Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fowler Hurt at Rookie Camp - Torn ACL

Quote:Why risk the undrafted?  Isn't that discriminatory? 

Players need time on the field to learn a new system and to commit to muscle memory the things that will make them more effective on the field when it matters. 

Using your logic, anything that you deem meaningless is worth avoiding.  If teams or players thought these things were meaningless, they would have negotiated them out of the CBA.  Apparently players and teams see value.

What's next after we ditch putting players on the field for practices?  Scrap the preseason because those games are meaningless?  Players get hurt there too ya know. 

The undrafted have something to prove.  Fowler is already guaranteed playing time.

Im all for learning a new system.  The highly valued draft picks can do that by doing light drills and studying a playbook.  And then they can put it to work in training camp when real development takes place.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The undrafted have something to prove.  Fowler is already guaranteed playing time.

Im all for learning a new system.  The highly valued draft picks can do that by doing light drills and studying a playbook.  And then they can put it to work in training camp when real development takes place.

And the drafted don't have something to prove?  This is getting more and more idiotic with each post.  Keep digging that hole. 

You need to get started on preparing your version of training camp.  The lingerie league is waiting, Oprah.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:So you didn't even read the stinking article?  Classic.

The article didn't indicate which drills they were held out of, or even which players were held out.  Maybe you should have read it.  It did indicate that the same draft picks participated in team drills and even gave a little critique of how they looked.  

I'm curious.  What's the difference if it is 11x11, 9x7, 7x7, or even 1 on 1?  Do players slack off when they're not in 11x11 drills?  Apparently to you they must.

I've had stories confirmed by people I know who follow the team closely too.  They told me several times that they had confirmation that Cowher was in town shopping for a house because the Jags were preparing to hire him as the next head coach.  It's amazing how accurate those close followers can be.

The article is irrelevant.  The drafted players were held out of 11 on 11 according to Dolphins reporters on the scene.  DEAL WITH IT.

In 11 on 11 you have more players running around, you have linemen engaging each other.  It's not complicated.  Do the math.

Quote:And the drafted don't have something to prove?  This is getting more and more idiotic with each post.  Keep digging that hole. 

You need to get started on preparing your version of training camp.  The lingerie league is waiting.

No, not in rookie mini-camp.  I know you think this couple days of practice is PIVOTAL in the careers of these young athletes.  I can assure you it isn't. 

You're getting emotional again.  Time to take a step back and breathe or something.

Quote:The article is irrelevant.  The drafted players were held out of 11 on 11 according to Dolphins reporters on the scene.  DEAL WITH IT.

In 11 on 11 you have more players running around, you have linemen engaging each other.  It's not complicated.  Do the math.
Actually, it's not irrelevant.  Show me the quote where the Dolphin reporter said anything of the sort.  Just one actual quote with the corresponding link.

You only say it's irrelevant because it exposes the flaw in your laughable little theory that the NFL is too big and bad to expose these poor little men to injury. 

How many players were involved in the Fowler injury.  Unless there were 11 guys causing that injury, once again your premise is completely flawed. He could have suffered the same injury in individual drills based on the level of contact.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:No, not in rookie mini-camp.  I know you think this couple days of practice is PIVOTAL in the careers of these young athletes.  I can assure you it isn't. 

You're getting emotional again.  Time to take a step back and breathe or something.

Every rookie entering the league has something to prove regardless of how they got there. 

This isn't about emotion.  It's about sheer stupidity in thinking the kind of practice or what drill it was had anything to do with the injury.  You're just getting desperate here to water down the league and treat these players like they're china dolls. 

Take a step back and breathe? Is that part of your rigorous training regimen for the NFL moving forward?  Hugs and breathing?

Quote:So the players should have clauses incorporated into their contracts saying they can't practice because they might get hurt.  Then what?  Games? 

This is such an idiotic argument.  If we went back and looked at last years rookie mini-camp, I'm fairly certain you weren't going all Oprah Winfrey on the board. 

What?  That isn't at all the point of what I said.  They don't need a clause in the contract.  The point is simply that teams WILL prevent players from exposure to risk.  It's just the same reasoning why you might hold them out of an intense drill during a short mini-camp.  It's avoiding an unnecessary risk.  That's all.  It's really not difficult to understand. 

There don't have to be further implications "OH WHAT NOW YOU GONNA KEEP THEM FROM PRACTICING ALL YEAR DOOD". No, obviously that's not what's being said here.

Quote:What?  That isn't at all the point of what I said.  They don't need a clause in the contract.  The point is simply that teams WILL prevent players from exposure to risk.  It's just the same reasoning why you might hold them out of an intense drill during a short mini-camp.  It's avoiding an unnecessary risk.  That's all.  It's really not difficult to understand. 

