Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jaguars are set to make history in the NFL draft

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015, 11:03 AM by Catfanatic1979v1.)

The metropolitan area surrounding Jacksonville makes the region one of the most populated in the US, or so I thought. I've been told many times our cities population is deceptive (although still not as small as some other NFL teams cities) and that when you view the surrounding area, you catch onto the idea of us being quite a big deal.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM by Catfanatic1979v1.)

Ok, after looking it up on Wiki, Jacksonville is the 13th largest city in the US with over 800,000 people in it. Over 1.3 million when you consider the metro area. Whats up with all this small market [BAD WORD REMOVED]? Its the largest city in Florida, so bigger than Tampa Bay and Miami who don't get the "small market" tag tossed at them as often as we do. WTH?

Quote:Ok, after looking it up on Wiki, Jacksonville is the 13th largest city in the US with over 800,000 people in it. Over 1.3 million when you consider the metro area. Whats up with all this small market [BAD WORD REMOVED]? Its the largest city in Florida, so bigger than Tampa Bay and Miami who don't get the "small market" tag tossed at them as often as we do. WTH?

The 1.3 mill figure makes the Jax metro area the 40th largest nationally.  You'll find that it ranks similarly (a little lower)  in terms of median income - so it's those figures that present the challenge and deem it a "small market."  

Regardless  - this market has shown that it can support this franchise and I expect that to only get better with wins and the Khan/Lamping plans and marketing. 

I'll be doing my part in 2015 as I'm officially moving home to Duval in September

Quote:The 1.3 mill figure makes the Jax metro area the 40th largest nationally.  You'll find that it ranks similarly (a little lower)  in terms of median income - so it's those figures that present the challenge and deem it a "small market."  

Regardless  - this market has shown that it can support this franchise and I expect that to only get better with wins and the Khan/Lamping plans and marketing. 

I'll be doing my part in 2015 as I'm officially moving home to Duval in September
So basically I had it reversed. We are quite big as a city but quite small as a metro area.

This thread belongs in the "college" section.

Quote:YES!!  I thought so.  I (and my Welsh bloodline) love this stuff. ^  

I follow the WRU rugby squad in the six nations tournament each year. A handful of bars here in NYC air the matches.  

Have you been to a  match at Millennium Stadium?  Any Rugby World Cup plans?

Yeah we stumbled on a Welsh themed bar in NYC a few years back on a previous visit - quite surreal to see as not as many people seem aware of their welsh heritage as some other cultures. Been to the Millennium for all kinds of events, but the atmosphere for the rugby really gets the hairs on your neck stood on end! There were rumbles of there possibly being a NFL game there a few years back (one of the few big stadiums in the UK with long enough fields to accommodate the game) but Wembley has the extra capacity and is based somewhere most Americans have actually heard of!

Regarding this competition, it's just the Jags maximising the opportunity they have for exclusive marketing rights during this portion of the Wembley deal. Who knows, if they extend the agreement to play games here they may not get such benefits in the UK market and other teams will be able to take advantage of the TV/newspaper/website space. That was a huge thing when the deal was signed, no other teams were allowed to really get out there and sell themselves to the London and wider UK market and Jaguars UK have really taken advantage. They've had draft parties, taken over shopping centres, been doing tons of outreach at schools and big sporting events, we have cars sponsored by Land Rover done out in Jaguars decals driving around the country. It all fits in with what Shad and Mark Lamping have been saying about growing a fan base in the UK.

Quote:Wouldn't it be tempting to announce someone other than the name on the card ?!
Smile
. I sure which I would have been announcing the jaguars 3rd rd pick in 2012. I sure wouldn't have announced a freakin punter lol

Quote:Yes. The location of the announcement of those late round picks carries so much cache.
Yes. It's like asking to get flamed.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Yeah we stumbled on a Welsh themed bar in NYC a few years back on a previous visit - quite surreal to see as not as many people seem aware of their welsh heritage as some other cultures. Been to the Millennium for all kinds of events, but the atmosphere for the rugby really gets the hairs on your neck stood on end! There were rumbles of there possibly being a NFL game there a few years back (one of the few big stadiums in the UK with long enough fields to accommodate the game) but Wembley has the extra capacity and is based somewhere most Americans have actually heard of!

Regarding this competition, it's just the Jags maximising the opportunity they have for exclusive marketing rights during this portion of the Wembley deal. Who knows, if they extend the agreement to play games here they may not get such benefits in the UK market and other teams will be able to take advantage of the TV/newspaper/website space. That was a huge thing when the deal was signed, no other teams were allowed to really get out there and sell themselves to the London and wider UK market and Jaguars UK have really taken advantage. They've had draft parties, taken over shopping centres, been doing tons of outreach at schools and big sporting events, we have cars sponsored by Land Rover done out in Jaguars decals driving around the country. It all fits in with what Shad and Mark Lamping have been saying about growing a fan base in the UK.

Having seen my mighty birmingham City win at both new wembley and millenium I have to say in my opinion the millenium is the better stadium, the place just oozes atmosphere, even though I was there when wembley had the loudest atmosphere ever for a live match (Birmingham

Vs Arsenal) Smile

Quote:. I sure which I would have been announcing the jaguars 3rd rd pick in 2012. I sure wouldn't have announced a freakin punter lol

Your card would have showed Bryan Anger but when you got up to the podium, you would have stated "Russell Wilson" --- I like it !!

Quote:The metropolitan area surrounding Jacksonville makes the region one of the most populated in the US, or so I thought. I've been told many times our cities population is deceptive (although still not as small as some other NFL teams cities) and that when you view the surrounding area, you catch onto the idea of us being quite a big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_area

The "metro" area population of Miami and Tampa are significantly bigger than Jacksonville.  Both are over 5 million in population.

Jacksonville may be 842,000 in population but that covers 847 square miles.   When you take 800 square miles of miami, ft lauderdale, and wpb you get 5 million people.  you can do the same for the tampa, st pete area.

Quote:Your card would have showed Bryan Anger but when you got up to the podium, you would have stated "Russell Wilson" --- I like it !!
The fate of the Jaguars would have been forever changed.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_area'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_area</a>

The "metro" area population of Miami and Tampa are significantly bigger than Jacksonville. Both are over 5 million in population.

Jacksonville may be 842,000 in population but that covers 847 square miles. When you take 800 square miles of miami, ft lauderdale, and wpb you get 5 million people. you can do the same for the tampa, st pete area.

You're correct on Miami's numbers but where are you getting Jacksonville's numbers from? I'm showing over 1 million.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida'>http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:You're correct on Miami's numbers but where are you getting Jacksonville's numbers from? I'm showing over 1 million.<a class="bbc_url" href='http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida'>http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida</a>

Your link has the 800,000+ number in it. I've always understood we were under 1M in CITY LIMiTS (the city being as big as a lot of other places metro areas). With Jvilles metro area we are above 1M.

Demographics are in our probably in our favor although we have yet to experience a recent population explosion like a lot of FL areas.

Will the team be called the London Jaguars or will they change the name to Monarchs or Queens or something like that?

Quote:Wouldn't it be tempting to announce someone other than the name on the card ?!
Smile
:whistling: thinking the same thing myself.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Will the team be called the London Jaguars or will they change the name to Monarchs or Queens or something like that?

Royals