Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:I love how people just clump all 2nd round QBs together.

1. The #33 pick is closer in value to pick 1.32 than pick 2.02.

2. This class is going to be deeper than most classes where teams had to reach for hot garbage in the 2nd round.

Why do you think QBs last into the 2nd round? If they are special talents they will go in the first. I dont see the point in settling for less at the most important position.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM by Etdavis2006.)

I personally would take Bridgewater. He plays the more important position. That's simply it. They both are top prospects but the QB just carries more weight than the DE. The way the game is played now defenses are holding elite teams to less than 3 points just don't exist like that. And those defenses that do are typically historically good defenses.

Nowadays the game is won by scoring via passing game. Yes defense is great to have but trying to assemble a historically good defense to win a championship with an average QB is harder than drafting QB's until you get the guy and winning with a decent defense. A good defense with a solid QB wont win a superbowl. You need one of the best defenses ever in the game to win a superbowl with an average QB.

Im not arguing that Clowney wont make it or isn't a prospect on the same level as Teddy, I'm just stating that to win in this league you have to have "the guy". The texans with all that defense still wont go as far as Schaub will take them. the niners wont get on track until and Kaep plays better and the same goes for the bengals. Meanwhile Luck is on his way to a division title and Denver is on a roll with the 30th ranked pass defense in the league.  

i have no problem taking teddy, but the way caldwell is gutting this team, we have so much more needs that it should be better taking a qb later to develop while we improve our defense and offensive line. instead of just throwing him into the line we currently have and expect him to come from behind every single game because our defense isnt as good as needed to help a young qb. see how seattle built their franchise, they built it from the ground up having really good dline and olines and they plugged in wilson and he did fine without asked to do a lot. putting too much pressure on a young qb to carry a team on his back is too much sometimes and it might deter their development.

Quote:i have no problem taking teddy, but the way caldwell is gutting this team, we have so much more needs that it should be better taking a qb later to develop while we improve our defense and offensive line. instead of just throwing him into the line we currently have and expect him to come from behind every single game because our defense isnt as good as needed to help a young qb. see how seattle built their franchise, they built it from the ground up having really good dline and olines and they plugged in wilson and he did fine without asked to do a lot. putting too much pressure on a young qb to carry a team on his back is too much sometimes and it might deter their development.

I think this offensive line can be better next year.  Let's see what Pazstor does -- and I'm sure we'll sign some O-linemen in free agency as well as the draft.  

I think this defense is a little better than it looks.  I don't think we can be a playoff team next year, but I think we can win 6~ games.  That'll be a major improvement in just a year.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:i have no problem taking teddy, but the way caldwell is gutting this team, we have so much more needs that it should be better taking a qb later to develop while we improve our defense and offensive line. instead of just throwing him into the line we currently have and expect him to come from behind every single game because our defense isnt as good as needed to help a young qb. see how seattle built their franchise, they built it from the ground up having really good dline and olines and they plugged in wilson and he did fine without asked to do a lot. putting too much pressure on a young qb to carry a team on his back is too much sometimes and it might deter their development.
If he's worth taking #1 overall, you can't afford to wait. You can't count on getting another opportunity to draft a franchise caliber QB.

Besides, if he's as good as advertised, he will make our OL look much better. And our defense can play well enough to keep us in games as long as the offense is producing.

Quote:If he's worth taking #1 overall, you can't afford to wait. You can't count on getting another opportunity to draft a franchise caliber QB.

Besides, if he's as good as advertised, he will make our OL look much better. And our defense can play well enough to keep us in games as long as the offense is producing.

Nailed it.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 06:07 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Trying to become the next Seattle is a complete waste of time. Trying to duplicate Schneider's countless correct personnel moves and finding all those diamonds in the rough is more than likely going to get Caldwell fired if results take too long to surface.

In hindsight, Russell Wilson was incorrectly scouted and valued by just about every team in the league. He wasn't a third-rounder; his talent was that of a top-three pick. Richard Sherman even more so. Trusting your front office to go against the grain and evaluate a prospect more accurately than every other team's scouting department instead of just taking the consensus number-one pick is a risk I wouldn't want to take if I'm a Jaguars fan. The guy available at 33 is -- MORE THAN LIKELY -- not going to have the career that Teddy Bridgewater will.