There don't have to be further implications "OH WHAT NOW YOU GONNA KEEP THEM FROM PRACTICING ALL YEAR DOOD". No, obviously that's not what's being said here.

You're the one bringing up clauses about motorcycles. It's not a reach to extrapolate from that point, especially given the fact that you've got this wish for a more unicorn and cotton candy brand of professional football. 

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 11:27 AM by badger.)

Quote:Every rookie entering the league has something to prove regardless of how they got there. 

This isn't about emotion.  It's about sheer stupidity in thinking the kind of practice or what drill it was had anything to do with the injury.  You're just getting desperate here to water down the league and treat these players like they're china dolls. 

Take a step back and breathe? Is that part of your rigorous training regimen for the NFL moving forward?  Hugs and breathing?

It's just obvious from your comments, straw man arguments, and belittling of my opinion that you are getting worked up.  Probably comes from a place of insecurity. 

I'm willing to just acknowledge and understand your opinion without creating a straw man and getting emotional.  It's fine man.  You are fine with the current format.  GREAT.  I'm not.  Shake hands, part ways.

Quote:It's just obvious from your comments, straw man arguments, and belittling of my opinion that you are getting worked up.  Probably comes from a place of insecurity. 

I'm willing to just acknowledge and understand your opinion without creating a straw man and getting emotional.  It's fine man.  You are fine with the current format.  GREAT.  I'm not.  Shake hands, part ways.
I see you've moved on to Dr. Phil.

No straw man argument here.  It's clear that you don't want to put the players at risk, so anything we can do to create a bubble around each individual player is an absolute must, unless of course they're undrafted, in which case we can beat them like rented mules because they've got something to prove, unlike the draftees who are worthy of all the accolades without having to show it on the field until it's absolutely necessary, and not a moment sooner.

Quote:Actually, it's not irrelevant.  Show me the quote where the Dolphin reporter said anything of the sort.  Just one actual quote with the corresponding link.

You only say it's irrelevant because it exposes the flaw in your laughable little theory that the NFL is too big and bad to expose these poor little men to injury. 

How many players were involved in the Fowler injury.  Unless there were 11 guys causing that injury, once again your premise is completely flawed. He could have suffered the same injury in individual drills based on the level of contact.

It's irrelevant to me.  If you need to read it on paper then I cant help you.  It probably came from twitter updates from reporters on the scene who noted players sitting out.  Take it for what its worth.

I already said, if ALL the teams did what we do, I would still be of the opinion that the highly valued picks need to take it easy.... so I wouldn't get too hung up with "WHERE IS THE ARTICLE".  It doesn't matter.

Quote:It's irrelevant to me.  If you need to read it on paper then I cant help you.  It probably came from twitter updates from reporters on the scene who noted players sitting out.  Take it for what its worth.

I already said, if ALL the teams did what we do, I would still be of the opinion that the highly valued picks need to take it easy.... so I wouldn't get too hung up with "WHERE IS THE ARTICLE".  It doesn't matter.
Of COURSE it's irrelevant to you.  Any facts that might debunk your claim are going to be irrelevant. 

Players weren't "sitting out" anything, but spin it however you feel you must in order to dismiss facts. 

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 11:41 AM by badger.)

Quote:Of COURSE it's irrelevant to you.  Any facts that might debunk your claim are going to be irrelevant. 

Players weren't "sitting out" anything, but spin it however you feel you must in order to dismiss facts. 

It's irrelevant to me because I don't need to read it in the Miami Herald to believe it happened.  It came from somebody I know, I asked them AGAIN to confirm that it was the case and he said, "Yes, according to the Dolphins beat writers, the draft picks sat out 11 on 11."  DEAL WITH IT.

That isn't spinning anything.  Just relaying what I heard, and It makes sense to me.  If rookie mini-camp is your baby and you'll be dead before ANY CHANGES happen to it, WONDERFUL!

Quote:It's irrelevant to me because I don't need to read it in the Miami Herald to believe it happened.  It came from somebody I know, I asked them AGAIN to confirm that it was the case and he said, "Yes, according to the Dolphins beat writers, the draft picks sat out 11 on 11."  DEAL WITH IT.

That isn't spinning anything.  Just relaying what I heard, and It makes sense to me.  If rookie mini-camp is your baby and you'll be dead before ANY CHANGES happen to it, WONDERFUL!

Well, I'm now convinced.  Someone you know told you someone covering the team said it, so it must be true.  Of course, had you read the article you'd discover a little different narrative, but lets not quibble over facts in writing.  Third hand narratives are always more accurate.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 12:23 PM by badger.)

Quote:Well, I'm now convinced.  Someone you know told you someone covering the team said it, so it must be true.  Of course, had you read the article you'd discover a little different narrative, but lets not quibble over facts in writing.  Third hand narratives are always more accurate.

