Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The mind of Josh Evans

'Glaring need for Jags is Free Safety'

'The Jags have a major hole at FS that they had to try and fill'

'Free Safety, biggest need for Jags pre draft'

Yet, the guy who manned the position has started 25 of 32 games in only 2 years in the league

How does one make that many outings in a job that has been so widely rebuked?

Yeah, limited alternatives, but tis the NFL, there are always options

So now we'll bring in Sergio Brown entering his 6th year with only 11 career starts and a promising rookie to take over

Josh

Wait, do I get to at least compete with these guys for pecking order?

Am I now switching to the strong side, backing up Cyp? 

Do I need to channel my inner Zelenka and 'multitask' with long snapping, ST play etc to battle for a roster spot?

Or, just go hide in shame?

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think I heard he may very well slide over to SS

Yeah, it's looking like he will backup Cyp at SS.

My point is is he that atrocious at the position that an average Sergio Brown and rookie Sample automatically supplant him, while he's asked to switch positions?  I don't get it.  Why wouldn't it be an ongoing battle to see who rises to the top out of all the safeties in the roster?

Quote:My point is is he that atrocious at the position that an average Sergio Brown and rookie Sample automatically supplant him, while he's asked to switch positions?  I don't get it.  Why wouldn't it be an ongoing battle to see who rises to the top out of all the safeties in the roster?
Because Evans has proven over and over again that we'd be better off putting ten players on the field than letting him continue on at free safety.

I get it.  Truly didn't even remember what he looked liked.  I just can't fathom how someone of such oft-discussed liability sustained a starting role that many games.  Granted on a team that was devoid of talent, but if he was clearly the weakest link, then try other links in your roster or otherwise. 

Didn't he show promise in his rookie year and outplayed his higher draft mate, Cyp, for stretches?  Then they both regressed in year 2.  Some say, Cyp tried to compensate for Evan's flaws and that derailed him too.  Who knows.  But I won't readily discard a 23 year old 78% starter for a 26 year old 14% agent, and a rookie.  They battle and we see if we've really upgraded.  

If a clearly higher pedigreed safety was brought in, then the story changes.  With the current cast, there's room for growth and we  just can't affix # 1, # 2 labels before any competition.  Sergio Brown wasn't let go in New England and Indy because they felt like he could man the ship.  Grass is not always greener.  The rook on the other hand is a fresh slate and offers a potential fix.  Hopefully, he establishes his status soon.

He never actually won a starting job outright, IIRC. Lowery was injured in his rookie year, and he wound up being a fill-in who took the job when Lowery left. This past year, he actually lost the starting job in camp to the illustrious Winston Guy, who played so well that he was on Indy's practice squad by November 1. That left Evans, once again, as the starter by default. I could be mistaken on the exact circumstances, but I don't believe Evans ever actually won the job out of camp.

Quote:He never actually won a starting job outright, IIRC. Lowery was injured in his rookie year, and he wound up being a fill-in who took the job when Lowery left. This past year, he actually lost the starting job in camp to the illustrious Winston Guy, who played so well that he was on Indy's practice squad by November 1. That left Evans, once again, as the starter by default. I could be mistaken on the exact circumstances, but I don't believe Evans ever actually won the job out of camp.

To be fair to Evans, though, the defense did perform remarkably better once he replaced Guy in the lineup.  Not saying it was all him, but he sure must have helped.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 09:13 PM by badger.)

It's pretty typical for fans to immediately assume almost all the draft picks will start. Josh Evans might be the best free safety on the roster after training camp and preseason. We don't know yet.

James Sample is not going to be handed the job as a 4th round pick. He will need to prove he is better than Evans on the field.

I can see Evans backing up Cyp. He fits the SS better, IMO. He's a pretty good tackler.
Shock the world

Quote:I can see Evans backing up Cyp. He fits the SS better, IMO. He's a pretty good tackler.
He's a better tackler than cyp

Quote:He's a better tackler than cyp

I don't know about that. It's close.
Shock the world

Evens is underrated by this board. He is not great but he is also not horrible. The ROI on Evans has been better than that of Cyprien to be honest.

Quote:Evens is underrated by this board. He is not great but he is also not horrible. The ROI on Evans has been better than that of Cyprien to be honest.

I don't understand it either. He's really not that bad. Especially for a 6th round pick that was forced to start pretty much. I don't think he's a bonafide starter in the league, but I'd take him as a backup any day. He's a competitor.
Shock the world

He played because he was the best option at the time. Now there are better options.

The Jaguars did not pick 3rd in the draft because every position was stocked.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I think our FS probably the last few years tave been that we've had more SSs than FSs, and been trying to covert SS to FS.

Quote:Evens is underrated by this board. He is not great but he is also not horrible. The ROI on Evans has been better than that of Cyprien to be honest.

I know why. It's because Cyp hasn't lived up to the hype and Evans is the fall guy.

Evans was at times a decent FS.  The rest of the time he was horrible.  He has a skill-set - but it definitely isn't that of the center-field-type safety. Maybe in what seems to be a minor re-vamp of the secondary he'll find a role. 

All this talk of disguising their safety roles/looks smacks of a tweak in the scheme - and I'm all for it <i> </i>if it will help eliminate even half of the huge plays Evans gave up last season.  Regardless of who is out there at safety. 

I don't think Evans is underrated.  I think he got off too easy.  

There's a reason the Jags went after McCourty, then landed a back-up plan FA with Sergio Brown,  then drafted another safety and signed a UDFA DB.  

That reason is the poor play of Evans.

I have nothing against the kid, and I like his effort.  He just comes up a day late and a dollar short in diagnosing and responding to the offense way too often. 

I think we know both of our safeties suck could use improvement and we now have a guy that can compete and push them.

No pain, no gain.

According to <span><span><span><span>John Oehser from Jaguars.com</span></span></span></span>

FS Sergio Brown will likely start with draftee James Sample trying to vest him and Josh Evans will be depth guy for both SS & FS.