Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:Yes.

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/...2f1a621cba

Hmmm, isn't the knock on Pete Carmichael that he's an OC who doesn't call the plays on New Orleans? Wouldn't Goodwin be in the same camp since Arians runs it all?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 09:38 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:I think Baalke was the big problem with the 49ers. He was the reason Harbaugh was dumped and according the Chip Kellys coach's he never consulted with them at all regarding players.

The Jaguars job is pretty much win within two years or Caldwell will be gone and you'll leave your employment in the new GMs hands.

With the 49ers it will be more of a long term project. If the GM is in any way competent the clock won't start for the new coach until they get their QB. Let's you build the roster more in your image and gives you a chance to learn on the job more so than being expected to win.
What about this roster says this team shouldn't win in the next two years? You have Ramsey, Amukamara, Telvin, Jack, Ngakoue, Malik, Abry, etc. on defense.

You have 3 WR's who have shown to be above average when healthy. A top 5-8 center in the NFL. Loads of cap room that likely sure up 1 or both of the spots on the OL (or at least presents us with new players who had past success, whether they work out is anyones best guess), and another top 5 pick. If Bortles sucks next year, you get your own guy the following year. If the new guy in 2018 (if Blake busts) blows chunks than this coaching staff likely was bombed.

So what if you'd get one more year in SF? It's a lot more likely to have success in 2 years here than 3 years in SF with little talent. They literally have nothing offensively, and defensively they have like 3-4 good pieces.

Quote:Hmmm, isn't the knock on Pete Carmichael that he's an OC who doesn't call the plays on New Orleans? Wouldn't Goodwin be in the same camp since Arians runs it all?
Sure, not being the playcaller sucks. Doesn't mean he shouldn't/isn't capable of it, but when you have a top 3-5 HC in the NFL he obviously isn't giving up playcalling duties. He has worked under a brilliant offensive mind for over a decade and has been a coach of some seriously impressive units in PIT and IND. That's why you bring him in for an interview and pick his mind. If he can run an organization like Arians has done in Arizona, sign him up. This is likely a candidate that fit a lot of what Caldwell and the Khan's like that the search firm thinks deserves a serious look.

Quote:What?

They have pieces all along the OL. Keenan Allen, Melvin Gordon, Joey Bosa, Corey Luiget, Denzel Perryman, Hunter Henry, Jatavis Brown, Melvin Ingram, and Brandon Mebane.

They are far from talentless...they did have a lot of injuries but they also are ALWAYS injured...so it runs deep in the org. Getting a new coach isn't going to magically keep that team healthy.

If you have good players who can never stay healthy, then you don't have talent on the field and that is all that matters. It amounts to not having a good team. Part of that is luck, but lots of teams win in spite of long IR lists.

Quote:If you have good players who can never stay healthy, then you don't have talent on the field and that is all that matters. It amounts to not having a good team. Part of that is luck, but lots of teams win in spite of long IR lists.
Doesn't mean they don't have a ton of talent. Most of the guys I just named were still on the field at the end of the year. Didn't even mention their lockdown corner in Jason Verrett, and Brandon Flowers who has done a solid job for them. Casey Heyward was awfully solid too.

That team underachieves, and Rivers hasn't been great these last few years. Everytime I check their games he's making bonehead mistakes.

Quote:What about this roster says this team shouldn't win in the next two years? You have Ramsey, Amukamara, Telvin, Jack, Ngakoue, Malik, Abry, etc. on defense.

You have 3 WR's who have shown to be above average when healthy. A top 5-8 center in the NFL. Loads of cap room that likely sure up 1 or both of the spots on the OL (or at least presents us with new players who had past success, whether they work out is anyones best guess), and another top 5 pick. If Bortles sucks next year, you get your own guy the following year. If the new guy in 2018 (if Blake busts) blows chunks than this coaching staff likely was bombed.

So what if you'd get one more year in SF? It's a lot more likely to have success in 2 years here than 3 years in SF with little talent. They literally have nothing offensively, and defensively they have like 3-4 good pieces.

The QB. Bortles is way down the list of QBs HCs will want to work with and they are pretty much tied to the hip with him. If Bortles busts again next year and we suck again Caldwell might well get fired. That means a new GM will be brought it and will probabaly want his own guy. Trying to fit a GM to a HC is never a good idea.

49ers is a long term project with the way that roster is. Probably a 4+ year plan. You get to pick your own QB and build the roster your own way instead of being handed a roster and QB and being told to win with it despite its quality.

