Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(10-09-2023, 04:32 PM)carp8dm Wrote: So here's the 2021 Draft...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/...eason/2021

So you can look it all up and not take my word for it...

We had pick 25, where we took Elite-EN. 

From pick 26 to pick 37, no O-Linemen was picked.  So 11 other teams, after us skipped on picking a lineman.  Pick 37 was the Eagles picking up Landon Dickerson.  Turned out to be a good pick.  BUT!!!  He had just blown out his knee in the SEC Championship game that prior December!!!  It was a risky pick.  It paid off, but dude, it was not like teams were clamoring to get him. 

The next O-Lineman drafted in 2021 was at 39 to the Bears.  That guy has only taken 38 snaps this entire season.  Dudes a bench bro.  Just a guy.  Can't even get into the starting lineup.

Next up?  Liam Eichenburg at 42...  Dude's also a back up.  Terrible PFF grade and is riding the bench with only 94 snaps this season.

So guess who's next?  Walker Little at 45.  Do I need to say anymore?

Our holy mods are so wise.  Except when they aren't.

Elite-EN was a great pick up at the perfect spot in that 2021 draft.  And we still got, if not the best available Lineman outside of the top 24 picks, then the 2nd best lineman within that range of draft picks.  (24-45)

Dickerson and Jenkins are who I referred to and I also mentioned we could have traded down. 

What the hell are you blathering about?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2023, 05:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-09-2023, 04:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 03:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Now we don't.  Talking about last year, we were coming off the season with the worst record in the league and the number 1 pick.  The success started last year, not right now.  Etienne was a huge part of our success on offense last year and a big part getting this thing turned around with his 1500 yards in his first season.  Who did you want at 25?

The success started with the drafting of TLaw and was completed with the hiring of Doug Pederson. Last year we added Kirk, Jones, Engram, Scherff, Foye, Fatukasi, Darious Williams, Arden Key (along with a recovered ETN), it was a huge and hugely expensive free agent class. But sure, it was all because ETN played, lol. As for the 2021 draft, ETN was going to be the 3rd down back for Urbsie, he wasn't even taking him to be the starter but to be the gadget guy. It's probably good for ETN that he did get hurt and not have to play for that [BLEEP] hole. I can't imagine how Meyer would've screwed him up if he was actually available and riding the bench in favor of Carlos Hyde.
I know you get confused easily but can you show me where I said this?  I didn't think so, I said he was a huge part of our success these last few years.

(10-09-2023, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

From pick 26 to pick 37, no O-Linemen was picked.  So 11 other teams, after us skipped on picking a lineman.  Pick 37 was the Eagles picking up Landon Dickerson.  Turned out to be a good pick.  BUT!!!  He had just blown out his knee in the SEC Championship game that prior December!!!  It was a risky pick.  It paid off, but dude, it was not like teams were clamoring to get him. 

The next O-Lineman drafted in 2021 was at 39 to the Bears.  That guy has only taken 38 snaps this entire season.  Dudes a bench bro.  Just a guy.  Can't even get into the starting lineup.

Next up?  Liam Eichenburg at 42...  Dude's also a back up.  Terrible PFF grade and is riding the bench with only 94 snaps this season.

Elite-EN was a great pick up at the perfect spot in that 2021 draft.  And we still got, if not the best available Lineman outside of the top 24 picks, then the 2nd best lineman within that range of draft picks.  (24-45)

Dickerson and Jenkins are who I referred to and I also mentioned we could have traded down. 

A number of people wanted Eichenberg, we could of drafted him right?  Oline pick

(10-09-2023, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I'm providing context.  I'm proving that we made the right pick at 25.  

We got an Elite RB in.....  Wait for it...

ELITE-EN!!!!!

(Sorry, that's the closest I can get to Jags colors on the forum editor, there's no Teal I can post, so here's the gold)

And we also got the best available Lineman that has proven his worth in Walker Little.

