Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2007-2011 Drafts

Quote:Bingo. BAP vs. Need is a mirage. If you can't scout, then none of it matters.

Me personally, I like the saying "I don't care how you do it, just get it right." Hire the right people and let them do their job.

I still don't understand how he made it all the way to GM of an NFL team when he so clearly was incapable of evaluating which player is superior between JJ Watt and Blaine Gabbert.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If you take the 2012 draft that means from 2007-2012 we only drafted 1 current starter, and its the freaking punter (you my boy Anger).

Well, that pick is not looking so bad after all. Had he a drafted a player at any other position, they wouldn't be a starter or on the roster either.

Quote:I still don't understand how he made it all the way to GM of an NFL team when he so clearly was incapable of evaluating which player is superior between JJ Watt and Blaine Gabbert.

Ugh! So bad.

Quote:I still don't understand how he made it all the way to GM of an NFL team when he so clearly was incapable of evaluating which player is superior between JJ Watt and Blaine Gabbert.
Alualu over JPP

Is it illegal to urinate on someone's grave when they pass?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2015, 06:21 AM by Bon Jagley.)

A mystery.

Everything about the guy was bad. His name, his hair. A total screw up.

Millen is treated as the gold standard of the modern awful NFL GM. Ol' Mean Gene is right next to him. Nearly killed a franchise.

;

;

[Image: 820517952.jpg]

;

;

Quote:...

Millen is treated as the gold standard of the modern awful NFL GM. Ol' screw up Gene is right next to him. Nearly killed a franchise.

I'm convinced that if Wayne Weaver was still the owner of this team, Gene WOULD HAVE killed this franchise.

If not for Kahn and him injecting some life into this organization, football in Jacksonville would most likely be dead.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I'm convinced that if Wayne Weaver was still the owner of this team, Gene WOULD HAVE killed this franchise.

If not for Kahn and him injecting some life into this organization, football in Jacksonville would most likely be dead.

Kind of scary to think about but glad it is in the past

This is why franchises win less than 5 games a season year after year. I think Caldwell has done well, some questionable moves, but night and day compared to Smith. Makes me want to vomit how stupid this guy was, and how smart he thought he was trying to get all these diamonds in the rough.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:It wasn't just bad drafting. Several of those guys are still playing. Nelson, Durant, Knighton, and Monroe are starters, with all but Durant being better than the Jags current starters at those positions.

Definitely not just bad drafting.  Bad coaching too..  and bad player acquisitions.  We could still use Nelson, Knighton, and Monroe.  Daryl Smith too.

Nevertheless, Smith's drafting was terrible as well.  Some good talents, but bad characters, that ended up dragging the whole team down.  It was Smith and Del Rio primarily that destroyed the franchise.  And I'd say Del Rio started out okay, but those last few years are what really did us in.  He let every category go down the drain. Weaver's only real contribution was being too loyal to his 'teammates' at GM and HC.  Weaver was a great guy, just not a great owner.

We still have a long way to go.  More than any other thing I can think of, we need a GREAT football mind in here.  My view is we lost to the chalkboard last year more than any other thing.  We were just too predictable on Defense at critical moments.  Seems like we fell for every feint every team threw at us.  Fisch's playcalls were a huge contributor as well.

Well we're not done yet in seeing if the changes DC and Gus have paid off just yet so I wouldn't compare the 2 yet. Gene was supposedly good at scouting but was put in a role that wasn't suited for him. 

Agreed but i wouldnt act like everyone was screaming to grab watt... At the time, Gabbert was a popular pick and iirc was even considered by carolina at 1st overall at one point....hindsight is 20/20

Quote:Agreed but i wouldnt act like everyone was screaming to grab watt... At the time, Gabbert was a popular pick and iirc was even considered by carolina at 1st overall at one point....hindsight is 20/20

I am guessing if you went back to draft night that Gabbert was the "Best Available Player" on most boards of draft "experts".

I remember reading that Gene had Gabbert rated as the #2 overall prospect that draft.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I was vehemently against the Gabbert pick. I always thought he looked like a fifth round pick. I didn't know just being big, tall, with a big arm was all you needed to get drafted. What really made me start losing faith in gene in the 2011 draft when we had 4 picks total and all of them were small school defensive line men. None of them could play lol. Gabbert was just the icing on the cake for me. 

You could never really see what Gene was trying to do. At least I can make reason of what Caldwell is doing. Gene really destroyed this roster. The fact that Caldwell has it where it is right now is a pretty remarkable job. 

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2015, 05:25 PM by Predator_NFLFans.)

So many fails under Gene.

Signing Jason Hill to be your #1 WR. Jerry Porter. Torry Holt. Alualu in the top ten. Gabbert over Watt, or anybody for that matter. Atleast he didn't take Locker! Anger over Russell Wilson.

His best picks were Monroe and Blackmon. Monroe is/was a solid player, and at the time, Blackmon was considered a top 5-10 player in that draft. However, giving up all those picks in trade ups for guys like Cox, Gabbert, and Blackmon, and not hitting on any of the picks he did have, plus all the poor free agent signings, sans Poz, killed this franchise.

We did have a great choir though.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Agreed but i wouldnt act like everyone was screaming to grab watt... At the time, Gabbert was a popular pick and iirc was even considered by carolina at 1st overall at one point....hindsight is 20/20
I supported the pick because I'm a homer, but was worried about any qb coming out of that Mizzou system. And Gabbert didn't even put up Chase Daniels numbers, either.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Atleast he didn't take Locker!

More importantly, he didnt take timmy... May have been the best move he made, or didnt make.

Quote:More importantly, he didnt take timmy... May have been the best move he made, or didnt make.

I'm sure it was only because Timmy went to a big school.

Had he gone to a smaller school, hmmmmm, The temptation might have been too much for Gene to resist.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.