Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

One other thing, If Browns would match 22 million in a heartbeat as suggested on PFT, then what was Mack asking for in negotiations that they wouldn't agree to?  I mean that would put them at 22 million for 2 years.  Assuming Mack was looking for say 9 million a year, that would only put them on the hook for 5 million in year 3, which would be a bargain compared to 1st 2 years.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

AFC

There is no logic in that PFT post whatsoever. Its kinda funny actually. 

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 02:00 PM by Markulous.)

Quote:One other thing, If Browns would match 22 million in a heartbeat as suggested on PFT, then what was Mack asking for in negotiations that they wouldn't agree to?  I mean that would put them at 22 million for 2 years.  Assuming Mack was looking for say 9 million a year, that would only put them on the hook for 5 million in year 3, which would be a bargain compared to 1st 2 years.  
If it was true, then the only reason would be that Mack really does not like the organization and just wants out at all costs.  I've never seen that expressed, however, and Cleveland is a team on the rise.  Likely, the article was just false.

Quote:There is no logic in that PFT post whatsoever. Its kinda funny actually. 

sure is this article is a lot better.

http://overthecap.com/can-jaguars-sign-a...ay-browns/

The thought of Mike Brewster starting anywhere on our line makes me want to do hardcore drugs.

Only a chump boos the home team!

I also don't understand why  team would want a player who does not want to be there.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

PFT post is dumb. They are completely dismissing the importance of long term security. They make it sound like being tagged is an absolute coup for a player.

Quote:I thought about posting a new thread about State Tax ramifications concerning Alex Mack.

I am not starting a discussion on taxes, if you have strong beliefs on taxes, post in the Sideline. Not here!

A casual look shows that in Ohio he may be responsible for:

5.92%      State Tax

1.00%      Cleveland

2.25%      Township

1.25%       County/Local

This is an average figure based on locations where high income individuals might choose to live.

There is another set of education, property and associated taxes that are more location specific.

After speaking with an Enrolled Agent I know in Shaker Heights with first hand knowledge of

NFL Player exposure to taxes, she states that the Jaguars are playing with a 15% advantage over

Cleveland on taxes, fees and additional levy's.

That and the fact Mack would prefer to play elsewhere and has an agent who is extremely creative in packaging a deal

to make his client happy would all be advantages to the Jaguars. Her family are legacy ticket holders and she loathes us. Good.

SO, by the Jags being patient and seeing what the market would bring, knowing that their intended acquisition would like to move and having
an additional 15% or so to play with while packaging an offer to the total disadvantage of the Browns, with help of his agent is all good. 
I would not care to sit across the poker table with Dave.

Go Jags

HeadSlap

Your logic is flawed.   The taxes you cite apply to Mack, not to the Browns.   The tax difference may mean that Mack would prefer Jacksonville, but that has nothing to do with the basic decision, which is, do the Browns match.   Mack would make more money playing for the Jags than he would playing for the Browns, but the Browns don't care about that because the Browns don't pay those taxes; Mack does.   If the Jags offer him x dollars, and the Browns match, the Browns pay x dollars, the same amount of money the Jags would pay him.  

So, the tax difference would make a difference for Mack, but the tax difference would have no effect on the Browns, because if he signs a deal with us, all the Browns have to do is take the deal.   Those taxes have no effect on them, once they have a signed contract they can match.  

I'm not sure if there is a rule against this, or if it counts as a poison pill, but if not, I believe this would be a guaranteed way to obtain Mack.

You sign him to a 1 year contract with 25 million guaranteed.  If the Browns match, their cap is ruined for the year.  In the likely event they don't match - he's a Jaguar.  At that point the Jaguars offer him a contract extension for whatever they and Mack agree to before signing the original offer sheet.  This would amortize the signing bonus over the duration of the length of the contract.

Quote:I also don't understand why  team would want a player who does not want to be there.

I don't think Mack has ever said he doesn't want to play in Cleveland.  He just wants a big contract. 

Quote:I'm not sure if there is a rule against this, or if it counts as a poison pill, but if not, I believe this would be a guaranteed way to obtain Mack.

You sign him to a 1 year contract with 25 million guaranteed. If the Browns match, their cap is ruined for the year. In the likely event they don't match - he's a Jaguar. At that point the Jaguars offer him a contract extension for whatever they and Mack agree to before signing the original offer sheet. This would amortize the signing bonus over the duration of the length of the contract.

I believe people would notice that and repercussions would follow.

Quote:I'm not sure if there is a rule against this, or if it counts as a poison pill, but if not, I believe this would be a guaranteed way to obtain Mack.

You sign him to a 1 year contract with 25 million guaranteed.  If the Browns match, their cap is ruined for the year.  In the likely event they don't match - he's a Jaguar.  At that point the Jaguars offer him a contract extension for whatever they and Mack agree to before signing the original offer sheet.  This would amortize the signing bonus over the duration of the length of the contract.

The NFL would void that.   You can't make a fake offer like that. 

Plus, there's a rule that you can only renegotiate once a year.  

I'm sure now he's met Dave and Gus he'll want to be a Jag instead of returning to the carousel of HC's and GM's in Cleveland. I don't even know who they have as GM now, last I remember it was that NFL Network guy but they probably fired him already.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM by Jinjo.)

Haha this would be genius, its probably not allowed though. 

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Quote:The NFL would void that.   You can't make a fake offer like that. 

Plus, there's a rule that you can only renegotiate once a year.  

I don't know the complete legalities of the rule, but the NFL never voided any of the poison pill deals because they were technically legal at the times.

Also, I don't know how much the NFL would really frown upon the Jaguars doing that.  I think the NFLPA would be in support of it.  It's not like any team could just swoop in and snatch a player they want that's tagged.  It would require a pre-negotiated agreement between player and new team to make this work.  This would probably only be used in cases like this potentially - where a player is being held hostage long-term by a team for which he doesn't want to play.  It's a way out.

Quote:Also, I don't know how much the NFL would really frown upon the Jaguars doing that.  I think the NFLPA would be in support of it.  It's not like any team could just swoop in and snatch a player they want that's tagged.  It would require a pre-negotiated agreement between player and new team to make this work.  This would probably only be used in cases like this potentially - where a player is being held hostage long-term by a team for which he doesn't want to play.  It's a way out.

But I'm pretty sure there's a rule you can only renegotiate once a year.   Once he signs the offer sheet, he can't go back and renegotiate it until a year passes.  

To me it seems like Mack just doesnt want to sign a long deal with CLE. So if he signs an offer sheet he kinda puts himself in a bad situation where CLE could match and he would be stuck there even though he wants to leave. 

Any more news on Mack? I've been updating twitter all day, but only see Browns fans complaining about him and the jags..
Shock the world