Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pick 104 James Sample Safety Louisville, Who?

Any guy we drafted at FS in this draft had a very low floor. This guy seems like the best value and has one of the highest floors with his ability to be our FS or a rotational SS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If anyone needs competition on defense its Cyp.

Quote:If anyone needs competition on defense its Cyp.

yep.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Rashad Greene in the 5th

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Rashad Greene in the 5th

Quick!  Everyone over to the Rashad Greene thread!  

Quote:God here we go.

Let's hear the expert analysis from people that have probably never watched a Louisville game in their life.

Well, if you don't know who he is, the best approach is to hate the pick, right?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Wow, was hanging out in the other thread...pretty surprised Sample was so unheard of by so many. 

Quote:Wow, was hanging out in the other thread...pretty surprised Sample was so unheard of by so many.

Yet never seen you mention him.

Good pick.  I like the attitude that he plays with.  Great value.

Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Quote:Yet never seen you mention him.

Yeah but his big brothers on twitter know who he is sooo...

A safety that can play both SS/FS is going to be a sought after commodity in the near future IMO. Some DC's in the NFL are starting to use a "heavy nickel" hybrid defense which features a 3 safety look. DC's are using this package against 2 TE sets which feature a TE that's more like a WR. They are substituting a slower LB for a more dynamic athlete in a safety to better cover receiving TE's. I'm wondering if Gus is thinking of adding this kind of wrinkle to his defense?
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Initially I hated this pick because everyone was talking about a box safety. Matt elam ran 4.55 I think kenny vacarro ran 4.6 flat. If Sample ran 4.45 he should have gone two round higher. He's a guy who has suprised in coverage and has a chance to play fs. In the 4th round ur looking fit guys who have a legit shot to start.

Quote:A safety that can play both SS/FS is going to be a sought after commodity in the near future IMO. Some DC's in the NFL are starting to use a "heavy nickel" hybrid defense which features a 3 safety look. DC's are using this package against 2 TE sets which feature a TE that's more like a WR. They are substituting a slower LB for a more dynamic athlete in a safety to better cover receiving TE's. I'm wondering if Gus is thinking of adding this kind of wrinkle to his defense?

We played that 2 corner, 3 safety stuff a long long time ago, either in the Coughlin era or maybe the Del Rio era.  

The reason we did it was because our 3rd safety was better than our 3rd corner.   It wasn't any great innovation on our part. 

That Dave Caldwell is so hot right now.

Quote:We played that 2 corner, 3 safety stuff a long long time ago, either in the Coughlin era or maybe the Del Rio era.

The reason we did it was because our 3rd safety was better than our 3rd corner. It wasn't any great innovation on our part.
I'm aware that we ran that formation in the past, but we did it because, like you said, we lacked talent at the CB position. Bucky Brooks made a good case in this article about how to better defend "hybrid" athletes with "hybrid" defenses.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000375711/article/big-nickel-package-emerging-as-nfls-hottest-defensive-trend'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000375711/article/big-nickel-package-emerging-as-nfls-hottest-defensive-trend</a>

I thought it was a pretty good read. I'm just wondering if Gus is giving much thought of adding this look to his defensive scheme.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

By the end of the year, he will start and we will expect great things out of him during his second year.

Rotoworld wrote

Sample (6'2/209) transferred from the University of Washington to a California JUCO before landing at UL, where he became the Cardinals' leading tackler as a senior and intercepted four passes. Although overshadowed by Gerod Holliman in the same secondary, Sample is the superior pro prospect as a quick-twitch mover and tough tackler with plus athleticism, running 4.56 at the Combine with a 10-foot-3 broad jump. Sample best projects as a half-field safety who won't necessarily focus on center field or the box. He should be able to perform both tasks adequately.

Everyone is comparing him more to Cyprien or even Donvan Darius as a SS but I think he'll compete for FS on the team.

I hope this kid can play FS..

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>