Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3 Jobs on the line this season?

It makes not one bit of sense to talk about what JDR inherited when comparing him with Bradley. It's not what JDR inherited its what he had at the end. What he had at the end is what Gus and Company GOT RID OF.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If not on the line they have the easiest job in the world.  No expectations so they can do as bad as they like

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:It makes not one bit of sense to talk about what JDR inherited when comparing him with Bradley. It's not what JDR inherited its what he had at the end. What he had at the end is what Gus and Company GOT RID OF.

Okay. What did JDR have at the end and what did Gus and company get rid of that made the difference between the disaster this team has been the last four years and a winning team?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Okay. What did JDR have at the end and what did Gus and company get rid of that made the difference between the disaster this team has been the last four years and a winning team?

Short answer?  A legacy of winning, an overall winning record, and some playoff appearances.

This thread was supposed to be discussing potential hot seat candidates for this season. 

I agree that Caldwell, regardless of record, will be safe.

I think Bortles will be starting for us this season and next.  If he struggles through the 2016 season then another QB will be drafted high and we'll move on.

If you think Gus is unconditionally 100% safe after this season then you've spent time recently in Matt Jones' powder room.  I have no idea what Khan's win/loss threshold for jettisoning him is, but if Gus is sitting around 5-11 at season's end he better be as comfortable as Hernandez was awaiting the jury's verdict.  If instead he's all smiles and preaching about passion/competition and cutting rug to "we believe in victory" then he's even more brain dead than I gave him credit for being.

"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Quote:Okay. What did JDR have at the end and what did Gus and company get rid of that made the difference between the disaster this team has been the last four years and a winning team?
Well... we don't have the answer yet..

But it should be Gabbert/Bortles.

That'll be the biggest difference...

JDR inherited Coughlin guys though...

Bradley inherited Smith guys...

jus sayin'

Quote:Short answer?  A legacy of winning, an overall winning record, and some playoff appearances.

This thread was supposed to be discussing potential hot seat candidates for this season. 

I think Bortles will be starting for us this season and next.  If he struggles through the 2016 season then another QB will be drafted high and we'll move on.

If you think Gus is unconditionally 100% safe after this season then you've spent time recently in Matt Jones' powder room.  I have no idea what Khan's win/loss threshold for jettisoning him is, but if Gus is sitting around 5-11 at season's end he better be as comfortable as Hernandez was awaiting the jury's verdict.  If instead he's all smiles and preaching about passion/competition and cutting rug to "we believe in victory" then he's even more brain dead than I gave him credit for being.
It'll take 3 or less wins....

and even then I'm not sure Gus gets the axe...

Quote:Short answer?  A legacy of winning, an overall winning record, and some playoff appearances.

1.  You do realize there were two coaches between JDR and Bradley, right?  After JDR, there was Mel Tucker then Mike Mularkey.  Neither of whom did very well in their brief stints here.  You can argue they got rid of the legacy of winning, etc., though the true culprit is Gene Smith.

2.  What makes you think I think Gus is unconditionally 100% safe after this season?  I don't.  Now I have argued that perhaps he should be considered safe after the first two seasons dealing with a pronounced lack of talent.  But this year is unquestionably important for him.

The consensus now is that he has at least two superlative drafts with which to work, and one pretty string free agency class.  The burden is on him to develop that talent into productive players and a cohesive team.  Barring a huge assortment of devastating injuries, I don't see how he escapes scrutiny if the team does not approach .500 this year.

Quote:1. You do realize there were two coaches between JDR and Bradley, right? After JDR, there was Mel Tucker then Mike Mularkey. Neither of whom did very well in their brief stints here. You can argue they got rid of the legacy of winning, etc., though the true culprit is Gene Smith.

2. What makes you think I think Gus is unconditionally 100% safe after this season? I don't.
Now I have argued that perhaps he should be considered safe after the first two seasons dealing with a pronounced lack of talent. But this year is unquestionably important for him.

The consensus now is that he has at least two superlative drafts with which to work, and one pretty string free agency class. The burden is on him to develop that talent into productive players and a cohesive team. Barring a huge assortment of devastating injuries, I don't see how he escapes scrutiny if the team does not approach .500 this year.

You might want to re-read his point again.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:You might want to re-read his point again.
For what?

Quote:For what?

He agrees with you.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Exactly.  Del Rio lost the team.  He did so with his manic style of coaching where one minute he was a player's coach, and the next he was the authoritarian.  Neither side served him well, and he could never decide which he was going to be from one day to the next.

This is a guy who demanded leadership, and when the veterans stepped up and did what he asked, he punished them for doing so.  The guy had a world class ego.  Hopefully he's figured out how to keep that in check or his stint in Oakland will be as up and down as it was here.

Bradley actually showed us something last year by getting players to continue playing hard for him despite the struggles.  While his style is very different, it was reminiscent of what Coughlin was able to do with less talented teams later in his tenure here in Jax.  The one trademark of Bradley's teams has been the fact that they don't quit.  As the talent level improves, that tenacity will reap dividends. 
This is probably the most poignant defense of Gus Bradley that I've ever read on this forum. It's pretty unarguable and straight forward. 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:This is probably the most poignant defense of Gus Bradley that I've ever read on this forum. It's pretty unarguable and straight forward. 

Everything is arguable, but I won't disagree with the summation of JDR by FBT.  The man was not perfect, and his teams were on the decline at the end of his tenure.  I'd say about 90% of the blame would go to Gene for that.  I'd invite anyone to debate that assessment with me via PM if they wish.  JDR had his team ready to play on game days and his on-field decision making (time control, challenges, adjustments) was much better than Bradley.  I'd like to add that Coughlin lost his team at the end as well, as players were reportedly tuning him out.  Maybe Gus has the ability to keep his team motivated better than Jack or Tom, but it won't matter if he doesn't start producing results soon because he'll be gone.

Everything will be resolved by the end of this season.  If we're close to 8-8 then I will eat as much crow as you can pile on.  I'll even change my avatar to his stupid laughing face.  However, i don't see us winning more than 5 games.  Caldwell will have his mulligan and he and Khan reel in an accomplished HC to finally get this thing rolling.  No "book it" guarantee from me on this, but it's a strong feeling this is how it pans out.

"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Quote:Well... we don't have the answer yet..

But it should be Gabbert/Bortles.

That'll be the biggest difference...

JDR inherited Coughlin guys though...

Bradley inherited Smith guys...

jus sayin'
this^.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...