Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

I know that we signed some big names, but I really feel like this FA could have gone much, much better; if we had managed to sign Irvin, Vernon, or Ayers to contracts. This FA period has been a disappointment. Not a failure, but a disappointment.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Here's the tweet C-Dub93 was referencing:

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson  3m3 minutes ago

<p style="font-size:16px;">Beachum told me he was literally on the plane just now when the #Jags asked if he could get off. But, door is now closed. Talks continue.

</div>
umm this is BS he can agree to terms, he doesnt have to be in the building, he just wants to look around more

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:umm this is [BAD WORD REMOVED] he can agree to terms, he doesnt have to be in the building, he just wants to look around more

Exactly

Quote:I know that we signed some big names, but I really feel like this FA could have gone much, much better; if we had managed to sign Irvin, Vernon, or Ayers to contracts. This FA period has been a disappointment. Not a failure, but a disappointment.
We got the #1 overall player in FA, two of the best secondary FA, and an overpaid but perfect fit complement to Yeldon. We also still have an iron in the fire with the best LT on the market. 

An edge rusher would have been nice obviously, but if you are disappointed the only thing to blame was your expectations.

Quote:We got the #1 overall player in FA, two of the best secondary FA, and an overpaid but perfect fit complement to Yeldon. We also still have an iron in the fire with the best LT on the market. 

An edge rusher would have been nice obviously, but if you are disappointed the only thing to blame was your expectations.
Pretty much how I feel.

If we wouldn't have gotten an FS in Gipson but did land a guy like Ayers/Irvin instead, we'd be hearing the same [BLEEP] on how we dropped the ball and how we need a rangy ballhawk safety and if we don't get Ramsey in the draft we failed.

You can't fill every need in FA. We have a top 3 pick coming into the LEO position. We have  top 5 pick and high round picks in each round. We'll gain more depth. Some decent depth options in FA and Skuta/Davis can get some decent production as an edge rusher if they get the snaps.

Quote:We got the #1 overall player in FA, two of the best secondary FA, and an overpaid but perfect fit complement to Yeldon. We also still have an iron in the fire with the best LT on the market.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I would LOVE to see these football geniuses coach an actual Pop Warner team for just one season so we could all marvel at their superior knowledge of the game.

As someone who has done exactly that, I'm not so sure I would wish that on anyone. Don't get me wrong, I love doing it, but if you think coaching is even 25% X's and O's then taking charge of a team of ten year olds will be quite the rude awakening.

Coincidentally, consider this article, and the fact that a Super Bowl winning coach got housed by a score of 58 - 18.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote: I think the difficult aspect of the situation with Kelvin Beachum for the Jaguars is something that's out of their control at this point in time. It's hard for most players that have had success with the Steelers to leave that organization. Unless the Steelers offer is much less than the competition or they end up signing Russell Okung, it's likely that Beachum will choose to stay with the Steelers.

I don't have the link, but I read on PFT yesterday that the Steelers made an offer to Russell Okung. I wonder how or if that might complicate things.

I read an article earlier which suggested if the Jags secured Beachum it would be at the expense of Parnell and that Joekel would move to RT. I think it was a Steelers biased article so hopefully they are just filling column inches.

Quote:I read an article earlier which suggested if the Jags secured Beachum it would be at the expense of Parnell and that Joekel would move to RT. I think it was a Steelers biased article so hopefully they are just filling column inches.

Whoever wrote that is probably clueless

;

;

Quote:I read an article earlier which suggested if the Jags secured Beachum it would be at the expense of Parnell and that Joekel would move to RT. I think it was a Steelers biased article so hopefully they are just filling column inches.

I don't know who wrote it but it sounds pretty silly.

I was wondering about Parnell when talks of Beachum started (also, thinking about the 5th pick in case Tunsil/Jack/Ramsey/Bosa all gone). We know we have a hole at C and there's been talks of moving Linder/Cann there, but there's still a hole at G if that was to happen. We'll simply be shifting our line around. Parnell was just signed, but he wasn't that young (he's already 29) to begin with. And other than Linder, he's also our most punishing and physical player on the line.

It made me wonder if Parnell isn't a candidate to be a road grading RG should we find tackle candidates (Beachum or Stanley)

Parnell needs to stay right where he is. We have had a vacuum at RT for years.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Parnell needs to stay right where he is. We have had a vacuum at RT for years.

I think he's perfectly fine there too. Its more musing based on the rumors of Beachum and the possibility of Stanley.

Quote:I think he's perfectly fine there too. Its more musing based on the rumors of Beachum and the possibility of Stanley.

I actually really like Stanley. I don't understand why Tunsil is considered the better prospect especially with his injury and off the field issues.

I read the same article. I call [BLEEP]:

Quote:Last season, Jermey Parnell played right tackle for the Jaguars and he’s currently under contract with them through the 2019 season. With that said, the Jaguars can easily cut Parnell without any dead money being involved.

Should the Jaguars sign Beachum, they would likely cut Parnell and move Joeckel over to the right side.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-jaguars-dont-want-steelers-free-agent-t-kelvin-beachum-leave-town/'>http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-jaguars-dont-want-steelers-free-agent-t-kelvin-beachum-leave-town/</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Tweet from Michael Giardi (@MikeGiardi) - Time for Pats to shop Jones. Inconsistent, still. Trust issues. Vernon got 52.5 guaranteed. CJ will ask for more http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriot...shop-jones

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/70...9966201856
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I read the same article. I call [BAD WORD REMOVED]:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-jaguars-dont-want-steelers-free-agent-t-kelvin-beachum-leave-town/'>http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-jaguars-dont-want-steelers-free-agent-t-kelvin-beachum-leave-town/</a>

I don't see Parnell going anywhere except right back to RT for the Jaguars.  Unless they trade him for a stud center.  

Call me crazy - but if we sign a LT - I want him playing LT and Joeckel can move to the bench.  He shouldn't displace Parnell, IMO. 

Quote:Tweet from Michael Giardi (@MikeGiardi) - Time for Pats to shop Jones. Inconsistent, still. Trust issues. Vernon got 52.5 guaranteed. CJ will ask for more <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/giardi-time-now-patriots-shop-jones'>http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/giardi-time-now-patriots-shop-jones</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/709745859966201856'>https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/709745859966201856</a>

Can't see him being traded.If they keep him they have him playing in a contract year and will get a 3rd when he leaves in FA.

@RapSheet Source: #Raiders LT Donald Penn is slated to visit #Giants today, his 1st free agent visit. Penn & OAK are locked in a contract stalemate

Would have been a good signing for us.