Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL hires Sarah Thomas as its first female official

NFL is turning into a joke. What a bunch of losers.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:NFL is turning into a joke. What a bunch of losers.

Yeah for real. What's next, is amurica going to let women vote?

Sarah Thomas has been on track to become an NFL referee for a while now.  In fact some thought she would get the job in 2014 back in 2013 (so much for this being a response to the domestic violence thing.  Sorry to disappoint those who think otherwise)  She has in fact worked with the Indianapolis Colts minicamp, as well as worked Saints scrimmages.  

Here's an article from June 15th, 2013 (almost 8 months before the Ray Rice incident)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...al-by-2014

The NFL has had a female official before -- back when we had replacement refs.  I'm sure she's qualified, but if you want to question her qualifications because of her gender, go ahead and feel free to do so.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://postimg.org/image/5ebrkyyf1/'>[Image: FB_IMG_1428072698052.jpg]</a>
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Yeah for real. What's next, is amurica going to let women vote?

PR stunt from the Ray Rice situation, sorry I wasn't clear enough Mr. Antagonize.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:PR stunt from the Ray Rice situation, sorry I wasn't clear enough Mr. Antagonize.

What information do you have suggesting Sarah Thomas is not qualified?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015, 08:06 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:What information do you have suggesting Sarah Thomas is not qualified?

She is a woman duh!

Quote:She is a woman duh!

It's refereeman, not refereeLADY!

And that is a scientific fact!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:It's refereeman, not refereeLADY!

And that is a scientific fact!

Right and how do you expect her to run down the field with boobs?!?!?

Quote:Right and how do you expect her to run down the field with boobs?!?!?

Have you ever gone to a pop warner or high school game?  If men can do it, so can women!

Quote:PR stunt from the Ray Rice situation, sorry I wasn't clear enough Mr. Antagonize.

You have to admit, yours was a joke without a punch line.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

lol. I think having females ref is a good idea..

I hope she does well.

We had a similar story with soccer a few years ago when women started becoming appointed as assistant refs and then refs. At first there was the same reaction from some people, but now they're hardly even noticed - they're just refs. Ok, there's still some banter from the crowd, but no serious questioning of their ability. I think the same thing will happen with football.

The only danger for me is if the NFL gets too heavy handed in publicising this. That could turn people against her. Best thing to do now is just let her work.

I knew after reading Judy Battista's analysis I need to join the discussion. So much for planning to stay away from the board until April 29.

First of all, Dean Blandino deserves a lot of praise for hiring a female line judge. It could not have been an easy decision for him because there are several issues - for example, he mentioned her need for a separate dressing room. Also, way too many fans still think women don't know football and don't belong on a field with about 30 guys unless they are oin the medical staff. They are wrong on both counts and Blandino obviously knows that.

People need to remember the NBA did it years ago, hiring two female referees the same year IIRC. I know football is different, but that means the NFL has a precedent. How did it turn out on basketball courts?

The stuff about how players will react to having a woman on the field reminds me of Michael Sam coming out of the closet. An issue with him was the behavior of straight guys toward an openly gay player. This is the same kind of issue and it's a real concern. But I am not worried about that in this case because if a player says something nasty to her, she can throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, and nobody wants to lose 15 yards by talking to the line judge.

About being given different standards: That is baloney. She went through the same physical exam and development program everyone else did. Her resume includes high school and Conference USA games. She was scouted the same way. I have no idea what the NFL could have done differently. It is illegal to treat men and women differently in the workplace and the NFL knows that. However, Gerry Austin, her supervisor at CUSA, recommended tucking hair under her cap so she will not be too noticeable.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is pregnancy. That would keep her off the field for a whole season, forcing the NFL to find a subsitute line judge. So I hope she takes birth control pills.

Quote:One thing nobody has mentioned yet is pregnancy. That would keep her off the field for a whole season, forcing the NFL to find a subsitute line judge. So I hope she takes birth control pills.
Wow. Anyone at the NFL who said that to her would have their butt sued off instantly lol

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I read that she's in her 40's, so pregnancy is probably not high on the list of concerns.

Quote:Wow. Anyone at the NFL who said that to her would have their butt sued off instantly lol

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I read that she's in her 40's, so pregnancy is probably not high on the list of concerns.

I did not mean somebody in the NFL was supposed to tell her that.

It would have been nice if her age was mentioned in the article. She looks too young to already be past menopause.

I'm pretty sure pregnancy was low on the list of worries with a female ref. Plus, she could easily still referee for the early months of a pregnancy
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I'm pretty sure pregnancy was low on the list of worries with a female ref. Plus, she could easily still referee for the early months of a pregnancy

I am sure it is. All I am saying is unless Sarah Thomas is much older than she looks in pictures, it can happen.

Quote:I am sure it is. All I am saying is unless Sarah Thomas is much older than she looks in pictures, it can happen.
And this is a concern for you why exactly?  Any ref can have health issues.  They can't discriminate because she might get pregnant.  You understand that, right?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Wow. Anyone at the NFL who said that to her would have their butt sued off instantly lol

But....menopause! 

She can't call Chicago games apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfboOt1bJcA

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]