Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "Let's talk about"

Sorry to hear it Deacon.  Have you thought about starting your own business?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I've had a job, in one form or another, since I was 16. Now, several years later I'm facing my first ever lay off.

My my, how the seasons go by.

Is it a for sure thing or just a possibility?

Quote:My theory is that all psychics are Alien abductions survivors, and that the telepathic conversations they have with extraterrestrials (and/or implants behind the eye/nose) gives them sixth sense they didn't poses prior to being abducted.

Discuss

You should clean your pipe.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Is it a for sure thing or just a possibility?

Possibility.

I'm being "pooled" with 28 other people for 14 jobs.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Possibility.

It's a stressful thing. Just before Christmas my working group was put on notice. The separation letters with our names on each were printed out and we simply waited for the call to walk down to the big boss man's office to sign them. Luckily at the proverbial last minute we were granted a one year reprieve until, hopefully, a new contract is signed. We're still on thin ice.

Hang in there. You seem like a marginally intelligent guy who is tolerable on occasion Wink. I think it will all work out in the end.

Quote:Sorry to hear it Deacon.  Have you thought about starting your own business?

I believe he works in nuclear power...lets hope he doesn't!! :teehee:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I have faith you'll be one of the ones that gets the job!! :yes:

Well it seems my rommmate went off the deep end. I was walking home and saw a cop car in front of the place and got here and NO ONE was here. From what I heard the police had to subdue him to get him in an Ambulance to get to the hospital Pysch Ward. Looks like I'll have the place to myself for a long time.

[Image: review.jpg]

I'm not saying I'd want to be in your position. I just survived a round of layoffs. However, they've just decided they'll kill everybody that's still employed. I've 'only' had to put in 25 hours the last two days. And, of course, I'm salaried...no OT.

Wheeeeeee!!!!
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:However, they've just decided they'll kill everybody that's still employed.
Seems like a bad decision, funerals can be really expensive these. 

Quote:I'm not saying I'd want to be in your position. I just survived a round of layoffs. However, they've just decided they'll kill everybody that's still employed. I've 'only' had to put in 25 hours the last two days. And, of course, I'm salaried...no OT.

Wheeeeeee!!!!

Yeah, at least I'm getting OT on the job I'm working right now. But I'm thinking that a Separation Package might be just what I need to move on to a different field.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Yeah, at least I'm getting OT on the job I'm working right now. But I'm thinking that a Separation Package might be just what I need to move on to a different field.

Better hurry...the window closes fast on "male gigolo".

Quote:Better hurry...the window closes fast on "male gigolo".

That just depends on how far down that particular rabbit hole you're willing to go for a buck.

Now, who here knows of a good G-String shop?

Quote:That just depends on how far down that particular rabbit hole you're willing to go for a buck.

Now, who here knows of a good G-String shop?
I need some brain bleach after that image!! Sick

Quote:I believe he works in nuclear power...lets hope he doesn't!! :teehee:

[Image: 180px-Evil_Burns.png]

It worked for this guy...

Quote:[Image: 180px-Evil_Burns.png]

It worked for this guy...

It would take someone of Monty Burns' mythical riches to start up his own Nuclear Generation Station.

Quote:It would take someone of Monty Burns' mythical riches to start up his own Nuclear Generation Station.

I'm pretty ignorant of the economics of nuclear utilities (assuming you're on the civilian side of things these days?)... are the layoffs a function of aging reactor shutdowns or the reduced margins/economics $$/MW with competing oil and natural gas costs way down?  Curious because power is something I'll have to consider if/when I jump ship (or am pushed) from my current O&G company.

I wonder why the rain forest never tried to harvest the power of Rain much like Niagra falls except as a rain collector to turn turbines and then return to the forest ground.

Quote:I'm pretty ignorant of the economics of nuclear utilities (assuming you're on the civilian side of things these days?)... are the layoffs a function of aging reactor shutdowns or the reduced margins/economics $$/MW with competing oil and natural gas costs way down?  Curious because power is something I'll have to consider if/when I jump ship (or am pushed) from my current O&G company.

I can't really speak for the industry but as far as my own situation I get the feeling that the RIFs going on right now are more a product of mismanagement than anything economy based. Granted, the Natural Gas boom has made an impact, but I feel like this is due more to the company finally realizing that they need to be much more leaner than what they are currently staffed at.

Sorry to hear about that Deacon!

I have zero doubt you'll move onto bigger and better things.