Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2015 Draft Luncheon

Looks like Dave pretty much shot down the notion of Fowler at 3..

Caldwell said the Jaguars wouldn't bypass an elite-level long-term player just to take a pass rusher. "We're not going to bypass a guy if he's going to be eight-to-ten-year, really good player, Pro Bowl-type for a guy that's just going to be a defensive end and get us four sacks a year,"
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Looks like Dave pretty much shot down the notion of Fowler at 3..

Caldwell said the Jaguars wouldn't bypass an elite-level long-term player just to take a pass rusher. "We're not going to bypass a guy if he's going to be eight-to-ten-year, really good player, Pro Bowl-type for a guy that's just going to be a defensive end and get us four sacks a year,"
I could see fowler be exactly that.

Decent in run support, get you 4-7 sacks/year, and nothing special. Not worth the #3 pick IMO.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 11:25 PM by fredalwaysajag.)

Quote:I could see fowler be exactly that.

Decent in run support, get you 4-7 sacks/year, and nothing special. Not worth the #3 pick IMO.
Same here. Never really understood all the hype and mocks pushing him off on us at #3.. Now Beasley on the other hand.. I can see him with his build and athleticism being a beast year in and year out- 15 sacks per season type guy, especially in our defense. Dave's comments would lead one to believe that they either really like Williams or one or two of the receivers.

A trade back seems very likely. I personally would love to see us trade back and grab Parker if they go receiver. Kinda feel like his body type and skillset would add the most to our receiving corps and benefit Blake the most with his ability to attack the ball, adjust to it and extend for it in traffic situations

Quote:Same here. Never really understood all the hype and mocks pushing him off on us at #3.. Now Beasley on the other hand.. I can see him with his build and athleticism being a beast year in and year out- 15 sacks per season type guy, especially in our defense. Dave's comments would lead one to believe that they either really like Williams or one or two of the receivers.

A trade back seems very likely. I personally would love to see us trade back and grab Parker if they go receiver. Kinda feel like his body type and skillset would add the most to our receiving corps and benefit Blake the most with his ability to attack the ball, adjust to it and extend for it in traffic situations
If we draft Beastley (which I'd love), the best thing for him his first year would be to give him around 400ish snaps max in my opinion. Keep him fresh with a lot of rotation (they do that anyways on the DL) and don't expect him to be "the man" his first year. Make sure he's always on the field in obvious passing situations, but let Clemons continue to be the starter for this season (possibly his last year with the team anyways).

Beastley has to develop some stuff, but he has everything you cannot teach. Caldwell said that now they don't necessarily have to look at their top picks as drafting somebody who has to start right now. I think Beastley fits that perfectly. Let him mainly be just a pure pass rusher his first season.

I would not be upset at a LEO rotation of Clemons, Branch, Beastley and Chris Smith for next season. Smith is always the forgotten man and I'd like to see a lot more of him this season. He flashed a number of times last season, despite only having around 90 snaps on the year. Ryan Davis can LEO also, but he's more of the inside rusher.

Quote:If we draft Beastley (which I'd love), the best thing for him his first year would be to give him around 400ish snaps max in my opinion. Keep him fresh with a lot of rotation (they do that anyways on the DL) and don't expect him to be "the man" his first year. Make sure he's always on the field in obvious passing situations, but let Clemons continue to be the starter for this season (possibly his last year with the team anyways).

Beastley has to develop some stuff, but he has everything you cannot teach. Caldwell said that now they don't necessarily have to look at their top picks as drafting somebody who has to start right now. I think Beastley fits that perfectly. Let him mainly be just a pure pass rusher his first season.

I would not be upset at a LEO rotation of Clemons, Branch, Beastley and Chris Smith for next season. Smith is always the forgotten man and I'd like to see a lot more of him this season. He flashed a number of times last season, despite only having around 90 snaps on the year. Ryan Davis can LEO also, but he's more of the inside rusher.

