Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone new Assistant Head Coach/OL coach

Quote:Can't lie, most of us are pretty ticked about that as well. We love Sammy but most of us aren't convinced he was worth the trade. At the time however, most people didn't know Beckham Jr. was going to be an absolute freak and there were questions about if Mike Evans was that good or if Johnny made him look better. Obviously we know now. All sources tell us we had Ebron on the board if we didn't trade for Watkins.

You're right to be ticked, there's no way he or any other receiver (not named Calvin Johnson) is worth that trade, especially in a receiver class that was lauded as being "special" by most experts. It's a terrible job of maximizing value by Doug Whaley, now you're in a position where you don't have a 1st round pick in 2015, and it's a shame because the Buffalo Bills are a competent QB away from being a serious Super Bowl contender, that defense is beyond nasty.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

<p class="">BillsFan7, on 20 Jan 2015 - 1:10 PM, said:<a class="" href='http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=423577'>[Image: snapback.png]</a>

Quote:Marrone admitted to calling an ultra conservative game plan to take the heat off of Hackett. Our D was handed short fields time and time again and still kept us in every game. There were a handful of times he would punt on 4th and 1, inside the 50, down by 7 or less, with like 6 min to go!!! 
Quote:Well he won't be doing any of that for the Jags. 
Obviously. But if you didn't take that one line out of context, you could see why I was saying not all Bills fans wanted him to stay.

Quote:Please, jacksonville has no history, how many hall of famers have played for the jags? I had to look it up and it was zero.
No Hall of Famer yet but let's put this in perspective.

If the 1996 playoff game-IN BUFFAHOLE- were prison, our "non Hall of Famer" Tony Boselli would have traded your best ever Hall of Famer Bruce Smith for cigarettes.

We all know it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Please, jacksonville has no history, how many hall of famers have played for the jags? I had to look it up and it was zero.

Yeah, let's compare a 20 year old franchise with a 55 year-old one. Smart!

Quote:Bills fans loved him until he took the money and ran. Then they said the team was winning despite him.

Salty.
Loved him? Most Bills fans I know are glad he and Hackett are gone and we upgraded coaches with Rex Ryan and Greg Roman. At best, most Bills fans tolerated him because we finally had a winning season. If you watched any of our games this past season, you would know the Bills defense won most games by keeping the opponents' points so low that our anemic offense could outscore them.

In contrast, Bills fans were much more upset when our DC, Jim Schwartz left a week ago. As the Lions former HC, it's no coincidence he's a big reason we swept the NFC North and had a winning season.

I really hope Marrone works out for you guys. You seem like a pretty good group of fans fans who deserve something good.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 03:39 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:No Hall of Famer yet but let's put this in perspective.

If the 1996 playoff game-IN BUFFAHOLE- were prison, our "non Hall of Famer" Tony Boselli would have traded your best ever Hall of Famer Bruce Smith for cigarettes.

We all know it.

Why even respond to that clown? Just ignore him and he'll eventually go away.

Yet, we have the same number of Championships.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:Yeah, let's compare a 20 year old franchise with a 55 year-old one. Smart!
Same number of Lombardi trophies-0.

For a 20 year old franchise like ours...while disappointing...certainly not unheard of and no crime.

For a team that's been at it for 55 years?

That is a level of futility rarely seen in sports.

Quote:You're right to be ticked, there's no way he or any other receiver (not named Calvin Johnson) is worth that trade, especially in a receiver class that was lauded as being "special" by most experts. It's a terrible job of maximizing value by Doug Whaley, now you're in a position where you don't have a 1st round pick in 2015, and it's a shame because the Buffalo Bills are a competent QB away from being a serious Super Bowl contender, that defense is beyond nasty.
Thanks for the respect for our defense! The only thing that makes me not freak out is where we finished. It would have been #19. What QB in the draft would be plug in at #19? No one I can think of for sure. So, we go into the 2nd round and go for a guy who might be developed or, if we win the lottery, wins the job. Otherwise, we sign the best FA we can, draft a guy in the 2nd, and see if EJ is a bust or not. 14 games played, 16 TDs 12 INTs...we still don't really know for sure about that guy.

Quote:Thanks for the respect for our defense! The only thing that makes me not freak out is where we finished. It would have been #19. What QB in the draft would be plug in at #19? No one I can think of for sure. So, we go into the 2nd round and go for a guy who might be developed or, if we win the lottery, wins the job. Otherwise, we sign the best FA we can, draft a guy in the 2nd, and see if EJ is a bust or not. 14 games played, 16 TDs 12 INTs...we still don't really know for sure about that guy.

Yea you wouldn't have been in a position (draft wise) to select either of the top two guys anyway but that's besides the point, either way, I think it's safe to say the QB of the future isn't on the roster at this time.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM by DewtheMathis.)

It is always better to try to win, and have a bad drafting slot then to try to win and have a great one...

Quote:No Hall of Famer yet but let's put this in perspective.

We all know it.
I am truly surprised Boselli is not in the HOF...i just assumed he was. Is that just because of longevity? Cause you are on the money Bullseye, he owned Bruce that day...your big RB did no favors either...cant remember his name. 

Also, the very last game Jimbo played...aint been the same team since that hit ended his career.

Quote:We signed an undrafted free agent receiver who may eventually have more of an impact in the NFL than the fourth pick of the draft.

I will bet your trailer he won't be!

Quote:Tuxedo, i think there were plenty of Bills fans who wanted Marone to stay with the rationaliztion of 9-7 and winning record. PLenty more who felt the D, where Marrone admittedly had little to no involvement, carried the team and won some games that should not have been won based on the performance of the offense in whole, the QBs certainly, and a good bit based on the Offensive line.

