Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who breaks out at LEO now?

I never have understood our handling of Ryan Davis. It seems like every time this guy is on the field, he's putting the QB on his back. Then we pull him to the bench for 3 more plays, while the QB enjoys a clean pocket. Wasn't Davis top-5 in the NFL in pass rushing efficiency per snap? Is his conditioning poor or something? Did RD bad-mouth Gus?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I never have understood our handling of Ryan Davis. It seems like every time this guy is on the field, he's putting the QB on his back. Then we pull him to the bench for 3 more plays, while the QB enjoys a clean pocket. Wasn't Davis top-5 in the NFL in pass rushing efficiency per snap? Is his conditioning poor or something? Did RD bad-mouth Gus?

I've been wondering about this too. He always gets pressure but they don't put him on the field unless it's like 4 DE's rushing. I guess Gus is just set in his scheme with his normal 4 personnel getting pressure unless it's an obvious passing situation.

Quote:I've been wondering about this too. He always gets pressure but they don't put him on the field unless it's like 4 DE's rushing. I guess Gus is just set in his scheme with his normal 4 personnel getting pressure unless it's an obvious passing situation.
The problem is, that base 4 personnel didn't get pressure. I believe we were dead last in pressures last season. 

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2015, 08:49 PM by Stigma.)

I am going to say that Chris Smith is going to turn it up this year. He had 3 sacks in very limited play since he was only on the roster for half the year. At Arkansas, he was the perfect Leo DE and he could be again in Jacksonville.

I am pulling  for all three. Davis seems to excel at rushing the passer as an inside rusher, i.e. from the DT position. Branch seems snakebit, but he is a Jaguar, so it fits. I hope that Branch can at least create QB hurries, if not sacks.

I wouldn't sleep on Clemons. The guy is just getting comfortable with the Jaguars scheme, and I see him capitalizing with double-digit sacks. I'm only wondering if something like 12 sacks for Clemons would be considered breaking out?

As for Ryan Davis, it seems like they're trying him more at the LDE spot. As for Branch, the guy's never really impressed me and I'd be shocked if he actually were to break out. I see Branch continuing to go through the motions to collect his paycheck and little more. As for Chris Smith...dude's a scrub. Quite frankly our best hope for this season lies with Clemons.

'02

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2015, 09:17 PM by justsomeguy.)

Will we really see the position played like Gus wants it to be? It seems like they envisioned Fowler moving around a lot as well as playing a little bit in coverage to mix it up. I don't think we have that in any of the candidates.

If I had to pick a breakout candidate, probably Davis.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2015, 10:45 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:I never have understood our handling of Ryan Davis. It seems like every time this guy is on the field, he's putting the QB on his back. Then we pull him to the bench for 3 more plays, while the QB enjoys a clean pocket. Wasn't Davis top-5 in the NFL in pass rushing efficiency per snap? Is his conditioning poor or something? Did RD bad-mouth Gus?

Davis gets the majority of his sacks rushing from the interior. He's too small to be a full time DT and would get man handed in run defense from the inside on early downs. He's a niche player currently and until he gets better rushing from the outside he'll continue to be used in sub packages. Its not some conspiracy, its just what it is.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

My vote is Ryan Davis and Chris Smith runner up for the future.. although hopefully we can get by leaning on CC for another year

Ryan Davis 10 sack season.
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Quote:Branch has to or he is on the chopping block. Final year of his contract and has all the ability to play the position
this^. Funny how frequently players performance improves during a contract year, isn't it?

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:I wouldn't sleep on Clemons. The guy is just getting comfortable with the Jaguars scheme, and I see him capitalizing with double-digit sacks.

Just getting comfortable?

Quote:Just getting comfortable?

5 years in the scheme seems about right to figure it out, no?  :teehee:

In response to "break out" question:  I figure it'll be more of a aggregate of pressures/sacks by committee than one guy breaking out, but I'd love to see somebody, anybody, light it up at the position. 

He's used on blitz packages in obvious passing downs. (3rd and long usually) 

He usually runs a stunt to the inside.  It's a perfect example of the coaches doing that thing they talk an awful lot about. "Playing to the strengths of our roster." 

<i> </i>It's very possible that they know Davis isn't as effective as an every down type of pass rusher.  Certainly - it would be nice to see him on the field a little more - but they seem to be using him wisely even if not very often. 

I like the idea of Ryan Davis playing more snaps. He always seems to make plays every game, even though sparingly used. Branch NEEDS a solid year or he's probably gone. Just hope we get to the season without anymore pesky injuries.

No pain, no gain.

No one is high on smith? He may have 6 to 8 sacks.

Quote:No one is high on smith? He may have 6 to 8 sacks.

Yeah, he also may not play much at all and finish with 0 sacks. He was already cut once so we will see how much this coaching staff values him.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:No one is high on smith? He may have 6 to 8 sacks.

I could see him having 6. He had 3 last year with very limited snaps

Quote:Just getting comfortable?

Scheme was the wrong word as he came from the same scheme in Seattle, but more just getting comfortable with his new surroundings. He talked about the adjusting to the new players around him last year. This year he'll have a grasp of everything from the get go, and I'm anxious to see how that translates on the field.

'02

Quote:I could see him having 6. He had 3 last year with very limited snaps

Players with limited snaps never get doubled and are sometimes overlooked. When a player moves into a more primary role, he's more accounted for. It's the same as a RB who gets 6 ypc playing a limited role, but struggles to crack 2 ypc as a starter. Getting 3 sacks in such a limited role might be a great sign, but there's no guarantee. He could have just been in some lucky situations. Moreover, is Chris a liablility vs the run? I wonder because while he did have 2 sacks along with 2 half sacks, he only had 6 total tackles, and I believe his sacks account for 4 of those 6.

'02