Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Led the NFL in Broken Tackles Allowed Last Season

Quote:I'm not one to excuse anything this team did. But I'm not sure you watched the game. Cousins did not go three straight drives for TDs. The offense was bad the whole game. The defense was not 2000 Ravens level but they did stop them a few times and give them opportunities to advance the ball. Henne and crew did not.

I do feel our defense can improve but I can promise you 15 ppg is the number 1 reason this team is terrible. If they can score more we might win more.
Cousins tore us apart...  It was an embarrassment.  I remember wishing RG3 was still in there at one point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've no doubt that the 'D' being on the field too long played a part in some of the 'whiffed' tackles... but it certainly doesn't explain all of them, particularly when those 'whiffs' are happening in the first half. I can see a larger, stronger, running back with momentum being able to 'break tackles'; but for a safety or DB to just completely 'whiff' at the pro level early on in a game? That suggest that they didn't want to make contact or they are just plain not motivated to do their job.

It's one thing to be able to say that Gus 'motivates' his players so they don't 'quit' on him... but it also depends on how you define 'quit'. They don't quit in the sense that they show up to play, but I'm not so sure that some players just aren't really 'putting out full effort'. Whiffs at the pro level (unless caused by exhaustion which is a conditioning issue) either mean you're not trying, you're afraid to be hit, or you're incompetent (aka-not very good).

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Anyone who watched the games knows that this wasn't just from the offense not being on the field long.

Watch the Redskins game. Kurt cousins lead three TD drives his first three series.

It was the first quarter.

And Cyprien didn't play that game

Quote:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-an...s-defenses

There are some pretty interesting stats in this Football Outsiders article that shows how poorly some of our tackling was last season. Josh Evans led the league is both percentage of broken tackles as well as total number of broken tackles allowed. Cyprien (4th), Telvin Smith (29th), and JT Thomas (40th) also were all in the top 40 for total number of broken tackles allowed. Chris Clemons also ranked 13th for broken tackles allowed by a defensive lineman.

Our defense missed a total of 121 tackles last season, 10 more than the second worst team. With the exception of Clemons, all these players were relatively young and two of them have been replaced/let go so hopefully this doesn't become a trend.

To me that is the fault of the coaching staff, I am sure other people will debate that is soley the players fault but that many different players miss talking on the Jaguars rookies to veterans has to be some what the coaching staffs fault.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM by Joe.)

Quote:I'm not one to excuse anything this team did. But I'm not sure you watched the game. Cousins did not go three straight drives for TDs. The offense was bad the whole game. The defense was not 2000 Ravens level but they did stop them a few times and give them opportunities to advance the ball. Henne and crew did not.

I do feel our defense can improve but I can promise you 15 ppg is the number 1 reason this team is terrible. If they can score more we might win more.
Right, I didn't watch the game. Cousins destroyed us, he completed 12 Consecutive passes. It was the first half... Without Desean Jackson...

No [BLEEP] this team is bad because of the offense, I never blamed the bad record on the defense, but I'm not gonna sit here and act like the only reason we led in missed tackles was due to us being tired.

We have a decent Dline. Other than that, they really aren't that good.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015, 10:03 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Right, I didn't watch the game. Cousins destroyed us, he completed 12 Consecutive passes. It was the first half... Without Desean Jackson...

No [BAD WORD REMOVED] this team is bad because of the offense, I never blamed the bad record on the defense, but I'm not gonna sit here and act like the only reason we led in missed tackles was due to us being tired.

We have a decent Dline. Other than that, they really aren't that good.
That's my point. The defense has been historically bad and we won games because the offense was decent. The defense is now slightly decent (like the offense has become) but now the offense is not worth a crap but we now lose games.

Maybe a defense can play better with a solid offense backing it up. Even the 2000 Ravens had something solid on offense.

Seattle had a solid offense that could help keep them fresh and playing more on point.

When i read this, all i see is Dez Bryant throwing Cyp off of him like a small child. Sad

Twitter Follow: @jSp3nce

Quote:When i read this, all i see is Dez Bryant throwing Cyp off of him like a small child. Sad

Really? Because I just looked at highlights and didn't see that happen. Gratz maybe. Not Cyprien.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:When i read this, all i see is Dez Bryant throwing Cyp off of him like a small child. Sad

I don't remember this either

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015, 10:56 AM by trunt87.)

I remember cyp being dragged by bryant into the endzone and him completely whiffing Bryant on another play.

I remember numerous times Cyprien diving at thin air or getting his hands on a ball carrier only to be ran through.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I thought Cyprien had a good stretch in the middle of the season where he was matched up with the tight end. He can hang in man coverage, but things get a little dicey when they ask him to play deep zone. I think a better partner at FS, ideally a veteran, would help put Cyp in better position to play to his strengths and improve. He's been given alot of responsibility for such a young player and he hasn't exactly stepped up to the challenge.

Most concerning is his tackling. As others have noted, the whiffs were far too apparent last year, especially from our "enforcer."

I was a big fan of the pick, but I think the chance of him becoming an All Pro safety are pretty slim. I still think he can become a decent safety for us, which is ok for a 2nd rounder.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!