But even the folks who wanted him to stay felt burned, as did the players, when after the last game of the year against the Pats scrubs, he preached Bills family, and of the family they had built in the locker room ...and then walked out without so much as a phone call to any of his "family" . The players got a mass text from him much later that night. Several have refeered to the way he left, not that he left...and they to a man have not said anything positive about Marrone.

Also, he supposedly trashed the Bills organization on the way out and somehow influenced Bill Polian to not take a job within the organization.

I think most Bills fans would root for the Jags and want you all to succeed...we too are sick of the same teams every year.

I hope this works for you guys, my gut says Saint Doug(as he referred to himself if he could get Syracuse and Buffalo winning records) got knocked down a peg and learned a ton....i think i good hire for you guys
100% agree with this

I echo Crozier in saying sorry for anyone who came here to slam you guys. I know I always appreciate when fans from other teams come to our boards to give insight on players or coaches from other teams. I watch every minute of Bills football, and whatever else I can from other teams. I may not agree with the insight but I'm grateful they take the time to give their side. That's all I would do as well. My biggest problems with Marrone realistically may not affect his new role with you guys. He may turn out to be a great fit with you guys.

Quote:I will bet your trailer he won't be!
Oh golly.  Trailer smack from someone rooting for a team in the booming metropolis of Buffalo.  Isn't your stadium one step from trailer status? 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I echo Crozier in saying sorry for anyone who came here to slam you guys. I know I always appreciate when fans from other teams come to our boards to give insight on players or coaches from other teams. I watch every minute of Bills football, and whatever else I can from other teams. I may not agree with the insight but I'm grateful they take the time to give their side. That's all I would do as well. My biggest problems with Marrone realistically may not affect his new role with you guys. He may turn out to be a great fit with you guys.

We have little issue with fans from other teams who come here to carry on actual football conversations.  But, as is usually the case, there are those ignorant trolls who simply don't know any better.  Case in point: Frogger. 

As I stated earlier in this thread, and you reiterated here, Marrone isn't going to be calling plays for this team.  He'll be in an environment where he's better suited to contribute in developing a young offensive line.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I am truly surprised Boselli is not in the HOF...i just assumed he was. Is that just because of longevity? Cause you are on the money Bullseye, he owned Bruce that day...your big RB did no favors either...cant remember his name. 

Also, the very last game Jimbo played...aint been the same team since that hit ended his career.

Longevity and market size are the only reason Boselli is not in the HOF.  But considering his career was as long as Dwight Stephenson who is in the HOF, the justification for keeping Boselli out is hard to sustain. 

That RB was Natrone Means...whom we somehow got off waivers from San Diego.  A great get for us.

Chris Hudson knocked out Jim Kelly.

Hard to hear that Kelly is going through that stuff with the cancer.

I have a buddy who is a die hard Bills fan and blames Kelly for those SB losses to Dallas.

I think that is silly.

Smack talk aside, Kelly was a helluva player.

Marrone openly coached the Bills offensive line. They regressed, from year 1 to year 2. They struggled before he came in then got worse. The LT and Center both regressed in the 2 year span specifically. Two player in which the team thought they had a career lock on holding their positions. He kept what most fans thought was a better player (Urbik) on the bench for about 6 weeks until he finally played, and improved the line. Gaurds are the week spot for sure.  Pass protection dropped in year two, so did the run game.

I won't speak to any other position, because that is not what the hire in Jax is, but his "baby" here not only didn't improve but regressed. We didn't get extra production out of anybody on the line, infact went the other way.

Is Marrone a servicable OL coach, sure. But he is far from a hire I would get excited about if I were a Jags fan. Not quite sure what was in place prior to the hire, maybe it is an improvement, and that is great for your team, but servicable is all you'll get.  Which is the same thought most Bills fan have of him as a HC.

As far as history, some inconsistant results with the Jets, and to be honest, his time in NO as OC, he had zero play calling duties. A figurehead position for Sean Peytons offense.  A recent example is George Edwards in Minny, terrible DC, historically terrible at one point actually, and now somehow great in Minny with Zimmer's deffense.

I think the main thing Bills fans coming here are looking for is dialogue.  The point isn't to bash, meerely to speak and converse, even if they are from opposite sides of the spectrum.  What no Jags fan is able to answer, or even address, is for an OL coach, why did his OL get progressively worse the more time spent here and with the unit, with largely the same players (OL) from the previous regime?  It is a serious question, what about that makes you excited or what is the reasonining for it. Same QB"s, same OL, improved talent at WR, same talent at RB.  How do all these units get worse if he is such a great hire?  What is really exciting to this fanbase about this hire, in X's and O's, data, video analysis (all-22 exists now we can do that), or stats? 

My overall view is it is an average hire of an average postional coach.  Sometimes you need that stepping stone guy to make the next great hire, and that is Marrone.  If play was attrocious before, it is an improvement, and that is cool, but by no means is this a guy you hitch your wagons too at any position on the coaching staff.

In regards to him in Buffalo.  We were looking for a scapegoat, and appreciated the 9-7 season, and thought we were moving in the right direction. Hackett was that scapegoat for us, Marrone asked for an extension for his ENTIRE staff, which was denied. The way he left created some animosity to say the least. Most fans could see the roster move in the right direction, and a new OC, and so OG's would have gotten us to buy into Marrone here for a season, but we were far from excited to see him return. In fact people were calling for his head by week 8.

Quote:I will bet your trailer he won't be!
That would be an upgrade from your mom's basement right?