There's no reason to criticize the pick.  And yet you guys are trying to do so.  I'm just giving context to your criticism and showing maybe there is another way to look at the pick.  For me, I like that we got ETN and Walker Little.  The 2021 draft class for the Jaguars was legit.  There's no reason for you guys to bag on it, in my opinion.

And I provided proof for why I think I'm correct and you aren't.  So...  If you want to insult me, that's cool.  That's what you guys do.  But I provided proof and a link for others to make their own determination.  I feel that's pretty respectful and also very objective.  Instead of insulting all the time.  I like to provide back up for my reasoning...

(10-09-2023, 05:27 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dickerson and Jenkins are who I referred to and I also mentioned we could have traded down. 

I'm providing context.  I'm proving that we made the right pick at 25.  

ELITE-EN!!!!!

(Sorry, that's the closest I can get to Jags colors on the forum editor, there's no Teal I can post, so here's the gold)

And we also got the best available Lineman that has proven his worth in Walker Little.

There's no reason to criticize the pick.  And yet you guys are trying to do so.  I'm just giving context to your criticism and showing maybe there is another way to look at the pick.  For me, I like that we got ETN and Walker Little.  The 2021 draft class for the Jaguars was legit.  There's no reason for you guys to bag on it, in my opinion.

And I provided proof for why I think I'm correct and you aren't.  So...  If you want to insult me, that's cool.  That's what you guys do.  But I provided proof and a link for others to make their own determination.  I feel that's pretty respectful and also very objective.  Instead of insulting all the time.  I like to provide back up for my reasoning...

I insult your bad takes. Not you. You're probably a good guy as far as I can tell. I'm not insulting you personally, just your football acumen. 

Anyway - I love ETN. It turned out to be a great pick. 

I just hate spending big draft capital on running backs philosophically. It's not a good sustainable way to fill your roster in my opinion. 

For every ETN there is a Leonard Fournette and I don't like that gamble. Lots of good backs to be had in mid rounds.

(10-09-2023, 05:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 05:27 PM)carp8dm Wrote: I'm providing context.  I'm proving that we made the right pick at 25.  

ELITE-EN!!!!!

I insult your bad takes. Not you. You're probably a good guy as far as I can tell. I'm not insulting you personally, just your football acumen. 

I just hate spending big draft capital on running backs philosophically. It's not a good sustainable way to fill your roster in my opinion. 

For every ETN there is a Leonard Fournette and I don't like that gamble. Lots of good backs to be had in mid rounds.

The Fournette pick wasnt bad because we took a RB, it was a horrible pick because we didnt take the clear best one in CMC, the same player that broke Barry Sanders record.

(10-09-2023, 05:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 05:27 PM)carp8dm Wrote: I'm providing context.  I'm proving that we made the right pick at 25.  

ELITE-EN!!!!!

Bad takes??  I have none of those.

I get it, it would have been nice to pick up a legit Lineman at 25.  But there wasn't one.  We got the best line man available with Little, and we also got ETN.  

Did Baalke gamble?  Maybe.  But you gotta give him credit that he made the right call.  We got a really great RB and we still got a Guard/Tackle that can be here for years.  Now, if we want to discuss the 2022's draft or 2023's draft, I think I won't defend Baalke.  

The whole 2023 draft is a mystery to me at this point.  We drafted 1 OLineman, and then went heavy on D-Line/ Interior LB even though it's been our strength, all while wasting a pick on a TE in the 2nd round?!!?  Were they thinking that Strange could become a Guard or Tackle or something?!?!  You just paid Engram as the Premier TE.  Why are we wasting a 2nd round pick on a mediocre TE?  Just such a waste.  

If we want to argue about draft picks, let's talk about that!!!  ETN was actually a smart pick based on how it all turned out, in my opinion.

(10-09-2023, 06:06 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 05:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I insult your bad takes. Not you. You're probably a good guy as far as I can tell. I'm not insulting you personally, just your football acumen. 