Personally I'd of course pick the Jacksonville job , just think for some potential HCs the 49ers job is more attractive.

Quote:I think the 49ers job is more attractive to potential HCs than us.

Their owner needs to hire a GM while other teams are lining up their HC.  The GM will have a say in the coaching hire, but unless they get someone in place very quickly, they are going to be filling their coaching staff with what's left.  This is exactly how we got Jedd Fisch.  

Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Their owner needs to hire a GM while other teams are lining up their HC. The GM will have a say in the coaching hire, but unless they get someone in place very quickly, they are going to be filling their coaching staff with what's left. This is exactly how we got Jedd Fisch.

I'd say they'll have the new GM within a week or two, plenty of time to hire a HC.

Quote:The QB. Bortles is way down the list of QBs HCs will want to work with and they are pretty much tied to the hip with him. If Bortles busts again next year and we suck again Caldwell might well get fired. That means a new GM will be brought it and will probabaly want his own guy. Trying to fit a GM to a HC is never a good idea.

49ers is a long term project with the way that roster is. Probably a 4+ year plan. You get to pick your own QB and build the roster your own way instead of being handed a roster and QB and being told to win with it despite its quality.

Personally I'd of course pick the Jacksonville job , just think for some potential HCs the 49ers job is more attractive.
How do you know? You think we're in a worse spot with Bortles than SF is with Kaep? The QB's in this draft are depressing so it's not like having that high pick gets you a legit QB. LA has Goff who had an absolutely AWFUL rookie year. The Bills have a terrible ownership/GM situation as you can see by the presser being handled by the interim HC after Rex was fired and now the GM saying he had no idea why Rex was let go. The Chargers have a 35 year old Rivers that is on a downward spiral and underachieving.

None of these situations have ideal QB situations. Bortles showed a ton in his 2nd season. Had a bad 3rd year. It sucks, but Adam Gase who was a top candidate last year hitched up with Tannehill and turned him around and now the Dolphins are a playoff team year 1. If there's talent in the QB like Blake has undoubtedly shown, and finished the year with clean mechanics and good play his final two weeks this year, what makes you think a good offensive mind can't haul him in next year? It's glwoingly obvious Gus did something to harness him/played him with shoulder seperations while knowing about it midseason.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 10:14 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:I'd say they'll have the new GM within a week or two, plenty of time to hire a HC.
You think the Jaguars are waiting 2-3 weeks to get a HC? I highly doubt it based on everything Caldwell and co has done, including firing Gus early to get a head start on the search to get things done more quickly.

I honestly expect a hiring or rumors saying the Jaguars are in agreement with a guy in the playoffs come next week at some point like what ATL did with Dan Quinn. They filled his staff while he was still in the playoffs with Seattle.

Does anyone have a reasonable idea of an OC Mike Smith has a relationship with?  McCoy and Turner are each good in their own ways.  Any current O assistant who is hot and talented that he could bring along instead?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Quote:Does anyone have a reasonable idea of an OC Mike Smith has a relationship with?  McCoy and Turner are each good in their own ways.  Any current O assistant who is hot and talented that he could bring along instead?
There is no link for sure. His two previous OC's are both HC's. But he has shown to be able to hire ideal candidate before. He'll obviously have a list of his targets/guys he could bring to Dave when he interviews. If he has someone that Dave think can work well with Bortles, he's a top end candidate with his past HC experience and talented defensive mind.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 10:30 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:How do you know? You think we're in a worse spot with Bortles than SF is with Kaep? The QB's in this draft are depressing so it's not like having that high pick gets you a legit QB. LA has Goff who had an absolutely AWFUL rookie year. The Bills have a terrible ownership/GM situation as you can see by the presser being handled by the interim HC after Rex was fired and now the GM saying he had no idea why Rex was let go. The Chargers have a 35 year old Rivers that is on a downward spiral and underachieving.

None of these situations have ideal QB situations. Bortles showed a ton in his 2nd season. Had a bad 3rd year. It sucks, but Adam Gase who was a top candidate last year hitched up with Tannehill and turned him around and now the Dolphins are a playoff team year 1. If there's talent in the QB like Blake has undoubtedly shown, and finished the year with clean mechanics and good play his final two weeks this year, what makes you think a good offensive mind can't haul him in next year? It's glwoingly obvious Gus did something to harness him/played him with shoulder seperations while knowing about it midseason.

