Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Quote:Question is, will Jackson be worth the money he will command?
No, none of these FA's will unless someone finds a Sen'derrick like gem.

I know that's the obvious answer for all the guys, but Malik is disruptive and would make a big impact on our defense. So yes, he would be worth giving a big contract too. Give us Malik, along with adding another guy or two like an Ayers/Irvin etc. type player, we our front 7 is going to look a whole hell of a lot better when you topple that with Dante Fowler. A WHOLE lot better.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I do like Heyward.

Honestly though, Smith is going to get a big deal, IDK if i'd pay it for him. We need a CB opposite House that can force turnovers. Smith is good and all but that's not his MO. We need more playmakers in the secondary that are going to force turnovers.

I agree, I like Heyward because he can play both outside and in the slot, he's excelled in man coverage in Green Bay, I think he's an underrated target for the Jags. Free agency and the draft are both deep at the corner position so don't get too upset if we don't land Smith/Jenkins. With a vastly improved pass rush in 2016 I'm not sure if we need a "shutdown" corner.

Quote:I think we like the draft this year for secondary help. It seems we're focused on an offensive lineman, Otto, and d-line in free agency.
Yup, I agree. I'm happy about that too, I'd love Bosa even if we get these guys and still be happy regardless if we do or not, but rookie DLine can take some time to get going, I want the proven guys when our pass rush looked that terrible last year, not question marks.

An improved pass rush is already going to make House and Colvin look better back there. They were forced to do way to much last year. I feel better about adding rookie talent back there in the first couple rounds than I do putting those picks to DLine and passing on getting pass rushers that are proven and hope the rookies work out. If they don't, our defense is screwed and a bottom feeder next year yet again. If we get pass rushers that help us this year, our defense already will go up in ranking for sure.

Quote:I agree, I like Heyward because he can play both outside and in the slot, he's excelled in man coverage in Green Bay, I think he's an underrated target for the Jags. Free agency and the draft are both deep at the corner position so don't get too upset if we don't land Smith/Jenkins. With a vastly improved pass rush in 2016 I'm not sure if we need a "shutdown" corner.

Quote:I agree, I like Heyward because he can play both outside and in the slot, he's excelled in man coverage in Green Bay, I think he's an underrated target for the Jags. Free agency and the draft are both deep at the corner position so don't get too upset if we don't land Smith/Jenkins. With a vastly improved pass rush in 2016 I'm not sure if we need a "shutdown" corner.
Yup, I'm right there with you just like I stated in my last post. Sure, I'd love to add Janoris, but if we can bolster the pass rush and get more disruption on the QB next year, our defense is going to be better and our secondary is going to look a whole lot better. I don't think the same can be said if we add Janoris but still have as terrible pass rush as we did this past year...sure he'd help, but not enough to really impact how we win or lose games imo based on what I saw last year. 

Malik would be a good pickup, but is his position more needed than say LEO? Im pretty sure hes Marks but younger. Not complaining, just throwing that out there. Irvin on the other hand makes total sense as we need a good LB, especially one who can drop back and cover. Irvin also can play LEO if needed. 

Quote:Malik would be a good pickup, but is his position more needed than say LEO? Im pretty sure hes Marks but younger. Not complaining, just throwing that out there. Irvin on the other hand makes total sense as we need a good LB, especially one who can drop back and cover. Irvin also can play LEO if needed.

This is my thought as well. Id rather spend on a pure pass rusher.

Malik, Irvin, and Mario. Its now time to start working on the secondary.

Quote:Malik would be a good pickup, but is his position more needed than say LEO? Im pretty sure hes Marks but younger. Not complaining, just throwing that out there. Irvin on the other hand makes total sense as we need a good LB, especially one who can drop back and cover. Irvin also can play LEO if needed. 
No, it's not, but he disrupts the passer and we need that on the D-Line regardless of where it's coming from. The guy gets pressure on the QB and wreaks havoc. If that is anywhere on our defense I'll happily take it regardless of need. This defense just needs more talent.

This shouldn't change whether we get a LEO or not anyway.

Quote:This is my thought as well. Id rather spend on a pure pass rusher.

Mailik Jackson is a "pure pass rusher", he just rushes the passer from the inside. The guy is incredibly disruptive.