Bad takes??  I have none of those.

I get it, it would have been nice to pick up a legit Lineman at 25.  But there wasn't one.  We got the best line man available with Little, and we also got ETN.  

Did Baalke gamble?  Maybe.  But you gotta give him credit that he made the right call.  We got a really great RB and we still got a Guard/Tackle that can be here for years.  Now, if we want to discuss the 2022's draft or 2023's draft, I think I won't defend Baalke.  

The whole 2023 draft is a mystery to me at this point.  We drafted 1 OLineman, and then went heavy on D-Line/ Interior LB even though it's been our strength, all while wasting a pick on a TE in the 2nd round?!!?  Were they thinking that Strange could become a Guard or Tackle or something?!?!  You just paid Engram as the Premier TE.  Why are we wasting a 2nd round pick on a mediocre TE?  Just such a waste.  

If we want to argue about draft picks, let's talk about that!!!  ETN was actually a smart pick based on how it all turned out, in my opinion.

I have no problem taking a TE there but to take Strange is the problem.  If say LaPorta fell to us and we had taken him it would of been a great pick.  Hes one of the best TEs in the leage right now.

(10-09-2023, 06:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:06 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Bad takes??  I have none of those.

I have no problem taking a TE there but to take Strange is the problem.  If say LaPorta fell to us and we had taken him it would of been a great pick.  Hes one of the best TEs in the leage right now.

Maybe, your right.  But that's not what happened.  La Porta was taken at 32 and Strange was taken at like 60...  It was a stretch.  Though, I don't know who would have been the better pick.  But clearly at this point, at least a developmental Guard/Center would have been helpful at this point.  And that's what's kinda upsetting.  We didn't really need at 60.  We could have gone with another area of need that had a player with higher upside.  Strange was a bad pick.  A strange pick, even.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2023, 06:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-09-2023, 06:19 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I have no problem taking a TE there but to take Strange is the problem.  If say LaPorta fell to us and we had taken him it would of been a great pick.  Hes one of the best TEs in the leage right now.

Maybe, your right.  But that's not what happened.  La Porta was taken at 32 and Strange was taken at like 60...  It was a stretch.  Though, I don't know who would have been the better pick.  But clearly at this point, at least a developmental Guard/Center would have been helpful at this point.  And that's what's kinda upsetting.  We didn't really need at 60.  We could have gone with another area of need that had a player with higher upside.  Strange was a bad pick.  A strange pick, even.

Yeah, im just pointing out that its not the position taken thats the problem, its the player.  If La Porta was on this team and or any TE for that matter and was doing what LaPorta is doing it would of been a great pick.  We just have to take good players wherever and it will turn into wins.

(10-09-2023, 06:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:19 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Maybe, your right.  But that's not what happened.  La Porta was taken at 32 and Strange was taken at like 60...  It was a stretch.  Though, I don't know who would have been the better pick.  But clearly at this point, at least a developmental Guard/Center would have been helpful at this point.  And that's what's kinda upsetting.  We didn't really need at 60.  We could have gone with another area of need that had a player with higher upside.  Strange was a bad pick.  A strange pick, even.

Yeah, im just pointing out that its not the position taken thats the problem, its the player.  If La Porta was on this team and or any TE for that matter and was doing what LaPorta is doing it would of been a great pick.  We just have to take good players wherever and it will turn into wins.

Lol, Strange is a better player in year 1 than ETN was, maybe we should give him some time..
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-09-2023, 07:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, im just pointing out that its not the position taken thats the problem, its the player.  If La Porta was on this team and or any TE for that matter and was doing what LaPorta is doing it would of been a great pick.  We just have to take good players wherever and it will turn into wins.

Lol, Strange is a better player in year 1 than ETN was, maybe we should give him some time..

I haven't given up on him I just wasn't a fan of the pick with who was available.  Hopefully he turns into a star and I'd love to be wrong on that pick.

