Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After Further Review...

I must admit, at first I was not only shocked, but disagreed with last night's pick.  Full disclosure... I'm not a "draft junkie" and I don't really watch college football all that much.  I leisurely follow the sports page and watch Sportscenter every now and then to get my sports news.  So last night's pick was a surprise to me.  I had figured that Bortles would drop way down, and that we would target some of our other needs with the #3 pick, or quite possibly trade down to gain more picks.

That being said, after looking at the coverage from many different sources (CBS Sports, NFL Network, ESPN, FOX Sports and Jaguars.com) I have changed my opinion.  I believe that something special could be happening with this franchise right before our very eyes.

Looking at highlight reels of the available quarterbacks, this "Johnny Football" guy looks to me like he is Tim Tebow II.  Sure he is athletic and very talented, but how he played the college game doesn't really stack up to much in the pro game.  Best case scenario for him is he ends up being an RGIII or a Cam Newton.  I don't even think that it's that good, and I think that all of the media coverage has probably gone to his head.

The Bortles highlights, though not particularly impressive, reminded me more of a good NFL quarterback.  Some people compare him to Ben Roethlisberger, and that might be kind of accurate, but I also see a bit of Steve McNair, Tom Brady and a splash of Mark Brunell in his younger days.  He's big, mobile, has good pocket presence and has a pretty good arm.  Is he perfect?  Not at all by any means, but he is a player that can be developed.

Watching the interviews and press conferences, his demeanor reminds me a lot of Brunell.  Very humble, and knows what his roll is going to be.  He doesn't have the "dumb jock" persona, he has the young "I want to learn and succeed" type of attitude.

I don't know what it is about him, but I just think that he is going to one day be the next "NFL star" quarterback.  Will he make it to the level of Brunell, Manning, Brady, Montana, Marino or Elway?  Only time will tell, but I just have a gut feeling that feels pretty good.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I must admit, at first I was not only shocked, but disagreed with last night's pick.  Full disclosure... I'm not a "draft junkie" and I don't really watch college football all that much.  I leisurely follow the sports page and watch Sportscenter every now and then to get my sports news.  So last night's pick was a surprise to me.  I had figured that Bortles would drop way down, and that we would target some of our other needs with the #3 pick, or quite possibly trade down to gain more picks.

That being said, after looking at the coverage from many different sources (CBS Sports, NFL Network, ESPN, FOX Sports and Jaguars.com) I have changed my opinion.  I believe that something special could be happening with this franchise right before our very eyes.

Looking at highlight reels of the available quarterbacks, this "Johnny Football" guy looks to me like he is Tim Tebow II.  Sure he is athletic and very talented, but how he played the college game doesn't really stack up to much in the pro game.  Best case scenario for him is he ends up being an RGIII or a Cam Newton.  I don't even think that it's that good, and I think that all of the media coverage has probably gone to his head.

The Bortles highlights, though not particularly impressive, reminded me more of a good NFL quarterback.  Some people compare him to Ben Roethlisberger, and that might be kind of accurate, but I also see a bit of Steve McNair, Tom Brady and a splash of Mark Brunell in his younger days.  He's big, mobile, has good pocket presence and has a pretty good arm.  Is he perfect?  Not at all by any means, but he is a player that can be developed.

Watching the interviews and press conferences, his demeanor reminds me a lot of Brunell.  Very humble, and knows what his roll is going to be.  He doesn't have the "dumb jock" persona, he has the young "I want to learn and succeed" type of attitude.

I don't know what it is about him, but I just think that he is going to one day be the next "NFL star" quarterback.  Will he make it to the level of Brunell, Manning, Brady, Montana, Marino or Elway?  Only time will tell, but I just have a gut feeling that feels pretty good.
If he's not as good as Brunell we're in trouble. 

I hear you. It was easy to be surprised by this pick. But the overwhelming impression I'm getting from between the lines is that this dude has the "it" factor that Gabbert so sorely lacked. Exciting times to be a Jag fan!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I hear you. It was easy to be surprised by this pick. But the overwhelming impression I'm getting from between the lines is that this dude has the "it" factor that Gabbert so sorely lacked. Exciting times to be a Jag fan!

Great way to sum up my comments!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I also like his composure and demeanor.  He has this swagger to him like he knows what he needs to do to be great and he's willing to do it.  I liked that about Johnny and i admire that about Bortles as well.  I think we're going receiver in the 2nd but Go Jags.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I must admit, at first I was not only shocked, but disagreed with last night's pick.  Full disclosure... I'm not a "draft junkie" and I don't really watch college football all that much.  I leisurely follow the sports page and watch Sportscenter every now and then to get my sports news.  So last night's pick was a surprise to me.  I had figured that Bortles would drop way down, and that we would target some of our other needs with the #3 pick, or quite possibly trade down to gain more picks.

I'll plus one this cause i was the same last night, but after all the stuff afterwards, i feel better about this point . I think one thing that stands out is that the regime is committed to sitting him and let him develop and the fact that he was the only primetime QB to do all the drills on the scouting combine.