Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Quote:Someone needs to tell Hays Carlyon that nobody gives a damn about his "top 20 free agent rankings". This fat lard would be more useful giving us his top 20 sandwich rankings

Top 20 sandwich rankings. You may be on to something there.
Only a chump boos the home team!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Someone needs to tell Hays Carlyon that nobody gives a damn about his "top 20 free agent rankings". This fat lard would be more useful giving us his top 20 sandwich rankings
This^

Hays Carlyon. Football expert.

Quote:The truth that we are at a disadvantage when it comes to attracting top talent. Players want to go to a premier city and not a hick town like Jax.

Maybe you should root for the giants.

Quote:How often are playoff teams 'made' by free Agency?
Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, Peyton Manning, Ward, Sanders

5 KEY FA additions to the Broncos during their 4 year playoff/SB runs.

Quote:@HaysCarlyon My free agent Top 20: Giants have signed 4, Raiders 3, Texans 2, #Jaguars have 1. Which team had the most cap space again?
Dude loses all credibility if he is including Brock Osweiler in his top 20 free agents.

Matt freakin Flynn anyone?

Why do the same people cry every year about FA when we don't land the mega fish? Would I like to have landed Vernon? Yes, but not at that price. He's not worth that much. And I think we did a great job so far with what we have. I wanted Gipson from the get-go, check. Jackson will have a huge impact on defense, so great get; check. Ivory is the heavy hitter RB we need to have with Yeldon running point; check. We still have the draft. Be happy people. Geeze. It's not like we traded away our best players for nothing. We got some great players to help make this defense much better. Let's get a good Guard or Center and get ol' Jack and we'll be nice on defense.

So much whining...........

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, Peyton Manning, Ward, Sanders

5 KEY FA additions to the Broncos during their 4 year playoff/SB runs.
How are they looking long term now?

Quote:How are they looking long term now?
They were also a totally different team than we are.

They were in SB or bust mode. Peyton was aging and they knew their window was about to close. 

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016, 11:08 AM by D-Money.)

They won the Super Bowl...what's the main goal of playing in the NFL?

4 Playoffs, 2 SB's and 1 SB victory...

I'd say the plan worked. Doesn't matter if they have to start over. At some point, every team does.

Packers never dabble in FA.... they haven't exactly strung together a dynasty.

Hays Carlyon was a hack writing for the St. Augustine Record and is still a hack after his graduation to the T-U.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Quote:4 Playoffs, 2 SB's and 1 SB victory...

I'd say the plan worked. Doesn't matter if they have to start over. At some point, every team does.

Packers never dabble in FA.... they haven't exactly strung together a dynasty.
For the Packers:

2015- NFC Championship Game

2014- Playoffs

2013- Playoffs

2012- Playoffs

2011- Superbowl Victory

2010- Playoffs

Comparable to the Broncos, and in a position to compete again for years to come.

Is it that hard to envision at least mild disappointment in the Jaguars not getting a pass rusher?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:And where do you live? New York? Miami? Once again ya bash Jax. You do know the Giants play in Jersey Right? Ever been there?

I have and its trash. Compared to Jax. Ever lived in Miami? I have been there. And its trash as well.

Tebow seen what Jersey was like. Vernon will see the mess next. Giants fans have no heart. The papers have no heart. The city unless ya a superstar ya a bum.

For what it's worth, I live in NY. I hate NYC. I don't hate other big cities. I love philly, and I like Jacksonville.

It's different for everyone. Vernon was used to Florida life and wanted to try something new. Good for him, I hope he likes it. He saved us a lot of money. As much of a nice addition he would have been, that contract was ludicrous.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:@HaysCarlyon Not getting Vernon wouldn't be a disaster had #Jaguars landed Janoris Jenkins. Needed to get at least two dynamic defenders. No excuses.

Gipson should count. Janoris Jenkins contract was too much, even for Overpaying in free agency standards, just like Vernon's was.

Caldwell has been tremendous at getting high profile free agents and also being smart with money.

Gipson meant more to Jacksonville than Jenkins would have anyway.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Is it that hard to envision at least mild disappointment in the Jaguars not getting a pass rusher?

Mild disappointment is a completely normal feeling!  A pass rusher would have been fantastic, and gone a long ways to towards suring up our defense.  But it didn't happen.  Dave chose his targets, and assigned a fiscal cap that he would not surpass.  Even throwing everything at Vernon, he choose NYC.  This whole "we suck and are a flaming dumpster fire" is not an appropriate response to day 1 of the new league year.

Quote:Gipson should count. Janoris Jenkins contract was too much, even for Overpaying in free agency standards, just like Vernon's was.

Caldwell has been tremendous at getting high profile free agents and also being smart with money.

Gipson meant more to Jacksonville than Jenkins would have anyway.

We need a Gipson more than a Jenkins. Aaron Colvin is basically our version of Jenkins. That playmaker type of corner that can line up inside and out.
Shock the world

Quote:Exactly. We are a joke. Just leverage. Why go lose in podunk jacksonville when you can be a star under the bright lights in NYC?

yo why u keep askin why, bud?
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:For the Packers:

2015- NFC Championship Game

2014- Playoffs

2013- Playoffs

2012- Playoffs

2011- Superbowl Victory

2010- Playoffs

Comparable to the Broncos, and in a position to compete again for years to come.
Sure....

The Broncos have yet to replace some pieces lost... but that D will still be stellar. Bring in Kap at QB, and they are contenders again.

My point was that there are plenty of good uses for free agency, and steering clear doesn't guarantee any more or less than buying in big on FA.

It's how the GM works it all, including drafts, that makes a team.

At this point, I'd take 4 really good years, including a SB victory, and then having to start over again.

Would be so worth it after the last 8 seasons.