Right. And though there is only 1 Leonard Williams, we have enough talent and girth along the line to still allow Beasley lanes to the QB.

I wonder if his run defense is gonna be better than expected/projected to be, for no matter what team he's with. I can remember a D-End from Clemson drafted about 3years ago in the 2nd rd, who had a knock on him that his run defense was suspect

Quote:That doesn't mean they haven't talked to other teams.

It means they didn't receive any calls.

They may have placed some calls to some teams.

It doesn't mean they won't get any calls, either.
Caldwell addresses the call issue here.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...81f522deaf

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

It's all a smokescreen, Dave created a veil that can not be pierced. 

Quote:@GeneFrenette: GM Caldwell says he feels a good RB can be found as late as "4th or 5th round" in this draft. #Jaguars

Been saying this for months.  Obviously if the right guy falls to round two - they'll consider him, but....  This ^ just makes too much sense. 

If we trade with Cleveland, I see us picking Gurley and Perriman

Quote:If we trade with Cleveland, I see us picking Gurley and Perriman

This would be incredible and id be all for it. Both are slight reaches but I don't even care they'd help this team so much.

Id also love Gregory/Gurley or Gurley/Ray

I'm ok with Todd. I'm a Gurley man myself.

Quote:He said all the quarterbacks needed seasoning, but Manziel was most pro-ready.
Given the advantage of hindsight, I wonder how he'd grade his own analysis today?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Given the advantage of hindsight, I wonder how he'd grade his own analysis today?

I don't think people completely understood what Caldwell meant by that quote.  For reference, here's the exact quote:

"Johnny [Manziel] would probably be the one guy you could plug in there sooner rather than later just because his style of play isn't going to change much from year one to year two," Caldwell said.

He's not saying that Manziel was the most ready to play a pro style offense.  His point, at least to me, was that what you see with Manziel is what you get.  He's going to play the same as he always has, and for that reason you can play him right away.  I'd say he probably still feels pretty good about that assessment.

Article - http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/3/567...-nfl-draft

Quote:I don't think people completely understood what Caldwell meant by that quote.  For reference, here's the exact quote:

"Johnny [Manziel] would probably be the one guy you could plug in there sooner rather than later just because his style of play isn't going to change much from year one to year two," Caldwell said.

He's not saying that Manziel was the most ready to play a pro style offense.  His point, at least to me, was that what you see with Manziel is what you get.  He's going to play the same as he always has, and for that reason you can play him right away.  I'd say he probably still feels pretty good about that assessment.

Article - http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/3/567...-nfl-draft
Yep.  ^  

Quote:This would be incredible and id be all for it. Both are slight reaches but I don't even care they'd help this team so much.

Id also love Gregory/Gurley or Gurley/Ray
What better way to help Blake than by giving him his number one receiver in college to grow with

Quote:If we trade with Cleveland, I see us picking Gurley and Perriman

I wouldn't mind this.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:What better way to help Blake than by giving him his number one receiver in college to grow with
iirc, his other receiver got more targets than perriman.

Quote:iirc, his other receiver got more targets than perriman.
Ok, well at least he'll be a receiver he's comfortable with

Quote:I don't think people completely understood what Caldwell meant by that quote. For reference, here's the exact quote:

He's not saying that Manziel was the most ready to play a pro style offense. His point, at least to me, was that what you see with Manziel is what you get. He's going to play the same as he always has, and for that reason you can play him right away. I'd say he probably still feels pretty good about that assessment.

Article - <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/3/5679118/johnny-manziel-jaguars-dave-caldwell-2014-nfl-draft'>http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/3/5679118/johnny-manziel-jaguars-dave-caldwell-2014-nfl-draft</a>

AGREED.
Shock the world

Well gee another thread with people overrating Beasley and underrating Fowler. I sure hope it's Williams,Fowler or Cooper. Is it Thursday yet lol