Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fowler Hurt at Rookie Camp - Torn ACL

Quote:All I have is a report where the Miami draft picks worked out separately during 11 on 11.  So, deal with it or something.

The next day he might have told the guys to not go 100% in 11 on 11.  I don't know.  Were you there?  And just because he didn't the next day doesn't mean next year they wont take precautions with their first pick.  They might, and I think they will.  I guess you will accuse Bradley of wearing a dress or whatever (clearly you're obsessed with men in women's clothing).

Thanks for reporting on that "precedent".

Again, you've got nothing to back up anything you're saying.  Most people would realize they're embarrassing themselves by now, but you're a trooper. 

They didn't change anything the next day.  Same tempo.  Same drills.   I'm pretty sure nothing is going to change.  They realize football is played by men, and that these drills are required to help develop timing.  If you think they should take it easy on the players, seriously, pick a more appropriate sport like badminton or hopscotch. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 02:55 PM by badger.)

Quote:Thanks for reporting on that "precedent".

Again, you've got nothing to back up anything you're saying.  Most people would realize they're embarrassing themselves by now, but you're a trooper. 

They didn't change anything the next day.  Same tempo.  Same drills.   I'm pretty sure nothing is going to change.  They realize football is played by men, and that these drills are required to help develop timing.  If you think they should take it easy on the players, seriously, pick a more appropriate sport like badminton or hopscotch. 

How is that nothing?  It's definitely something.

What's more embarrassing?  Me defending my argument or you getting visibly upset about it?  I mean, it's not that big of a deal.  Chill out.  Go dream about dudes in mom jeans or whatever.

You are constantly patrolling these boards belittling everybody with a different opinion from you.  It's a little ridiculous.  But ok, I'm the one embarrassing myself.

Quote:How is that nothing?  It's definitely something.

What's more embarrassing?  Me defending my argument or you getting visibly upset about it?  I mean, it's not that big of a deal.  Chill out.  Go dream about dudes in mom jeans or whatever.

You are constantly patrolling these boards belittling everybody with a different opinion from you.  It's a little ridiculous.  But ok, I'm the one embarrassing myself.
I'd say the person who is suggesting that the team should soften the practice schedule on these poor boys because they're in danger of injury should be embarrassed, but clearly you're proud of your position.  The current CBA already restricts the number of practices players can participate in dramatically, and you want to water that down even more.  Then, when the team is not conditioned or not properly prepared, and the young players are struggling, you'll be one of the first in line declaring who the busts are. 

How is that nothing?  Well, for starters, they didn't cut the drill out on day 2 of the rookie mini-camp.

There's nothing to indicate Gus told they to "take it easy" in the drills like you're suggesting.

Have you ever actually seen a football practice?  You do realize they do multiple iterations of these drills, so even in Miami, it's quite possible they're not employing the weak kneed approach you think they are.  I'd be curious to know if the draft picks were held out of ALL 11x11 drills, or just certain ones so they could work with position coaches?  You don't know the answer to that.

You've also avoided answering my question about why 11x11 drills are dangerous, but 9x7, 7x7, or other drills aren't.  I'm still waiting for the soccer mom version of a response.  I'll wait.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Lingerie league, mum jeans, Oprah, girls in the scene, dressing gowns, menstrual cramps...

FBT, do you have something you'd like to tell the board mate?  We don't judge.

Badger has an opinion, you do as well.  Fair.

But he hasn't made inane personal attacks to you in the process.

For someone as passionate and credible as you, these tangents do seem quite curious.  

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM by badger.)

Quote:I'd say the person who is suggesting that the team should soften the practice schedule on these poor boys because they're in danger of injury should be embarrassed, but clearly you're proud of your position.  The current CBA already restricts the number of practices players can participate in dramatically, and you want to water that down even more.  Then, when the team is not conditioned or not properly prepared, and the young players are struggling, you'll be one of the first in line declaring who the busts are. 

