Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fowler Hurt at Rookie Camp - Torn ACL

Quote:They worked individually apart from the rest of the team during that time.  It's not complicated.

And Justin Houston hurt himself doing a celebration.  I understand things happen.  It just makes sense to me to take precautions during a mini-camp where it should not be about challenging the players physically.

Apparently it's pretty complicated as far as you're concerned.  The rookies did participate in team drills.  How does the fact that they did individual work during 11x11s matter if they were still out there practicing.  How did an 11x11 drill somehow cause Fowler's injury?  You can't answer that because there isn't an answer.  He was in no more danger of injury on the play in which he blew out his knee than he would have been if he was doing the exact same thing against a tackling dummy.  Why this is so impossible for you to comprehend is odd. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 01:27 PM by badger.)

Quote:This whole argument is ridiculous.  The teams are so hampered now by the NFLPA agreement and the very limited practices, the rookie camp is important.  People are always arguing that the players need to be ‘coached up’.  The coaches are getting their first (or one of the first) up close experience with these players.  That's the whole point, there are no veterans there.  Only rookies.

Using the proposed logic…and I use that term loosely…we shouldn’t have OTAs either.  The veterans are just running around with the shorts on anyway and we ‘know they are going to make the team anyway’.  So we should just limit all coaching and preparation to the two weeks of training camp.  I mean, we shouldn’t be making these players prepare when it doesn’t matter anyway.

Let’s just ignore the fact that the players are going to be running around in full pads…at close to full speed…once training camp begins.  If anything, that’s where you should be worried about an injury.  It was a freak accident.  There was far less contact than there would have been in training camp.  [BAD WORD REMOVED] happens.  Get over it.  I find this whole premise laughable.

No, using the proposed logic you might make sure your best players are not doing intense drills that are more likely to result in injury during OTAs.  Using the proposed logic, you would make certain players completely off limits to contact (which is actually applied by almost every team).

Im not ignoring traiing camp.  In fact, I've mentioned it several times in various posts.  You get over it.

Quote:This whole argument is ridiculous.  The teams are so hampered now by the NFLPA agreement and the very limited practices, the rookie camp is important.  People are always arguing that the players need to be ‘coached up’.  The coaches are getting their first (or one of the first) up close experience with these players.  That's the whole point, there are no veterans there.  Only rookies.

Using the proposed logic…and I use that term loosely…we shouldn’t have OTAs either.  The veterans are just running around with the shorts on anyway and we ‘know they are going to make the team anyway’.  So we should just limit all coaching and preparation to the two weeks of training camp.  I mean, we shouldn’t be making these players prepare when it doesn’t matter anyway.

Let’s just ignore the fact that the players are going to be running around in full pads…at close to full speed…once training camp begins.  If anything, that’s where you should be worried about an injury.  It was a freak accident.  There was far less contact than there would have been in training camp.  [BAD WORD REMOVED] happens.  Get over it.  I find this whole premise laughable.

Clearly badger has some sort of research supporting the premise that 11x11 drills specifically in non-contact, non padded practices are far more likely to result in injuries to rookie draft picks, so they should be eliminated from rookie mini-camps.  The other drills are perfectly alright based on the fact that nobody else was injured during these.  Of course, Heuerman injured his ACL in Denver doing special teams drills.  So, we need to eliminate them as well.  We don't need these rookies trying to familiarize themselves with the practice regimen in the NFL, especially if they were drafted.  Now, the undrafted guys?  Meh.  Who cares?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:No, using the proposed logic you might make sure your best players are not doing intense drills that are more likely to result in injury during OTAs.  Using the proposed logic, you would make certain players completely off limits to contact (which is actually applied by almost every team).
So, you don't practice those players that are deemed the "best players?"

You'd put them all in red shirts and not allow even the slightest pushing? 

Are you afraid they'll hurt their lady parts? 

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 01:30 PM by Jags32250.)

Good lord, Badger.  You need a hobby or something, are you serious with this?  You too FBT!  Geez.

Quote:Good lord, Badger.  You need a hobby or something, are you serious with this?

He's as serious as menstrual cramps. 

Quote:So, you don't practice those players that are deemed the "best players?"

You'd put them all in red shirts and not allow even the slightest pushing? 

Are you afraid they'll hurt their lady parts? 

Are you saying that teams don't protect their mvp type players in practice?

Quote:He's as serious as menstrual cramps. 

He said, "You too FBT."  That's you.

Quote:No, using the proposed logic you might make sure your best players are not doing intense drills that are more likely to result in injury during OTAs.  Using the proposed logic, you would make certain players completely off limits to contact (which is actually applied by almost every team).

Im not ignoring traiing camp.  In fact, I've mentioned it several times in various posts.  You get over it.

Intense drills?  Really?  Intense?

Oh boy.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Clearly badger has some sort of research supporting the premise that 11x11 drills specifically in non-contact, non padded practices are far more likely to result in injuries to rookie draft picks, so they should be eliminated from rookie mini-camps.  The other drills are perfectly alright based on the fact that nobody else was injured during these.  Of course, Heuerman injured his ACL in Denver doing special teams drills.  So, we need to eliminate them as well.  We don't need these rookies trying to familiarize themselves with the practice regimen in the NFL, especially if they were drafted.  Now, the undrafted guys?  Meh.  Who cares?

Ha, ya I do.  "Fowler gets hurt first day of mini-camp in 11 on 11".  That's all the research I need for me to agree with Coach Bradley when next year they take it easy during mini-camp.

