Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Time to fire Gus?
Yes
No
Let this season play out regardless of how bad it gets.
[Show Results]

The Giant Fire Gus & Dave Thread (MERGED)

Quote:True, he did quit, so I guess he'd fit the culture.

Well, they made him as assistant coach either way. Obviously, sometime thinks he fits the culture, or doesn't care because they wanted a backup plan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, so who is going to fix it in your opinion???

That's not my job, it's dave's. But we knownit aint Gus, that for damn sure

I'd rather them keep Gus and watch homeboy squirm all season that potentially win an extra game or 2 with Marrone.

Quote:That's the beauty of it not being a salary capped position. Khan can get whomever he wants. The problem with these "big names" is I don't think they even want to coach anymore and are perfectly fine in their broadcasting gigs and living under the presumption they would pick up right where they left off. I would even go as far to say they are scared to return to coaching and potentially tarnishing their legacy. I am speaking of Cowher and Gruden of course.

I'd agree. They already have cushy jobs and more money than they'll ever need. Why risk their reputations by coming into this sink hole?

Quote:Bills fans are also jaded by the manner in which he left the team. Opinions on him were mixed before he opted out.

There were a lot of rumblings about him already, even before he opted out. I remember reading stuff online about Marrone the season before, which is why I wasn't surprised when he opted out. That's why I say, if there's problems in the locker room with players thinking Gus isn't doing a good job...it will leak somehow. Especially after two tough losses? If there are players in that locker room who wants Gus out, I think we'll know soon enough.

Quote:That's not my job, it's dave's. But we knownit aint Gus, that for damn sure

what a lame opinion dude

Quote:I can't be sure if you're intentionally or unintentionally misunderstanding what I said. It's not that people intentionally play bad and just cash checks. It's that they are bad, are with rare exception not held accountable, and are thanking their lucky stars when those checks clear because they wouldn't stick most places with these performances.

Telling people just keep trying and don't worry about wins is a big factor in this teams results. Be as snarky as you want about it, but it is.

Except that isn't what Gus' message is about. You are making stuff up based on your false assumption on what his message is. Gus doesn't preach "not to care" about winning. Three years in and people still don't get Gus. I suspect its because they see the smiley face and the jumping around and just assume he's an idiot. When his methods and philosophy exists, and is actually taught, in the business world and management.

Quote:what a lame opinion dude

Marrone is the obvious interim choice. Long term depends on what happens the rest of the year, and who becomes available.

But he's not wrong. You don't need to be a chef to know when you're being served rancid meat. He doesn't need to have all the answers to know the current one is wrong.

Quote:Players can be held accountable but not the coach?

Bradley has done worse than some players who have been cut or released.

And how about the GM? Is he not held accountable? I mean, he DID hire the coach. He DID gut the roster. He DID do the drafting AND the signing of the free-agents. 90+% of this roster was his choosing. Is he not responsible for this mess?

I'm on the fire Gus train. This team is garbage.
Shock the world

If I needed to choose his replacement I would select Mike Smith. He won with a rookie QB in Matt Ryan, he won Coach of the Year, he is from Daytona, he's had the experience of winning and losing. I WOULD NOT select another coordinator!

Regards...................the Chiefjag

First time I've said this. First time I've felt this. We can do better than Gus. Too bad, but it looks the same, sans improvement from young players. Not good enough. Time to move on.

Quote:Except that isn't what Gus' message is about. You are making stuff up based on your false assumption on what his message is. Gus doesn't preach "not to care" about winning. Three years in and people still don't get Gus. I suspect its because they see the smiley face and the jumping around and just assume he's an idiot. When his methods and philosophy exists, and is actually taught, in the business world and management.

I've heard plenty of his shtick. Yeah Yeah, the wins will come, they'll take care of themselves, just keep working to improve. We're doing our third losing season, but we competed man!

Except they haven't, and when you strip away the insane enthusiasm, he's just selling to try hard and hope it all works out. I'm glad you bought into it, but most of us are over it.

I also feel this will likely be the last season in Gus' tenure with the team.

Will I freak out unless Khan stabs him with a pitchfork during a press conference before the bye week arrives? Nope.

Quote:what a lame opinion dude

How you figure?

Quote:And how about the GM? Is he not held accountable? I mean, he DID hire the coach. He DID gut the roster. He DID do the drafting AND the signing of the free-agents. 90+% of this roster was his choosing. Is he not responsible for this mess?

Some of this is absolutely going to stick to Dave. He'll probably get another coach attempt though. A lot of GMs do.

Still think Marrone, but not sure he's wants to be one since he kind of flaked out on Buffalo. Head coaches have to put in ungodly hours. Guess it's not for everyone.

Quote:If I needed to choose his replacement I would select Mike Smith. He won with a rookie QB in Matt Ryan, he won Coach of the Year, he is from Daytona, he's had the experience of winning and losing. I WOULD NOT select another coordinator!

Hmmmmm....not bad

Quote:If I needed to choose his replacement I would select Mike Smith. He won with a rookie QB in Matt Ryan, he won Coach of the Year, he is from Daytona, he's had the experience of winning and losing. I WOULD NOT select another coordinator!

Agree. I'm sure he learned a lot from from his tenure in ATL. 5 straight winning seasons, then 2 tough seasons. I am with you on no more first time coordinators. This franchise can't afford that anymore.

Bye

• Ravens @ Steelers 2002 (PIT 34-31)
  • Jaguars @ Titans 2009 (TEN 30-13)
  • Jaguars @ Titans 2012 (TEN 38- 20)
  • Colts @ Jaguars 2013 (IND 37-3)
  • Jaguars @ Titans 2014 (TEN 16-14)
  • Panthers @ Jaguars 2015 (CAR 20-9)
  • Jaguars @ Titans 2015 (TEN 42-39)