How is that nothing?  Well, for starters, they didn't cut the drill out on day 2 of the rookie mini-camp.

There's nothing to indicate Gus told they to "take it easy" in the drills like you're suggesting.

Have you ever actually seen a football practice?  You do realize they do multiple iterations of these drills, so even in Miami, it's quite possible they're not employing the weak kneed approach you think they are.  I'd be curious to know if the draft picks were held out of ALL 11x11 drills, or just certain ones so they could work with position coaches?  You don't know the answer to that.

You've also avoided answering my question about why 11x11 drills are dangerous, but 9x7, 7x7, or other drills aren't.  I'm still waiting for the soccer mom version of a response.  I'll wait.

No I didn't.  I answered that like two pages ago.

When the team is not conditioned?  The mini-camp is not going to get them conditioned for anything.  It's just an introduction.  I think having a 100% effort 11 on 11 drill is a bit much within the first hour of the first day.  But hey, I guess that makes me a girl or something.

Quote:No I didn't.  I answered that like two pages ago.

You haven't answered squat.  A lot of guys running around out there?  How many were around Fowler when he was injured.  For all the dangers, how many other players league wide were injured in 11x11 drills during their rookie mini-camps this year?  The number of players running around out there had zero to do with this injury.  

Quote:Lingerie league, mum jeans, Oprah, girls in the scene, dressing gowns, menstrual cramps...

FBT, do you have something you'd like to tell the board mate?  We don't judge.

Badger has an opinion, you do as well.  Fair.

But he hasn't made inane personal attacks to you in the process.

For someone as passionate and credible as you, these tangents do seem quite curious.  
I'm simply making a point that there are those out there who are looking for any way possible to water down football for fear of injury.  Badger's rhetoric about the need for these practices fits right in line with a certain sect in our society today who are hypersensitive to injury.  Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL, and while what happened to Fowler sucks, when it happened, or how it happened is completely irrelevant.  Especially since this was a non-contact drill where the number of players on the field had nothing to do with the injury, yet badger would suggest otherwise. 

Why? 

Because he wants a kinder, gentler NFL. He wants the players treated like they're some fragile piece of glass that should only be admired from the sideline and not in action.

Sorry, Brit, but we've all seen how dramatically they've cut back on the number of practices and the physicality of the practices they are allowed to have.  Every minute these guys can get on the field and work with the coaches is critical, especially for rookies and players who are new to the system. 

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM by badger.)

Quote:You haven't answered squat.  A lot of guys running around out there?  How many were around Fowler when he was injured.  For all the dangers, how many other players league wide were injured in 11x11 drills during their rookie mini-camps this year?  The number of players running around out there had zero to do with this injury.  

An answer is an answer.  You might not have liked the answer.  That doesn't mean it's not an answer.  I didn't avoid the question like you said.

My point is not that Fowler's injury resulted from multiple guys running into him.  It just seems obvious to me that the more players are out there, the bigger the chance of (an ankle, knee, ect.) getting rolled up on or collisions occurring.

Yawn.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Now here is a take that I haven't heard being mentioned.... I wonder if the injury may have occurred due to fatigue? I remember last year the rookies complained of being tired. Basically from the time the play their last bowl game, to the senior bowl, to the combine, to work out days, to mini rookie camp they don't get time off. I remember that being a theme last year.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 03:23 PM by Bullseye.)

One thing has not been addressed here:

Fowler himself did not think he was put in any unnecessary risk.

Not once in the whole aftermath of his injury has Fowler said he should not have been participating in these drills.  He simply said "it's football."

None of the other participants in the camp have publicly made any similar denouncements of "unnecessary risks."

Neither the NFL nor the NFLPA have ruled that the Jaguars put the rookies at any unnecessary risks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:An answer is an answer.  You might not have liked the answer.  That doesn't mean it's not an answer.  I didn't avoid the question like you said.