Quote:And yes, this class is incredibly deep. There are a handful of guys that have potential to drop to pick 33 and still become franchise QBs.
You know that there was a time when Chad Henne COULD potentially be that guy for the Dolphins since, you know, he was taken in the 2nd round.

Just so you know, any prospect, even those who were taken in the 7th round that no one knows of, can potentially be franchise QB. The KEY is to find those who has the BEST chance of becoming that qb. The ones that have the best chance are those taken in the first round. This team is in absolute DIRE need of a difference maker at qb. This is why you should take the best prospect available, and not some 2nd round project.

You making a "what if" scenario, I'm just using statistics.

Quote:I'm not saying pass on Teddy B. and hope to get a guy at #33 that pans out, I'm saying that if our Front Office likes guys they know will be there later, it is an option. This idea that there are NO other options is "incredibly annoying".
The question is does the guy whom they like has a better chance of succeeding in this league than the first QB prospect taken. If the answer is no, then making that choice is not the right one.

Wow, Clowney's stock keeps falling
A good loser is a good loser

Good for Spurrier. Faking an injury makes you deserving of a public shaming.

Clowney is guaranteed a top 3 pick. Even if he is healthy the rest of the season, his stock isn't getting any higher (or lower) than it is right now. He's probably just trying to stay healthy and get ready for the combine.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM by Jagmanforlife.)

Quote:Clowney is guaranteed a top 3 pick. Even if he is healthy the rest of the season, his stock isn't getting any higher (or lower) than it is right now. He's probably just trying to stay healthy and get ready for the combine.
I think his stock has plummeted...I wouldn't touch Clowney with a 10 foot pole.  He basically QUIT on his team...You can tell by Spurriers comments about Clowney that it wasn't the team DR's that came to Spurrier...It's Clowney thinking about getting paid on the next level...He can give a hoot about SC now...He has his eyes on his pay day...I have no respect for a player of Clowneys ilk....He may get drafted in the 15 -25 range,  but from everyone thinking he was the consensus # 1 player before the season...His play on the field proves otherwise {Now taking whole games off, instead of plays.}.

We doing it BIG....Florida State bringing that SWAG back in 2013!!!!    

<p style="text-align:center;"> 

I used to think a team drafting Clowney in the top three would be a no-brainer -- and a team may still do that.  But I think his questionable work ethic, his lackluster performance this season, to go along with his planned post-season surgery will cause his stock to take a bit of a hit.

I'd bet my next paycheck we don't take Clowney with the first or second pick.

Clowney has injuries, doesn't communicate with his coaches, might have surgery after the season...red flags everywhere. I want no part of him. The Giants will probably take him.

Quote:I used to think a team drafting Clowney in the top three would be a no-brainer -- and a team may still do that.  But I think his questionable work ethic, his lackluster performance this season, to go along with his planned post-season surgery will cause his stock to take a bit of a hit.

I'd bet my next paycheck we don't take Clowney with the first or second pick.

You should feel comfortable with that. There is no way Clowney winds up a Jaguar.

Let's see how Pirkster defend this move. I don't care about some of the red flags regarding Clowney's performance right now. Clowney's attitude reminds me of a certain player who would threaten to sit out the last season of his contract because he demands more money.

There's a good chance Jadeveon Clowney isn't the first defender drafted, Anthony Barr (who is a Von Miller clone) might be that guy.

see.....remember my "name" hypothesis......

the prophecy is coming true!...... Wink 

Quote:There's a good chance Jadeveon Clowney isn't the first defender drafted, Anthony Barr (who is a Von Miller clone) might be that guy.
Clowney is a guaranteed top 3 pick. But he won't be the first overall pick.

Quote:see.....remember my "name" hypothesis......

the prophecy is coming true!...... Wink

To be fair, Bridgewater isn't a great name either. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.