Quote:Intense drills?  Really?  Intense?

Oh boy.

Ya, are you not familiar with that word?

Quote:Ya, are you not familiar with that word?

Obviously you aren't.

Very obvious.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Obviously you aren't.

Very obvious.

I would consider a player going 100% against an offensive lineman "intense", but hey, to each their own

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Thank you sir for your post. It was a freak accident. Nothing more, nothing less. Like you stated the new CBA has really limited the time coaches can get teams ready in the off-season. The teams that are already established like the Pats or Cowboys (more veteran players) are not at the disadvantage so they may not need their draft picks being as active in rookie camps if even at all. Teams like the Jags on the other hand need this time. We rely heavily of draft picks and young players and this is time for philosophy instillation and to get a look at them in some live action. There may be some sense of pageantry for the fans but again teams like the jags don't have a Peyton or Brady for them to have a sense of adoration towards. This is how we get our hype built. 

Yes it sucks but to down play the importance of a rookie camp for a team like the jaguars is foolish at best. With minimal veteran presence, these guys need as many reps as they need. I personally would not change a thing. It's almost the same thing as installing your system at the senior bowl to get guys that you are most likely gonna draft and they tear their ACL..... Sometimes stuff just happens. Teams have to be creative in ways they can get their young players as many reps as possible.

Rookie mini camps are fine. This is just typical overreaction on the part of fans.  

On another note, I am very proud of this franchise giving this guy his contract and not trying to skimp out on the money with language written into it. Shows me that they are pretty set on where this roster is and that they are comfortable with him basically sitting out a year.

Go Jags

Quote:Thank you sir for your post. It was a freak accident. Nothing more, nothing less. Like you stated the new CBA has really limited the time coaches can get teams ready in the off-season. The teams that are already established like the Pats or Cowboys (more veteran players) are not at the disadvantage so they may not need their draft picks being as active in rookie camps if even at all. Teams like the Jags on the other hand need this time. We rely heavily of draft picks and young players and this is time for philosophy instillation and to get a look at them in some live action. There may be some sense of pageantry for the fans but again teams like the jags don't have a Peyton or Brady for them to have a sense of adoration towards. This is how we get our hype built. 

Yes it sucks but to down play the importance of a rookie camp for a team like the jaguars is foolish at best. With minimal veteran presence, these guys need as many reps as they need. I personally would not change a thing. It's almost the same thing as installing your system at the senior bowl to get guys that you are most likely gonna draft and they tear their ACL..... Sometimes stuff just happens. Teams have to be creative in ways they can get their young players as many reps as possible.

Rookie mini camps are fine. This is just typical overreaction on the part of fans.  

On another note, I am very proud of this franchise giving this guy his contract and not trying to skimp out on the money with language written into it. Shows me that they are pretty set on where this roster is and that they are comfortable with him basically sitting out a year.

Go Jags

I respect your opinion.  Thank you for your polite and well thought out response.

Quote:I respect your opinion.  Thank you for your polite and well thought out response.
No problem sir, always love debating with other fans. 

Quote:Ha, ya I do.  "Fowler gets hurt first day of mini-camp in 11 on 11".  That's all the research I need for me to agree with Coach Bradley when next year they take it easy during mini-camp.

And your reaction is a perfect example of "knee jerk."  You've got zero to support the premise that this specific drill puts players in more jeopardy than any other other than one injury.  If it was indeed true that 11 on 11 drills were more risky, we would have heard about many more injuries last week than the 2 significant ones we did, and only one of those came in the drill you're overreacting to. 

Quote:And your reaction is a perfect example of "knee jerk."  You've got zero to support the premise that this specific drill puts players in more jeopardy than any other other than one injury.  If it was indeed true that 11 on 11 drills were more risky, we would have heard about many more injuries last week than the 2 significant ones we did, and only one of those came in the drill you're overreacting to. 

No, I don't have zero support since AT LEAST one other team has set precedent.

Will it be a "knee jerk" reaction when Gus Bradley doesn't have the early draft picks participate in similar drills?

Quote:No, I don't have zero support since AT LEAST one other team has set precedent.

Will it be a "knee jerk" reaction when Gus Bradley doesn't have the early draft picks participate in similar drills?
Miami has set a precedent?  Do you have anything supporting this?  No, other than Miami putting players in individual drills at various times during practices.  A precedent would imply other teams are following suit.  They aren't. 

Did Bradley keep the rest of the draft picks out of 11x11 drills THE NEXT DAY?  No.  He doesn't think football players should wear skirts.  You clearly disagree. 

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 02:48 PM by badger.)

Quote:Miami has set a precedent?  Do you have anything supporting this?  No, other than Miami putting players in individual drills at various times during practices.  A precedent would imply other teams are following suit.  They aren't. 

Did Bradley keep the rest of the draft picks out of 11x11 drills THE NEXT DAY?  No.  He doesn't think football players should wear skirts.  You clearly disagree. 

All I have is a report where the Miami draft picks worked out separately during 11 on 11.  So, deal with it or something.

The next day he might have told the guys to not go 100% in 11 on 11.  I don't know.  Were you there?  And just because he didn't the next day doesn't mean next year they wont take precautions with their first pick.  They might, and I think they will.  I guess you will accuse Bradley of wearing a dress or whatever (clearly you're obsessed with men in women's clothing).