My point is not that Fowler's injury resulted from multiple guys running into him.  It just seems obvious to me that the more players are out there, the bigger the chance of (an ankle, knee, ect.) getting rolled up on or collisions occurring.
There was no answer.  You tap dance around it because there's a video out there that shows that the kind of drill it was had NOTHING to do with the injury.  Multiple guys didn't run into Fowler.  One guy put 2 hands on him for half a second.  So, in theory, that could have been a 1 on 1 drill, or even Fowler against a tackle dummy and the exact same thing could have happened.  The drill had zero to do with what transpired.

Quote:One thing has not been addressed here:

Fowler himself did not think he was put in any unnecessary risk.

Not once in the whole aftermath of his injury has Fowler said he should not have been participating in these drills.  He simply said "it's football."

None of the other participants in the camp have publicly made any similar denouncements of "unnecessary risks."
They need to have a sit down with badger to get on the right page here. 

You'll be told by badger that Fowler was simply towing the company line in front of the cameras, but behind the scenes he might have been complaining in the locker room that he shouldn't have been out there, and that the other rookie draft picks issued a silent protest at day 2 of practice by going half speed in all drills to avoid injury and show solidarity.

It is not a ridiculous notion to think that it would be wise to seriously limit the amount of physical activities during those sessions, especially on the rookies. let me explain why. Those guys have been in a whirlwind since the end of their respective seasons, they have not been eating correctly, sleeping correctly, hydrating correctly, working out regularly or much of anything that high level athletes need to be doing. That may or may not have anything to do with the injury but it certainly did not help..

On a side note. FBT, IMO, for what it's worth you are acting like a [BLEEP] with all your personal attacks and jabs.

Quote:They need to have a sit down with badger to get on the right page here. 

You'll be told by badger that Fowler was simply towing the company line in front of the cameras, but behind the scenes he might have been complaining in the locker room that he shouldn't have been out there, and that the other rookie draft picks issued a silent protest at day 2 of practice by going half speed in all drills to avoid injury and show solidarity.

I can speak for myself.  The god complex is real.

I wouldn't expect Fowler to have any other outlook but a positive one.

Quote:Now here is a take that I haven't heard being mentioned.... I wonder if the injury may have occurred due to fatigue? I remember last year the rookies complained of being tired. Basically from the time the play their last bowl game, to the senior bowl, to the combine, to work out days, to mini rookie camp they don't get time off. I remember that being a theme last year.

Fatigue can certainly play into injury.  They have been going relatively non-stop since the end of the college season in preparation for the NFL.  That shouldn't exempt them from practicing in drills unless there's a clear concern issued by the medical staff that they're putting players in jeopardy.  I tend to doubt that this injury was the result of player fatigue, but it's a far more credible concern than the drill he was participating in being the culprit.

Quote:I can speak for myself.  The god complex is real.

I wouldn't expect Fowler to have any other outlook but a positive one.
So, the player didn't complain about the drills, and didn't whine that he was fatigued, yet you're stepping up to the plate to take care of it for him.  Bully for you. 

Quote:So, the player didn't complain about the drills, and didn't whine that he was fatigued, yet you're stepping up to the plate to take care of it for him.  Bully for you. 

Not really.  We're on a message board and all I said was "I think they may tone it down next year" and then the argument digressed from there...

Quote:It is not a ridiculous notion to think that it would be wise to seriously limit the amount of physical activities during those sessions, especially on the rookies. let me explain why. Those guys have been in a whirlwind since the end of their respective seasons, they have not been eating correctly, sleeping correctly, hydrating correctly, working out regularly or much of anything that high level athletes need to be doing. That may or may not have anything to do with the injury but it certainly did not help..

On a side note. FBT, IMO, for what it's worth you are acting like a [BLEEP] with all your personal attacks and jabs.

It was a non-padded, non-contact drill in shells and shorts.  Watch the video again.  The level of intensity wasn't game level or anything close to that. 

Quote:Not really.  We're on a message board and all I said was "I think they may tone it down next year" and then the argument digressed from there...

They had an opportunity to tone it down the next day.