain viable.

Quit this rubbish conspiracy crap against the Jags.

Daboll or Pederson are both worthy winners.  Daboll achieved more with a worse roster, but Dougie turned around a disgraceful franchise and gave it credibility.  But that's easier to do with a No. 1 QB.

Well, well, well.  The coach of the biggest market team just 'happened' to win.  And the 2nd biggest market came in 2nd.  Doug P came in a distant 3rd.

"Daboll won a close race with 16 first-place votes and 123 total votes, just ahead of San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan's 100 total points and 12 first-place tallies. Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Pederson (75 points; five first-place nods) took third."

All this in spite of...

Doug P turned around the worst franchise in the league over the last 2 years and made them Division and WC winners.
Doug P erased the dysfunction of last year in one season.
Doug P beat a better team in the Wild Card round and was more competitive than Daboll's Giants in the Divisional loss.
Had a MUCH worse roster than Shanahan
Had a less experienced QB than Daboll

The only way Doug would have gotten this award would have been if we had made it to the AFCCG and either won or lost it close.

No, not even getting to the SB would have changed things...  It's a regular season award, so post-season games aren't considered.  

It is quite bothersome that Daboll won it in spite of only winning 2 of his last 8 games.

I am not psychic by any means, but I saw this coming in him getting screwed. No doubt Daboll did a great job with the Giants, but not as good as DP did for our Jags.

No worries though, as us fans know who the best coach in the league is.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(02-10-2023, 06:20 PM)hawkeye Wrote: There's a few coaches that deserved it. Daboll certainly, Siriano, Dan Campbell. But Pederson would have definitely got my vote if I had one.

Regardless, your team is going to be a team to be reckoned with for years. I'm looking forward to some epic games between my boy Mahomes and Trevor.

Careful what you wish for, lol. In all seriousness, there are a ton of great, young talented QBs in the league now that will make for some awesome battles and rivalries over the next decade. Mahomes is definitely a standard bearer. It's going to be exciting to see the Jags in those conversations in the coming years.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-10-2023, 04:27 PM)copycat Wrote: Did anyone expect anything less?  No Jaguar has ever won ……. Of the Year

We’ve won snub of the year many times.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 08:47 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-10-2023, 04:27 PM)copycat Wrote: Did anyone expect anything less?  No Jaguar has ever won ……. Of the Year

I think Campbell won AFC Defensive player of the year in 2017.

Dougie P got snubbed but I’m biased. Just like Fred Taylor should have won rookie of the year in 1998 and Jones-Drew should have won rookie of the year in 2006.

(02-10-2023, 08:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

I think Campbell won AFC Defensive player of the year in 2017.

Dougie P got snubbed but I’m biased. Just like Fred Taylor should have won rookie of the year in 1998 and Jones-Drew should have won rookie of the year in 2006.

Nope Aaron Donald won it and rightfully so.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-10-2023, 10:26 PM)copycat Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 08:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think Campbell won AFC Defensive player of the year in 2017.

Nope Aaron Donald won it and rightfully so.

AFC dpoy?
Aaron Donald?

I think you have to look at it realisticly. They both essentially accomplished the same thing, Doug had a worse overall roster but the Giants have a bum QB. So unless you think Daniel Jones and Lawrence are around the same skill level, it was pretty clear Dabol would win.

(02-10-2023, 08:50 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think we're surprised that Daboll won.  But I don't think any of us expected that Shanahan would also get more votes than Pederson.

I mean considering what they did with a revolving door at QB it's not surprising, but I do think Doug deserved more credit than he got.

(02-10-2023, 11:33 PM)Kane Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 10:26 PM)copycat Wrote: Nope Aaron Donald won it and rightfully so.

AFC dpoy?
Aaron Donald?

The awards given by the AP are generally considered the official … of the Year awards. They only name one per year for the entire league, not one for each conference. Aaron Donald was 2017 AP Defensive Player of the year with 23 votes. They Mayor came in second with 17 votes. To my knowledge, the Jaguars are the only NFL team to have never had a player or coach win an AP year end award.