Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Sorry for the triple post lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jack and Ogbah are ideal.

Quote:Stop talkin like we have these picks figured out. How many people thought fowler was a good candidate for LEO? Bosa could be the next Reggie White or the next Derrick Harvey, we DON't know. All i know is we need a DE in the top 2 rounds.
Try saying that three times fast! Oh wait... Lol
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote: 

On Beachum, bringing him in on a 1 year contract creates instant competition for Joeckel with both having something to prove- Beachum that his knee is sound and that he is deserving of our or somebody's LT position; Joeckel that he can be more than mediocre.

If Beach succeeds, Joke becomes the swing guy and a pretty valuable one, frankly. We then have the inside track to signing Beach longer term. If Joke wins out, we have a solid LT. We win either way, I can't see any downside to signing him if his knee checks out.

PF,  good point about the competition factor for the Jaguars at LT.   It doesn't seem like Luke Joeckel has had viable competition at the position the last 2 seasons.    Though Joeckel may never be close to the player that the Jaguars and many other teams envisioned back in 2013,   the Jaguars need to find out for sure what they have in Joeckel in 2016.   Assuming Kelvin Beachum will be healthy enough to contribute early in the season,   his presence on the team's roster would be huge from a competition standpoint. 

Quote:Neal resigned with GB.

That was Nick Perry, not Mike Neal.

Quote:I think we should give quinton coples a look. Only 25

I would, but when he was waived by New York last season Dave apparently had zero interest in Coples.

Quote:That was Nick Perry, not Mike Neal.

I'm interested to see what Mike Neal gets on the open market.   I'm not sure why there hasn't been more demand for him through this point of the FA process.    Nick Perry probably has more upside but Neal is more durable and versatile.  

Quote:I would, but when he was waived by New York last season Dave apparently had zero interest in Coples.

Being that the Jets former G.M. now works under Dave Caldwell in Jax,  it be an assumed that the Jaguars have more insight on Q. Coples than most NFL organizations.    At the very least,  the Jags organization probably determined that Coples isn't a good fit for the team.   

Quote:  Being that the Jets former G.M. now works under Dave Caldwell in Jax,  it be an assumed that the Jaguars have more insight on Q. Coples than most NFL organizations.    At the very least,  the Jags organization probably determined that Coples isn't a good fit for the team.   

I know there was talk of him being lazy in New York, but I thought performance-wise he did a pretty good job since he was always out of position as a 3-4 OLB.

Quote:I know there was talk of him being lazy in New York, but I thought performance-wise he did a pretty good job since he was always out of position as a 3-4 OLB.

What position in the Jaguars base and nickel Defenses do you think would be fit Q. Coples' skills?    I have at least some doubts that he would truly fit the Jaguars base Defense. 

Did we ever find out what Prince got paid on his deal?

Quote: What position in the Jaguars base and nickel Defenses do you think would be fit Q. Coples' skills?    I have at least some doubts that he would truly fit the Jaguars base Defense. 

I think he'd fit best as a strongside DE which we're loaded at, but I do think he could play some RDE on run downs. The biggest problem for us right now is that the market for true LEOs is putrid and the "best" available players like Coples and Upshaw aren't exactly great scheme fits. It's essentially time to take a flyer on a couple guys like that since they shouldn't demand much money and see if one ends up sticking.

Quote:Did we ever find out what Prince got paid on his deal?

I just did an Internet search and couldn't find any information on this.   Most likely,  the info on Prince's contract will be public knowledge in the next 48 hours.

I haven't seen any numbers.

Quote:I think he'd fit best as a strongside DE which we're loaded at, but I do think he could play some RDE on run downs. The biggest problem for us right now is that the market for true LEOs is putrid and the "best" available players like Coples and Upshaw aren't exactly great scheme fits. It's essentially time to take a flyer on a couple guys like that since they shouldn't demand much money and see if one ends up sticking.

I would be surprised if Courtney Upshaw didn't sign with a 3-4 base Defense, in which he can continue to be a fence against the run at LOLB.  

Of the two players,  Q. Coples appears to have much more versatility.   At a relatively modest price,  the Jaguars probably should give him an opportunity,  unless there's something we don't know about him that's significant.    The Jaguars salary cap situation provides flexibility that most teams don't have the luxury of attempting.

Yeah at the very least, coples could play based end and the move inside in our nickle packages. I don't think he is 3-4 olb though. He was playing way out of position. His best year in college was as a 3 technique. Truely, he's an LDE I'm 4-3 scheme

I'd have to guess something in the neighborhood of 5-7 million   -  with 20-25% of that being tied up in playing time incentives. 

Quote:Yeah at the very least, coples could play based end and the move inside in our nickle packages. I don't think he is 3-4 olb though. He was playing way out of position. His best year in college was as a 3 technique. Truely, he's an LDE I'm 4-3 scheme

Related to what you mentioned,  he's the type of player the Bengals usually seem interested in.  The Bengals put a heavy emphasis on DEs with height and length and are willing to take a chance on talented players many other teams aren't comfortable with. 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo'>Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/709086865995993088' title="2:40 PM - 13 Mar 2016">49s50 seconds ago</a>

<p class="">DL Sealver Siliga is visiting the Seahawks

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin'>Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/709087338203185153' title="2:42 PM - 13 Mar 2016">17s18 seconds ago</a>

<p class="">I'm told defensive tackle Paul Soliai is visiting the <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Panthers?src=hash'>#Panthers</a>. Would make an already formidable defensive interior considerably stronger.