I don't know just saying what I think.Yeah I'd rather have Kap than Bortles. Well personally I think Watson+Mahomes will be good but you don't need to pick a QB this year. LA+Bills would be bottom of the pile for me.

Tannehill is and was better than Blake is/has been. Bortles is fixable of course and has shown flashes but I doubt there's anyone jumping at the chance to fix him. Ton of work to do.

Of course Gus played him, he was coaching for his job. I doubt Bortles would want to sit in that situation anyway. In reality the injuries didn't have much to do with his poor season.

Quote:Does anyone have a reasonable idea of an OC Mike Smith has a relationship with? McCoy and Turner are each good in their own ways. Any current O assistant who is hot and talented that he could bring along instead?

Bill Musgrave the Raiders OC used to be his QB coach and assistant HC with the Falcons. Doubt he would leave though.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 10:35 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:I don't know just saying what I think.Yeah I'd rather have Kap than Bortles. Well personally I think Watson+Mahomes will be good but you don't need to pick a QB this year. LA+Bills would be bottom of the pile for me.

Tannehill is and was better than Blake is/has been. Bortles is fixable of course and has shown flashes but I doubt there's anyone jumping at the chance to fix him. Ton of work to do.

Of course Gus played him, he was coaching for his job. I doubt Bortles would want to sit in that situation anyway. In reality the injuries didn't have much to do with his poor season.
You'd rather have Kap than Bortles?.....

Tannehill was complete and utter [NO SYNONYM?] last year. Most were wondering if they were going to cut him/move on in the draft. 

Seperated his shoulder in mid October. That was right around week 6 or 7. So yeah, I do think it had an effect. He didn't have a great year early in the year, but midseason up until we fired Gus pretty much was the worst part of it. We were 2-3 after the first 5 weeks. SD we got murdered but we were right in it against GB and should have beat BAL in all reality. So yeah, maybe not a massive impact on his play, but it definitely hampered it if it happened like October 25th or whatever like he said.

Quote:Does anyone have a reasonable idea of an OC Mike Smith has a relationship with? McCoy and Turner are each good in their own ways. Any current O assistant who is hot and talented that he could bring along instead?

Mike Bajakian possibly.

Quote:You'd rather have Kap than Bortles?.....

Tannehill was complete and utter [NO SYNONYM?] last year. Most were wondering if they were going to cut him/move on in the draft.

Seperated his shoulder in mid October. That was right around week 6 or 7. So yeah, I do think it had an effect. He didn't have a great year early in the year, but midseason up until we fired Gus pretty much was the worst part of it. We were 2-3 after the first 5 weeks. SD we got murdered but we were right in it against GB and should have beat BAL in all reality. So yeah, maybe not a massive impact on his play, but it definitely hampered it if it happened like October 25th or whatever like he said.

Yeah everything else equal I'd pick Kap if I had to win a few games.

Tannehill in his worst year is still better than current day Bortles.

His mechanics have been the same since preseason and they are mostly the reason he has been so bad. Thats due to Bortles not putting in the work.

Quote:Yeah everything else equal I'd pick Kap if I had to win a few games.

His mechanics have been the same since preseason and they are mostly the reason he has been so bad. Thats due to Bortles not putting in the work.

Wow.  No way.  Especially not Kap.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 11:01 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:Yeah everything else equal I'd pick Kap if I had to win a few games.

Win a few games? What does that matter? Kap clearly has no upside of being a franchise level guy. Blake showed tons of flashes last year of being exactly that. There's no way in the world I'd take Kap over Bortles. Kap's upside is being a QB of a terrible team waiting for a new QB. Bortles most definitely still has the potential to be a franchise level QB that you can go places with if his mechanics are better+decent coaching staff that he hasn't had at the NFL level yet.

Disagree, especially after the last couple weeks where Bortles mechanics were much improved. Last year Tannehill was putrid and a lot of the stuff Jaguars are saying about Bortles is what Dolphins were saying about Tannehill.

Bortles worked all last offseason with teammates. He put in work. Just wasn't the right spot to put the work in. Should have worked with people on his mechanics. It also isn't just on Bortles, it's on Olsen and co. allowing them to deteroitate like they did all through OTA's/TC/Preseason and not try and fix them. So, the coaching staff, like I said before.

Sean Payton says he will be back in NO, well he's off the list for all teams

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>