Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:Eric Fisher went #1 over those same QBs, so that says a lot more about the draft class than Clowney.

A 20-year-old Teddy Bridgewater would have went first overall to KC if he, Clowney, and Fisher were all options.

Agreed.

TEST

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It just seems too good to be true...

The Jags are probably going to screw this up somehow....

probably win a few meaningless games during the 2nd half to put us out of the #1 overall pick

why? 

#becausejaguars 

thats why. 

After all our suffering as fans, I think we're owed Bridgewater to the Jags!!! Don't ruin this for us!!!!

The silver lining is that even if we finish with the 2nd pick, we still get one heck of a QB in Mariota.

Quote:The silver lining is that even if we finish with the 2nd pick, we still get one heck of a QB in Mariota.

Depends on who finished first. Giants/Steelers would take Clowney.

TEST

Quote:Depends on who finished first. Giants/Steelers would take Clowney.

I think Tampa's the only real competition for first overall.

I agree that Pittsburgh and New York would most likely take Clowney, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if either of them decided go with Bridgewater, especially if there's new management in either place.

Quote:The silver lining is that even if we finish with the 2nd pick, we still get one heck of a QB in Mariota.

Meh, I'm trying not to think about consolation prizes right about now....we gotta get Bridgewater, the one who will be special, not the one that "might be good" in Mariota

Eli Manning will be almost 33-and-a-half by the time of the draft and they're going to have a new coach. I don't think it's a sure thing that they'd pass on a quarterback if he keeps up this nightmare season.

I think the Steelers take a mulligan on the year. They don't look nearly as horrible as the other winless squads.

Agreed.

Quote:I think Tampa's the only real competition for first overall.

Agreed.

Quote:Meh, I'm trying not to think about consolation prizes right about now....we gotta get Bridgewater, the one who will be special, not the one that "might be good" in Mariota

Bridgewater's easily the best QB in the class, but the world isn't necessarily over if we don't end up with him. Also I think you're selling Mariota a bit short there.

Quote:Bridgewater's easily the best QB in the class, but the world isn't necessarily over if we don't end up with him. Also I think you're selling Mariota a bit short there.
I think any QB outside of Bridgewater is a huge gamble and has a chance to cripple our franchise for even longer.

TEST

Quote:I think any QB outside of Bridgewater is a huge gamble and has a chance to cripple our franchise for even longer.

So I assume you'd draft Clowney second overall then. Who do you have quarterbacking our team next season?

If you're only drafting sure things, you aren't going to be drafting many players. The draft in itself is a gamble, but I think a player like Mariota would be worth the "risk" should Bridgewater be gone.

I'd rather have Hundley than Mariota tbh.  

But I'd much rather have Bridgewater.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I think any QB outside of Bridgewater is a huge gamble and has a chance to cripple our franchise for even longer.

We are in agreement. 

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 11:25 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

If you're only drafting sure things, you aren't going to be drafting many players. The draft in itself is a gamble, but I think a player like Mariota would be worth the "risk" should Bridgewater be gone.

When it comes to QB....when you gamble & lose, your franchise is set back years. 

Not the case or same degree with other positions when you gamble & lose. 

Thats why the sentiment is so strong for wanting to draft Bridgewater. He's the closest thing to a sure thing for the QB position that you will find. On par with Manning/ Luck, albeit maybe slightly less of a prospect than those 2. 

Quote:So I assume you'd draft Clowney second overall then. Who do you have quarterbacking our team next season?

I don't see a scenario where a team wanting Bridgewater ends up ahead of us. Even if it's a team like the Giants where they MAY want him, we will trade them to swap picks. Giants are more in a position to draft a more developmental QB to sit behind Eli for a year or two.

TEST

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 11:29 PM by Tuxedo.)

Quote:When it comes to QB....when you gamble & lose, your franchise is set back years. 

Not the case or same degree with other positions when you gamble & lose. 

I don't disagree with that, I just don't think Mariota is as risky as some of you feel he is. If we pass over a QB in the first round, where is our 2014 starter and beyond going to come from? If it's not through the later rounds, will we be in a position to draft as high a caliber draftee as we can this season?

I'm not suggesting simply drafting any QB because we need one, but we will most likely have the opportunity to get a top tier talent at the most important position in football and I don't think you pass over one in the hopes you find one sometime in the future.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 11:28 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:I don't see a scenario where a team wanting Bridgewater ends up ahead of us. Even if it's a team like the Giants where they MAY want him, we will trade them to swap picks. Giants are more in a position to draft a more developmental QB to sit behind Eli for a year or two.
The Giants just did draft a QB, Eli is on pace to break the all time int record lol.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 11:30 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:The Giants just did draft a QB, Eli is on pace to break the all time int record lol.
Peyton: I think I'll break the seasonal TD Record.

Eli: PFFT!  I'll break the seasonal INT Record.

Schaub: Big deal!  It shouldn't count unless it goes for 6!  Now there's a record I'm going to hold.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:The Giants just did draft a QB, Eli is on pace to break the all time int record lol.

I mean, Eli has lead the league in INTs before. It's something he's always been good at. There is just no way they get rid of Eli as the starter after this year. And I don't see them taking a QB at #1 overall to sit when they have other pressing issues.

TEST

Quote:I mean, Eli has lead the league in INTs before. It's something he's always been good at. There is just no way they get rid of Eli as the starter after this year. And I don't see them taking a QB at #1 overall to sit when they have other pressing issues.
Yeah Eli has been overrated his whole career.  He just played clutch those couple years when they won the SB like Flacco did last year.  The Giants D is the main reason Eli has 2 rings.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't walk away with two QBs from the 2014 class. It is too deep to not take two guys to increase the odds of landing a franchise QB. Even if we take Teddy #1, I'd hope we take another QB in the 3rd or 4th round. I would like to see the Jaguars go into next year with 2 young QBs and a veteran backup.

QB1: Teddy Bridgewater (1st round). Potential to be great.

QB2: Veteran backup (Kolb or somebody). If Teddy turns out to be elite and immediately makes the Jaguars a contender, it would be nice to have a decent #2 option.

QB3: Jimmy Garoppolo (5th round). A project QB. In the 5th round someone like Garoppolo runs low risk with potential for high reward.