Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jake Locker Retires

Gabbert outlasted him.  Amazing.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is a shocker to say the least...

Didn't he have a lot of injuries?  Probably the best move for him.  

We have yet to see if Gabbs will get picked up by anybody. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Somebody explain to me why he retires exactly as FA begins.  It can't just be a coincidence.

Wow, he's only 26.

I know he's been injured a lot, but still, a backup QB gig pays a lot of money these days.

I guess he just lost the desire to play football.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

As much as I hate the tacks...I actually thought Locker seemed like a cool guy.

He's got a bad throwing shoulder, a death sentence for QBs. He probably can't pass the physical.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Between him, Gabbs, and Ponder.....it was a BAD year for first round QBs

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

At times when Jake Locker was relatively healthy,  it looked like he was turning the corner.   There's no question that injuries led to his retirement.   I think he's making a good decision.   At the very least,  Locker should let his body rest/  recover for a year and then if he has desire to play again,  reassess the situation.

Quote:Between him, Gabbs, and Ponder.....it was a BAD year for first round QBs

Right now,  Gabbs is the only one of the 3 under contract. 

Quote:Right now,  Gabbs is the only one of the 3 under contract. 

Maybe we should have asked for more than a 6th rounder.  :teehee:

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Quote:At times when Jake Locker was relatively healthy,  it looked like he was turning the corner.   There's no question that injuries led to his retirement.   I think he's making a good decision.   At the very least,  Locker should let his body rest/  recover for a year and then if he has desire to play again,  reassess the situation.

I never saw that. He always looked to me like he was the second coming of Chad Henne. I guess if there is any cold comfort about Gabbert, it's that at least the titans suffered the same thing from the same draft.

Quote:Maybe we should have asked for more than a 6th rounder.  :teehee:

I think Dave Caldwell was in such shock that the 49ers would give up a 6th round pick that he couldn't even say the words,  how about a 5th rounder.   :teehee:

Quote:I never saw that. He always looked to me like he was the second coming of Chad Henne. I guess if there is any cold comfort about Gabbert, it's that at least the titans suffered the same thing from the same draft.

Chad Henne even had some ( not enough ) moments with the Dolphins in which it looked like he could be what the Fish hoped for when they drafted him in the 2nd Round nearly 8 years ago.   But I thought that Jake Locker displayed an even greater upside.   The Tennessee 44-41 OT win over the Lions in the early part of the 2012 season comes to mind.   The Tennessee win over the Jets in 2013 as well.     The season ending injury he suffered in 2013 is something that ended all of the positive momentum with his career.    That might have led to a coaching change,  which set the stage for Locker to be replaced as the starter in 2014.  

Quote: Chad Henne even had some ( not enough ) moments with the Dolphins in which it looked like he could be what the Fish hoped for when they drafted him in the 2nd Round nearly 8 years ago.   But I thought that Jake Locker displayed an even greater upside.   The Tennessee 44-41 OT win over the Lions in the early part of the 2012 season comes to mind.   The Tennessee win over the Jets in 2013 as well.     The season ending injury he suffered in 2013 is something that ended all of the positive momentum with his career.    That might have led to a coaching change,  which set the stage for Locker to be replaced as the starter in 2014.  

That 44-41 win over the lions was the Locker equivalent of Gabbert's overtime loss to the Vikings. It sort of looked like there was something there, but it turned out there wasn't.

Quote:That 44-41 win over the lions was the Locker equivalent of Gabbert's overtime loss to the Vikings. It sort of looked like there was something there, but it turned out there wasn't.

One thing that jumped out for me that day from a Lions fan perspective was the Lions couldn't generate a pass rush.   On the other hand,  when doing my fan preparation for that game,  I recall Jake Locker being under plenty of pressure in Tennessee's first 2 games that season.   I thought because he had much more time against the Lions,   that might have been an indicator that Locker had good potential if his supporting cast held up their end of the bargain more frequently.  

Then when watching Locker against the Jets in 2013,   once again I saw a QB who looked and played the part.   We may never know for sure but a case can be made that Locker's career would have turned out much better if he was able to stay relatively healthy and played with a better supporting cast.  

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM by DewtheMathis.)

maybe he will try his luck at baseball?

[Image: temp_2JR3503-nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg]