Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Nice try Caldwell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Nice try Caldwell.
Have faith my brotha... It's not over yet.

Quote:I wonder what the signing bonus is. Couldn't that play a role? Especially if he does opt out and they're still carrying a large cap hit, or even what it is on top of the guarantee.

Honestly if you're trying to hit Cleveland with as hard of a contract to swallow, you'd make the most guaranteed money in the first two years guaranteed salary.  That's what has the biggest cap hit.  It would make them choose between Haden, Gordon, and whoever else they lose.  If they match, they lose one of their best skill position players.  If they don't, they lose their center.  It's a lose-lose situation for Cleveland either way.

Quote:Nice try Caldwell.

lol, the contract hasn't even been signed yet.

But troll on brah.

;

;

I remember back around 1996 or 1997, the Jaguars tried to sign Alonzo Spellman from the Bears, got him to sign an offer sheet, and the Bears matched it and we didn't get him.  

Sometimes things work out for the best, even though you didn't get what you wanted at the time. 

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/7/24/3...-adversity

"He only played 2 years of that contract with the Bears and missed 9 games in 1997. He had a well publicized breakdown in a doctor's office where he pulled a telephone off the wall and threatened suicide because of his frustration that his doctor was late to the appointment. Reportedly he was under the influence of alcohol and had possession of a firearm during this incident. He refused to take medication for his bipolar disorder, refused to get treatment for an injured shoulder, and had a problem with illegal drugs, so the Bears released him."

So in the words of Garth Brooks, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers..."  

Hey, you win some and you lose some!   And sometimes, when you think you lost, you actually won.  

Quote:5 years and I heard it might be all guaranted money?
Heard from where might i inquire.

That would be an intresting twist, especially with the player only opt-out clause.

We still don't know the details of the offer, it has been all to predictable of the usual cast of characters

who jump in and pontificate, poo-poo or whine about the deal when they know nothing about the deal.

It ain't over....till it's over.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:I remember back around 1996 or 1997, the Jaguars tried to sign Alonzo Spellman from the Bears, got him to sign an offer sheet, and the Bears matched it and we didn't get him.  

Sometimes things work out for the best, even though you didn't get what you wanted at the time. 

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/7/24/3...-adversity

"He only played 2 years of that contract with the Bears and missed 9 games in 1997. He had a well publicized breakdown in a doctor's office where he pulled a telephone off the wall and threatened suicide because of his frustration that his doctor was late to the appointment. Reportedly he was under the influence of alcohol and had possession of a firearm during this incident. He refused to take medication for his bipolar disorder, refused to get treatment for an injured shoulder, and had a problem with illegal drugs, so the Bears released him."

So in the words of Garth Brooks, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers..."  

Hey, you win some and you lose some!   And sometimes, when you think you lost, you actually won.  

Remember the Spellman thing well. They did the same with Quentin Coryatt and Todd Lyght too. All got matched and worked out.

Kyle Brady was the same situation and obviously the Jets did not match.

;

;

@JasonLaCanfora: Several execs believe the Jags offer will include a trigger date after the franchise tag period, where Mack can void the contract in 2015

Quote:If true, CLE has some dumb owners. Why would you put yourselfs in a hole  by oversigning  a  player who wants out? How are they going to resign any of their other top players next off season? And CLE fans think we're the dumb ones.
The Browns have tons of cap space and you can carry over the cap space. As of right now the Browns cap hit for 2015 is roughly 81 mil, plus they may get to carry about 20 mil into next. Those figures will change of course after signing draft picks but I think the Browns will have plenty of space to sign extensions for players.

Quote:Wishful thinking IMO....

...The Browns will likely match, and quickly, too. Nothing to think about at all. 

Quote:I can't see them not matching it, especially with the rhetoric from Haslam about re-signing him. 

I was hoping our side would have made it tougher for Cleveland than that, --- given the numbers reported in the article, its almost like we did Cleveland a favor with that contract. They'll probably agree to match that within the same day as he signs the Jax offer. Its nothing to even make them need time to think it over, its so easy. 