<div><b>Greg Likens</b> <span><span>@GregLikens </span> </span>  ·  <span> May 9 </span>
</div>

#<b>Dolphins</b> draft class & Matt Hazel continue to work separately
as the rest of the team goes through 11-on-11 drills

<div>
<div><b>Greg Likens</b> <span><span>@GregLikens </span> </span>  ·  <span> May 8 </span>
</div>

In team drills, the draft picks & Matt Hazel are once again working separately from the rest of the #<b>Dolphins</b> rookies

</div>

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/GregLikens'>Greg Likens‏@<b>GregLikens</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/GregLikens/status/596676412377067520' title="11:01 AM - 8 May 2015">May 8</a>
</div>
<p class="">While team drills are taking place on the far field, every draft pick (besides Ajayi) is on the near field doing individual work <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dolphins?src=hash'>#<b>Dolphins</b></a>

<p class=""> 

fwiw

Quote: 

<div>
<div><b>Greg Likens</b> <span><span>@GregLikens </span> </span>  ·  <span> May 9 </span>
</div>

#<b>Dolphins</b> draft class & Matt Hazel continue to work separately
as the rest of the team goes through 11-on-11 drills

<div>
<div><b>Greg Likens</b> <span><span>@GregLikens </span> </span>  ·  <span> May 8 </span>
</div>

In team drills, the draft picks & Matt Hazel are once again working separately from the rest of the #<b>Dolphins</b> rookies

</div>

<div>Greg Likens‏@<b>GregLikens</b> May 8
</div>
While team drills are taking place on the far field, every draft pick (besides Ajayi) is on the near field doing individual work #<b>Dolphins</b>

fwiw

</div>
So they didn't just sit out the drilla as you tried to portray it. 

Again I ask, so what? 

Is 11x11 the only drill that puts players at risk of injury?  I know a guy who blew out his ACL, MCL, and PCL walking into a conference room.  It was a devastating knee injury that involved him turning to walk into a room and his leg just buckled.  The point being, the drills they participate in are irrelevant.  These rookies could have blown out a knee just walking on to the practice field, so we should probably deploy your logic and just prevent them from entering the practice facility all together.  Only show up on game day, and only play the undrafted players since they're worth risking.

Is an injury more acceptable to you if it happens in an OTA?  Training camp?  Preseason games?  Seriously.  When does the emasculation of the preparation process end for you?

The NFL according to Oprah, er, badger.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM by badger.)

Quote:So they didn't just sit out the drilla as you tried to portray it. 

Again I ask, so what? 

Is 11x11 the only drill that puts players at risk of injury?  I know a guy who blew out his ACL, MCL, and PCL walking into a conference room.  It was a devastating knee injury that involved him turning to walk into a room and his leg just buckled.  The point being, the drills they participate in are irrelevant.  These rookies could have blown out a knee just walking on to the practice field, so we should probably deploy your logic and just prevent them from entering the practice facility all together.  Only show up on game day, and only play the undrafted players since they're worth risking.

Is an injury more acceptable to you if it happens in an OTA?  Training camp?  Preseason games?  Seriously.  When does the emasculation of the preparation process end for you?

The NFL according to Oprah, er, badger.

They worked individually apart from the rest of the team during that time.  It's not complicated.

And Justin Houston hurt himself doing a celebration.  I understand things happen.  It just makes sense to me to take precautions during a mini-camp where it should not be about challenging the players physically.

Quote:They worked individually apart from the rest of the team during that time.  It's not complicated.

And Justin Houston hurt himself doing celebration.  I understand things happen.  It just makes sense to me to take precautions during a mini-camp where it should not be about challenging the players physically.

So it was rookies working against rookies. Just like when Fowler got hurt.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM by badger.)

Quote:So it was rookies working against rookies. Just like when Fowler got hurt.

It's a rookie mini-camp for rookies (and other young players).  almost everything is rookie vs rookie.

some of the other players attending might be guys drafted within the past 3 years or so

This whole argument is ridiculous.  The teams are so hampered now by the NFLPA agreement and the very limited practices, the rookie camp is important.  People are always arguing that the players need to be ‘coached up’.  The coaches are getting their first (or one of the first) up close experience with these players.  That's the whole point, there are no veterans there.  Only rookies.

Using the proposed logic…and I use that term loosely…we shouldn’t have OTAs either.  The veterans are just running around with the shorts on anyway and we ‘know they are going to make the team anyway’.  So we should just limit all coaching and preparation to the two weeks of training camp.  I mean, we shouldn’t be making these players prepare when it doesn’t matter anyway.

Let’s just ignore the fact that the players are going to be running around in full pads…at close to full speed…once training camp begins.  If anything, that’s where you should be worried about an injury.  It was a freak accident.  There was far less contact than there would have been in training camp.  [BLEEP] happens.  Get over it.  I find this whole premise laughable.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]