Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AJ Cann, OG, South Carolina 3rd round pick

Quote:The problem was at the two tackle positions. This pick, while good, doesn't solve that. Even assuming that Parnell fills the RT hole, Joeckel is still a big question mark.

Beadles started out poorly, but graded well the 2nd half of the season. Not a surprise for a guy coming into a new (and apparently weird Fisch) system. Linder is a fixture, and we have two decent centers. The loser at center as well as Pasztor could fill in or compete in case of injury/decline. The interior OL was already OK.

That's not to say the pick was a mistake; we had a lot of OL injuries last year and can always use quality depth. But unless Cann outplays a guy who would otherwise start it's not going to help the sack total. Parnell and Joeckel need to do that.

Beadles is probably only going to be here thru next year….his guarantees are up and he hasn't been playing up to his salary.  Draft/Groom the replacement and plug Cann in Next year will getting playing time this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Caldwell discusses the AJ Cann pick:

http://prod.video.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/...-1200k.mp4
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I see Beadles winning the start with Cann having a role in the Special Teams OL units this year. I also see Cann as the top backup at either G position. Next year Cann is most likely starting, but it's too early to say where or why, etc. If Cann does win a starting role this offseason, I'll truly be impressed. I'm simply not expecting as much.

'02

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 12:54 AM by TTechJag85.)

Quote:I see Beadles winning the start with Cann having a role in the Special Teams OL units this year. I also see Cann as the top backup at either G position. Next year Cann is most likely starting, but it's too early to say where or why, etc. If Cann does win a starting role this offseason, I'll truly be impressed. I'm simply not expecting as much.
If Beadles starts next year it will be because he is drastically improved.... Because as it stands right now,, and reading between the lines from what Gus said about Beadles at the presser for Cann....Beadles tried to be a vocal guy for the group last year but his play was so bad that he was basically told to be quiet and focus on yourself before you try to be a leader...

He was very bad in Denver, and he was very bad last year,,, my money says it's the rule not the exception.... He is the one who should be the depth player... And an expensive one at that, and I would be surprised if Cann is not starting at LG week 1.

But we will see

It's a cool feeling to grab a guy (like Linder last year) who will be a talented, dependable starter for a long time.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Dave has gotten better each round yet again. Weird pattern. Not exactly the biggest need, but very good value. Cann was comfortably the 2nd best guard to me after Laken Tomlinson (depending on Scherff's position). 

C+ to B- to A- for my way too early grades. 

Good pick. I was really thinking we would take him at 63.

Love the pick.  Safe pick, quality starter, high character.  OL will be improved and could soon be a strength. 

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 08:23 AM by Mowerguy.)

Gone are the days we pick unknown players from little known schools where players haven't been in big games....

having to adjust to the speed and noise of the NFL.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Alabama, Florida, South Carolina.....all SEC! :yes:

and all southern hometowns.

Love it! What a way to add to the fan base with quality players.

What I've been saying for years.

Love the pick here Dave.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Rush the QB---check

Protect the QB---check

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloran  now
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Cann on #Jaguars: "I thought I would have been [picked] a long time ago."

</div>
So take that MJD "tude" and make D-Lines pay for the next decade.

Finish everytime and make them "Think about it"

and wonder where to bruises came from on monday morning as they reach for the Vikes.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:Cann led guards in bench-press reps (30) and vertical jump (32½) at Combine. #Jaguars
I remember a certain DE who was the heavy lift champion the year Boselli came in the league.

After a while they stopped counting Tony's reps cause they got bored or so it's said.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Four-year starter for a quality SEC program.  

Offensive line is the most important part of the team except for QB. 

Network analysts like the pick. 

So- I approve. 

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 08:08 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Gone are the days we pick players from little known schools where players haven't been in big games....

having to adjust to the speed and noise of the NFL.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Alabama, Florida, South Carolina.....all SEC! :yes:

and all southern hometowns.

Love it! What a way to add to the fan base with quality players.

What I've been saying for years.

Love the pick here Dave.

There's a lot to be said for drafting guys from the SEC.  Most notably, it has to be a lot easier to evaluate them, because every week they are going up against other NFL prospects.   That makes them much safer picks.   I can't believe the Bucs selected an offensive lineman from Hobart while Cann was still on the board.   That makes me question the sanity of whoever is running the draft for the Bucs.  

2014 Hobart schedule:

Dickinson

Endicott

Curry

Merchant Marine

WPI

Springfield

Renssalaer

Union

St. Lawrence

Rochester

2014 South Carolina schedule:

Missouri

Clemson

Florida

Auburn

Tennessee

Miami (Florida)

you get the picture

Picking a lineman from Hobart when there is a highly rated 4 year starter in the SEC sitting on your board is just plain stupid.  

"But you should have seen him in the game against Renssalaer!  He was dominant!" 

Great point Marty..... :thumbsup:

I'm so happy to finally be drafting some of our homegrown talent.

I'm proud of the SEC and the quality of football they produce.

Not to mention the fact that all these guys have hometowns, family and friends that will support the Jaguars now.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:This pick I love and once again laugh at the smokescreen we like the group we have at the start of the offseason.

Joeckel, Can, Wisenski, Linder, Parnell with Pasturz and Bowanko backing up very nice David very nice.
Gotta admit, the O-line is looking like it will be a strength this season.  

I really like this pick.  BAP drafting not need based drafting.  This is how you raise the overall talent level of a team.  Best value pick thus far.

Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

He was also pretty dang good against St. Lawrence. LOL

Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Rotoworld wrote the following;

With promising second-year G Brandon Linder at right guard and the newly-signed Stefen Wisniewski expected to man center, Beadles looks like the weakest link in a suddenly solid interior line. A pro-ready prospect, Cann should push Beadles hard and has a shot to start. Beadles signed a five-year, $30 million deal last spring, but he has no guaranteed money left after this season

--------------------------------

Looks like the Oline went from worst in the league to at least average this year with good coaching and lack of injuries.

O line definitely can be considered average this year. Some good potential.