Quote:@AdamSchefter: Once it is signed, Browns figure to match Jacksonville's five-year offer sheet to C Alex Mack "in no time at all", per source.

Welp

I got Schefter by 8-9 hours on this....

People like to rip on me, but I know my football.  

Quote:I got Schefter by 8-9 hours on this....

You know how to troll and cause controversy. That is about it. 

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

i hate cleveland

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 09:52 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I was excited for a while myself, but it's ok too. Like TMD said (and has of course since reneged on) they showed good effort and even if Cleveland does match we were willing to give a FA a record breaking deal that is good.

I said earlier 40-50% above the next highest center (with more than double the guaranteed money) was an awfully high price to pay for a very good but not great player. If it happened great but there shouldn't be anger that it didn't. The only thing that got me hopeful was the tweet about the Browns not holding him hostage if he really wanted to leave, but in his own words while he wanted to go to Jax he was also willing and prepared to stay in Cleveland if they did match. Jax preference sure, but definitely not a hostage situation. 

The Jags offered a record amount of money to get a non glorified position and a team that had more money and the rights to match appear ready to do just that. Nothing more we could have done.

I have not "reneged" on it. I still give Caldwell credit for at least targeting the right guy. Excuse me for showing some disappointment regarding the actual contract we offered him. As this story was building up to last night pre-contract they made it sound as if Caldwell/ the agent would be creative with this thing and make it really difficult for Cleveland to match which got me excited at our chances; thinking that Mack playing for the Jags next year was a legit good chance of happening. That never happened. No, the contract that we ultimately gave Mack looks like its a cake walk for Cleveland to match and yeah as a Jags fan thats a let down. Had we made an offer that was actually a bit creative and tough to match and then Cleveland still matched - well then at that point you tip your hat to the competition and say congrats, and I would have felt better at our effort. THis contract was almost as if it was a favor to Cleveland, it was so easy to match. 

[Image: robert-deniro-laughing.gif]

;

;

Idiot Browns, can't wait till next season when Gordon is due. The Browns just show why they are among the worst teams in terms of Football Operations in the NFL.

Quote:Idiot Browns, can't wait till next season when Gordon is due. The Browns just show why they are among the worst teams in terms of Football Operations in the NFL.
Again the Browns have tons of cap space next yr and Gordon is signed thru 2015.

Quote:Again the Browns have tons of cap space next yr and Gordon is signed thru 2015.

Tons of cap, means nothing when you have players that are gonna want new deals, and or players that will need new deals. The Browns just showed the NFL why they are a major laugh and disgrace to the people of Cleveland.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 09:55 AM by ukjag34.)

Quote:I have not "reneged" on it. I still give Caldwell credit for targeting the right guy. Excuse me for showing some disappointment regarding the actual contract we offered him. As this story was building up to last night pre-contract they made it sound as if Caldwell/ the agent would be creative with this thing and make it really difficult for Cleveland to match which got me thinking that Mack playing for the Jags next year was a legit good chance of happening. That never happened. No, the contract that we ultimately gave Mack looks like its a cake walk for Cleveland to match and yeah as a Jags fan thats a let down. Had we made an offer that was actually a bit creative and tough to match and then Cleveland still matched - well then at that point you tip your hat to the competition and say congrats, and I would have felt better at our effort. THis contract was almost as if it was a favor to Cleveland, it was so easy to match.
Can you give us the link to the cake walk contract details I have searched but can't find any official report?

Considering the contract hasn't been signed or even written up as far as I can tell I feel you may have jumped to conclusions

The Browns said the whole time they'd match....days ago not just a few hours ago. But continue, maybe you'll pull something patting yourself on the back. Whats your next guess? Yesterdays winning lottery numbers?

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Tons of cap, means nothing when you have players that are gonna want new deals, and or players that will need new deals. The Browns just showed the NFL why they are a major laugh and disgrace to the people of Cleveland.
Wait... how does having tons of cap space hurt a team when they are trying to sign a player? Having a lot of money to sign a player to a big contract is a bad thing???