Quote:No, it's not, but he disrupts the passer and we need that on the D-Line regardless of where it's coming from. The guy gets pressure on the QB and wreaks havoc. If that is anywhere on our defense I'll happily take it regardless of need. This defense just needs more talent.

exactly, if we land Jackson I still expect Dave to pursue Olivier Vernon/Bruce Irvin

Quote:This is my thought as well. Id rather spend on a pure pass rusher.
I mean hes a great player, seems like the Jags value that DT who can rush the passer. 

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016, 06:40 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:I mean hes a great player, seems like the Jags value that DT who can rush the passer. 

If you ask any QB what's the "worst" type of pressure, they always say interior pressure, there's no where to "step up". So yea disruptive DT's get paid a lot of money because they can singlehandedly wreck an offense's game plan.

Quote:No, it's not, but he disrupts the passer and we need that on the D-Line regardless of where it's coming from. The guy gets pressure on the QB and wreaks havoc. If that is anywhere on our defense I'll happily take it regardless of need. This defense just needs more talent.

If the Jags spend the money on Malik, I dont expect them to pay that for Mario Williams. Dave even said they are not going to spend crazy, as they should not. We want to be able to secure our own players too. Bortles, Robinson and Hurns. 

Id be happy with Malik  and Irvin. 

Quote:I mean hes a great player, seems like the Jags value that DT who can rush the passer.

He's kinda like what Alualu was supposed to be. A guy with great hands and get off who can rush from the inside on out. Our version of Michael Bennett.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:If you ask any QB what's the "worst" type of pressure, they always say interior pressure, there's no where to "step up". So yea disruptive DT's get paid a lot of money because they can singlehandedly wreck an offense's game plan.

The fastest way to the QB is thru the Center.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:If the Jags spend the money on Malik, I dont expect them to pay that for Mario Williams. Dave even said they are not going to spend crazy, as they should not. We want to be able to secure our own players too. Bortles, Robinson and Hurns. 

Id be happy with Malik  and Irvin. 

I'd take Malik Jackson over Mario Williams regardless. Mario is also huge, he isn't the prototypical LEO himself.

With Fowler coming back and expecting to mainly be the LEO although he will move around, along with signing a guy like Ayers/Irvin, and having a draft that will be at least 90% defense most likely, I think we can' be ok at LEO. Just get pass rushers, it doesn't matter if they are on the edge or inside, just get them. Malik is one of the best on the market, is young, and would help our defense tremendously. You aren't guarunteed to get Mario or Vernon, we're far from the only ones with money and interest. If Malik wants to come here and we feel he wants the right amount of money, get him signed and don't look back.

Regarldess, this report is from Jason Cole, until someone else says something I'm not taking it 100% seriously. 

Interior pressure is far more disruptive than exterior pressure anyway. Malik getting 75 pressures last year (including playoffs, so probably like 60 regular season) are significantly more impactful than Vernon's 79. Malik would also impact the run much more than vernon too.

Quote:I'd take Malik Jackson over Mario Williams regardless. Mario is also huge, he isn't the prototypical LEO himself.

With Fowler coming back and expecting to mainly be the LEO although he will move around, along with signing a guy like Ayers/Irvin, and having a draft that will be at least 90% defense most likely, I think we can' be ok at LEO. Just get pass rushers, it doesn't matter if they are on the edge or inside, just get them. Malik is one of the best on the market, is young, and would help our defense tremendously. You aren't guarunteed to get Mario or Vernon, we're far from the only ones with money and interest. If Malik wants to come here and we feel he wants the right amount of money, get him signed and don't look back.

Regarldess, this report is from Jason Cole, until someone else says something I'm not taking it 100% seriously. 
Regardless, they are going to need more than Dante Fowler as the LEO. I dont think its worth the gamble either to just think Fowler will come back 100 percent and be a beast. If we dont get a LEO in Free Agency, unless Ramsey is there at 5, Jags are taking a LEO. 

Id defintely be fine with Malik, was just throwing it out there that hes a DT. I do hope we go after Irvin though, as a LB who can cover would help the defense tremendously. 

Quote:If you ask any QB what's the "worst" type of pressure, they always say interior pressure, there's no where to "step up". So yea disruptive DT's get paid a lot of money because they can singlehandedly wreck an offense's game plan.
Heh, you beat me to posting this concept while I was looking up the exact pressure numbers again. 

Quote:I'd take Malik Jackson over Mario Williams regardless. Mario is also huge, he isn't the prototypical LEO himself.

Cole has been beating the Jackson to Jax story for weeks now.