Does Strange even have a catch this year? Haven't seen the guy at all, its been all Engram or Farrell. And that may be intentional, both are pretty good, with Engram being excellent. There just aren't any snaps available for the guy to even prove himself, unless either Engram of Farrell get injured.

(10-09-2023, 09:06 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Does Strange even have a catch this year? Haven't seen the guy at all, its been all Engram or Farrell. And that may be intentional, both are pretty good, with Engram being excellent. There just aren't any snaps available for the guy to even prove himself, unless either Engram of Farrell get injured.

He dropped a pass that would have been a first down Sunday on the play before Zay couldn't reel one in at the boundary on third down.

Collectively killing the drive. 

he's getting protection and run block snaps with mixed results

(10-09-2023, 07:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, im just pointing out that its not the position taken thats the problem, its the player.  If La Porta was on this team and or any TE for that matter and was doing what LaPorta is doing it would of been a great pick.  We just have to take good players wherever and it will turn into wins.

Sarcasm I'm sure, since ETN was injured his entire rookie year. It whooshed.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

2 things keep ETN from getting over 100 yds per game with 2 or more TDs
1. The line cant run block consistently between the guards and center.
2. ETN doesn't aleays read blocks well

He was much better at #2 against the Bills. If the line could consistently get him to the 2nd level without contact, he can outrun the back 7 50% of the time.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Bottom line is if you can get etn or backs like the one the falcons drafted, you better do it in the first round. They help you score points!

(10-10-2023, 12:36 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Bottom line is if you can get etn or backs like the one the falcons drafted, you better do it in the first round. They help you score points!
Not true. You can get them anywhere. I mean. Look at how good we've been at it.

Just look at T.J Yeldon, Snoop Conner, Tank Bigsby, Deji Karim... oh... wait...

Yeah. Think you're right.

Fred Taylor. Top ten 10 pick.
Maurice Jones-Drew. 60th overall pick.

It's more hit than miss when you go early for a RB. Not sure why people overthink the value of this position. Fournette had character concerns. In fairness, that whole team did post 2017/2018 run. McCaffrey should have been the pick. Maybe Watson. Maybe Mahomes.

Again. If the guy is producing yardage and points though? Why does it concern so many? It's obviously not that easy, otherwise, couldn't we've replaced Etienne by now with Conner or Bigsby?

Same way we replaced Fournette with Robinson? Where's Robinson again? Basically done. He's done. It was the right decision at the end of the day.

Biggest thing to circle back on. Who the hell are you drafting instead there? Can't say St. Brown. If you do you're full of [BLEEP]. He was a 4th RD pick for a reason...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Basically a bad team taking a RB in the top 10 is a bad move.

Obviously with hindsight we should have taken McCaffery over Fournette but the Panthers only finished above 500 once in all the time he was there I believe however good he is.

He can obviously make a real difference on an elite team as he's proving now with the Niners

(10-10-2023, 04:57 AM)WYjagsfan Wrote: Basically a bad team taking a RB in the top 10 is a bad move.

Obviously with hindsight we should have taken McCaffery over Fournette but the Panthers only finished above 500 once in all the time he was there I believe however good he is.

He can obviously make a real difference on an elite team as he's proving now with the Niners
The 49ers were winning before him and they’ll win after him. 

That team is good because of Shannahan and Lynch.

And in hindsight, the Jags should have taken Mahomes lol

(10-10-2023, 04:57 AM)WYjagsfan Wrote: Basically a bad team taking a RB in the top 10 is a bad move.

This is the point I've made for months with which some folks here keep arguing. The article I posted yesterday goes back 10 years to look at how consistently true that fact is, even discussing that the year CMac was the best RB in the League the team only finished 5-11. In short, RBs don't make bad teams good, but they can make good teams great, hence bad teams shouldn't take them early in the draft.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato