Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "Let's talk about"

Man, it's the weekend already? Geez.

Sorry to rub that in, not really.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So here's my interesting anecdote for the day.

I'm assuming somebody here must watch "Under the Dome". I'm watching the last episode that I DVRed last night. I wanted to check out the filmography of one of the guest stars because I thought I recognized him from CSI New York.

When I go into the "Cast and Crew" option, I notice that the male lead, Mike Vogel, is from Abington, PA. I thought, that's interesting because I moved down from Abington in 1991 and my neighbors were John and Kathy Vogel and they had a kid in elementary school named Mike.

So I do a quick lookup on IMDB and Wiki, and yep, I was living next door to a soon-to-be actor.

Well, I thought it was interesting anyway. So there.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:So here's my interesting anecdote for the day.

I'm assuming somebody here must watch "Under the Dome". I'm watching the last episode that I DVRed last night. I wanted to check out the filmography of one of the guest stars because I thought I recognized him from CSI New York.

When I go into the "Cast and Crew" option, I notice that the male lead, Mike Vogel, is from Abington, PA. I thought, that's interesting because I moved down from Abington in 1991 and my neighbors were John and Kathy Vogel and they had a kid in elementary school named Mike.

So I do a quick lookup on IMDB and Wiki, and yep, I was living next door to a soon-to-be actor.

It's a good thing I have some caffeine in my system otherwise I'd be snoozing away thanks to your story.

Quote:So here's my interesting anecdote for the day.

Got any dirt on him we might profit from? :devil:

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Stock up on wine

:verymad:  Wallbash  :pinch:  :wacko:  <_<

Quote:Stock up on wine

:verymad:  Wallbash  :pinch:  :wacko:  <_<
What has happened to your grapes?

Quote:What has happened to your grapes?

We're (the whole industry) following two successive record breaking crops up with what is starting to looking like either a historically average or slightly below average crop this year. I've heard from a few growers that harvested this week and their crops were off by as much as 30% from last year, while overall demand is at the very least staying flat. 

Nothing to report on mine personally, other than an unusual looking crop -- I haven't harvested yet. While I'm not exactly expecting a personal record crop, I sure hope I'm not a 30%-er either!

Quote:We're (the whole industry) following two successive record breaking crops up with what is starting to looking like either a historically average or slightly below average crop this year. I've heard from a few growers that harvested this week and their crops were off by as much as 30% from last year, while overall demand is at the very least staying flat. 

Nothing to report on mine personally, other than an unusual looking crop -- I haven't harvested yet. While I'm not exactly expecting a personal record crop, I sure hope I'm not a 30%-er either!
Any specific reason behind the lackluster yields. Weather related?

I am glad yours has not taken a large hit. Good luck.

Quote:Any specific reason behind the lackluster yields. Weather related?

I am glad yours has not taken a large hit. Good luck.

Thanks!

We had a week in Dec/Jan in which temps dipped into the mid teens which will damage vines, then the rest of the winter we didn't accumulate enough 'chill hours', (we need a certain amount of hours between the temperatures of 34-45 degrees), and we didn't get enough winter rain. Even in dormancy, the vines need a small amount of water to move molecules around and whatnot.

All three factors combined to cause some stunted cane growth this year... you could see it as soon as the buds popped back in Feb. I actually had a few weaker vines completely die off. Bunches form along the nodes on the vine canes. So less canes=less grape bunches.

I'm hoping mine won't fall off as much as some other people's, and I don't think (hope) they will but I'm also strongly biased towards my own field ha. Plus, my trellis system (the way the vines are tied to the supporting wires) is a very deceiving setup and it makes crop estimation after mid-March pretty hard for me.

It will be interesting to see what happens, because I used a few different techniques this year in hopes of correcting some deficiencies I was seeing... and my crop certainly looks different. I'm hoping to land somewhere in the 10-20% smaller range -- I'll find out in about 4 weeks  Sad

So you're telling me the price of Boones Farm and Mad Dog 20/20 is about to go up??????? :teehee:

Is currently experiencing life at several What the F's per hour

Quote:So you're telling me the price of Boones Farm and Mad Dog 20/20 is about to go up??????? :teehee:

Took me many more words to say what you conveyed so succinctly Wink

Quote:Took me many more words to say what you conveyed so succinctly Wink

Some people just have a gift!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Some people just have a gift!

To be fair, my original comment was four words... But if someone asks I get real long winded real quick.

Quote:To be fair, my original comment was four words... But if someone asks I get real long winded real quick.

True...but his post dummed it down to the level of the board! Wink

Quote:True...but his post dummed it down to the level of the board! Wink

The funniest part, probably only to me, is that I do sell to Gallo -- so he hit the nail on the head with Boone's.

Quote:The funniest part, probably only to me, is that I do sell to Gallo -- so he hit the nail on the head with Boone's.

Wine humor! :woot:

[Image: crappybutfree_zps93f6b68b.jpg]

Quote:[Image: crappybutfree_zps93f6b68b.jpg]

You would freak out if you saw some of the people I get forced to drink wine with. It's like a 12 step process for them, and they get testy with the server for some reason -- as if they had anything to do with making it!

My Local liquor store has a wine tasting on Fridays...... Last 2 white wines were pure vinegar, then again, I'm not a wine drinker

Why did the friends thread get locked?