Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:The contract offer is a $46 million contract total.  That would make him the highest paid center in the league.  I don't think it's a soft offer.  

Its one that the Browns can match reasonably easy, IMO. We'll see if they do. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, they can't offer anything to persuade the Browns to not match:

"No Consideration Between Clubs. There may be no consideration of any kind given by one Club to another Club in exchange for a Club’s decision to exercise or not to exercise its Right of First Refusal"

That's all fine and good.  If you don't think it could be done in a way to get around this, you're kidding yourself. 

For the record, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's certainly something they could navigate to assure Cleveland plays nice.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:That's all fine and good.  If you don't think it could be done in a way to get around this, you're kidding yourself. 

For the record, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's certainly something they could navigate to assure Cleveland plays nice.

lol

you

FENCE

Quote:Nope. 

I have said many many times that I have zero problem overpaying/ paying a lot for free agents that are top 5 at their position. 

What I have also said is the type of FA deal I HATE is overpaying for AVERAGE to GOOD FA's like we have been known to do in the past with Pashos, Session, Landry, Porter, et al....

You're wrong again. 
You might want to make a note so you remember this position because I have zero doubt that if they land Mack, you'll be spinning it in a different direction after what you deem to be an appropriate interval.  It's what you do.  For you, complaining incessantly is like oxygen to the average person.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:lol

you

FENCE

Do you even understand what you posted above? 

I'm betting not since when it comes to fence straddling, you look at that fence post like a popsicle does a stick. 

Quote:IMO 80% chance the Browns match. The worst that can happen is they get the guy for two years for $18 million. They can use those two years to persuade him to sign a new, longer contract. I don't see how this is any worse than signing him to that transition tag they had on him.

They're "mulling it over" because they need to read the contract. They haven't even read it yet. And now that the Jags have called their bluff, they can quit the posturing and take the available 5 days to consider their options.

They will match.

If they don't sign him today then they are doing more then just looking over the contract IMO.

Quote:Its one that the Browns can match reasonably easy, IMO. We'll see if they do. 

"immediately"

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You might want to make a note so you remember this position because I have zero doubt that if they land Mack, you'll be spinning it in a different direction after what you deem to be an appropriate interval.  It's what you do.  For you, complaining incessantly is like oxygen to the average person.

I don't need to make a note of this to remember this position. Its always been my position. I have zero issue overpaying for top 5 talent in FA. I've probably said this 100 times. Overpaying for average or close is what I hate. 

Quote:That's all fine and good.  If you don't think it could be done in a way to get around this, you're kidding yourself. 

I don't think the Jaguars will sweeten the deal by throwing them a pick for a practice squad player. 

Quote:IMO 80% chance the Browns match.   The worst that can happen is they get the guy for two years for $18 million.   They can use those two years to persuade him to sign a new, longer contract.   I don't see how this is any worse than signing him to that transition tag they had on him. 

They're "mulling it over" because they need to read the contract.   They haven't even read it yet.   And now that the Jags have called their bluff, they can quit the posturing and take the available 5 days to consider their options.   

They will match.  
I don't think it's as close to a slam dunk as you indicate, but it is a deal they could match.  But, they have to take into consideration the no trade clause, the opt out, and what contracts are on the horizon they're going to be dealing with that will command significant resources.  I think that brings things closer to stasis. 

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:"immediately"

If they agree to match within 24 hours that pretty much constitutes as "immediately" IMO

Quote:If they don't sign him today then they are doing more then just looking over the contract IMO.

No need for them to do it today.   My prediction is that they will take a few days, leak word of their decision to match, and file the papers with the league next Wednesday.    We're going to be twisting in the wind until then. 

Quote:Hope the Browns match. Jaguars don't need to be using that cap space on a center.

Who else are we going to use it on?  We don't have any blue chip players coming up anytime soon that will need to be resigned.  Cecil is probably the closest thing we have to a high end player right now and he won't break the bank.  You gotta spend it.  Spend it.  Doesn't hurt the team at all, but only makes our line a LOT better than it was last year.

Quote:I don't think the Jaguars will sweeten the deal by throwing them a pick for a practice squad player. 

Nor do I, but to think there's no possible way it could happen is pretty shortsighted.  Teams find creative ways to get deals done all the time.  The league is usually a step behind. 

Quote:No need for them to do it today.   My prediction is that they will take a few days, leak word of their decision to match, and file the papers with the league next Wednesday.    We're going to be twisting in the wind until then. 

If they do it like that, its probably just for spite. 

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:lol

you

FENCE
What? When there isnt 100% outcome on an issue, then theres only speculation/guesses. Hardly riding the fence. How can anyone make a carte blanche statement when they dont know; especially in a case like this where perhaps only 2 people actually know..Browns rep and Jags rep. Anyone making a statement like they "know" what going to happen in this situation is delusional

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Of course, but my question was is why even submit the contract if it's unlikely to work?  Either Browns fans/front office is bluffing or Caldwell is just throwing darts, which I don't understand why he would.  There's something I'm missing here...

Because it let's you set the terms.  Either you get the player, or the other team pays by the terms that you set.  

If the Browns take the deal -- and there's a good chance of that happening -- then they're going to have to use the contract that the Jags drew up -- which will ultimately be less friendly for the Browns.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I don't think it's as close to a slam dunk as you indicate, but it is a deal they could match.  But, they have to take into consideration the no trade clause, the opt out, and what contracts are on the horizon they're going to be dealing with that will command significant resources.  I think that brings things closer to stasis. 

I hope you are right. 

Quote:I don't need to make a note of this to remember this position. Its always been my position. I have zero issue overpaying for top 5 talent in FA. I've probably said this 100 times. Overpaying for average or close is what I hate. 

Don't worry.  We'll remind you.

Quote:I don't think it's as close to a slam dunk as you indicate, but it is a deal they could match.  But, they have to take into consideration the no trade clause, the opt out, and what contracts are on the horizon they're going to be dealing with that will command significant resources.  I think that brings things closer to stasis. 

They also have Haden and Gordon that are going to be getting big deals coming up soon.  That's why this will give them pause, and why it was front loaded.  If they take mack, they lose Gordon or Haden.  It's a lose/lose situation basically for them regardless of what they do.