Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official Free Agency Twitter and rumors thread***

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...falo-bills

Clay signs with Bills - 5 yr/ 38mil  -  phins can match

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills</a>

Clay signs with Bills - 5 yr/ 38mil - phins can match
now Bills just need a qb. I think I would take Petty in the 2nd if I were the Bills

Quote:now Bills just need a qb. I think I would take Petty in the 2nd if I were the Bills

I could see them doing that.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015, 12:06 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills</a>

Clay signs with Bills - 5 yr/ 38mil - phins can match
20 million guaranteed. That's just slightly under what we paid for Julius Thomas.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/bills-sign-charles-clay-offer-sheet'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/bills-sign-charles-clay-offer-sheet</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:20 million guaranteed. That's just slightly under what we paid for Julius Thomas.

And it's 24.5 mil in the first two years, a few mil higher than Thomas will make. 

Looks like we got a good deal.  I think the Bills had to overpay even for free agency standards to make sure Miami doesn't match.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Looks like we got a good deal.  I think the Bills had to overpay even for free agency standards to make sure Miami doesn't match.

Of course they did. That was the problem that I had with the Gipson talk. Not only would we need to overpay seriously to force Cleveland not to match (which they have tons of cap space to burn, unlike Miami), we'd also give up a 2nd rounder if they chose not to match. I'm glad Dave didn't pursue that angle.

Yeah the Gipson thing shouldn't have even been entertained as a possibility.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Yeah the Gipson thing shouldn't have even been entertained as a possibility.
IDK. There is no quality FS this year draft hat is ET level and it doesn't appear that player will appear in next years draft. That's 2 years without the most important piece on the defense. 

We may can upgrade the position with a Prewitt but Gipson was the next best plan to get a FS. At least it wouldn't be our 1st being traded. A second and a solid 7 million for 5 year salary would have been fine with me. Possible a Maxwell 6 45 million year contract since he is 24. This would be another swing at an young elite talent. We got Thomas. We might get him too.  

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...falo-bills

Clay signs with Bills - 5 yr/ 38mil  -  phins can match
Fins not likely to match with the signing of TE Jordan Cameron from the Cleveland Browns.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Fins not likely to match with the signing of TE Jordan Cameron from the Cleveland Browns. 
A contract of that level could decimate the dolphins remaining talent pool and salary for their future if it is some type of back loaded control. They have to think about re-signing Tannehill. 

Quote:IDK. There is no quality FS this year draft hat is ET level and it doesn't appear that player will appear in next years draft. That's 2 years without the most important piece on the defense.

We may can upgrade the position with a Prewitt but Gipson was the next best plan to get a FS. At least it wouldn't be our 1st being traded. A second and a solid 7 million for 5 year salary would have been fine with me. Possible a Maxwell 6 45 million year contract since he is 24. This would be another swing at an young elite talent. We got Thomas. We might get him too.

Good players are found all over the draft. Just because right now it doesn't appear to be the case, doesn't mean it won't.

Secondly, it's not like FS is the last missing piece of our puzzle to the playoffs. Let our young guys develop, move Gratz there or something, draft another in a later round (maybe a project cb that you train at FS)... But giving up a 2nd and a huge salary for him is crazy IMO. He's not Earl Thomas.

Gipson was Undrafted in 2012.

Someone picked him up and coached him up in the right system and he is doing well. It's not crazy for us to try that as well.

Good players will be available. I don't buy the "there are no good free safeties in the next 2 drafts" argument.

Trading your next years #2 for Gipson is a Gene Smith type of move.

Gipson isn't elite. Does he even play the single high FS role like earl Thomas?

To that note, McCray wasn't even the first CB we drafted in the 7th round that year. You find guys and groom them more often than striking draft day gold.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Good players are found all over the draft. Just because right now it doesn't appear to be the case, doesn't mean it won't.

Secondly, it's not like FS is the last missing piece of our puzzle to the playoffs. Let our young guys develop, move Gratz there or something, draft another in a later round (maybe a project cb that you train at FS)... But giving up a 2nd and a huge salary for him is crazy IMO. He's not Earl Thomas.

Gipson was Undrafted in 2012.

Someone picked him up and coached him up in the right system and he is doing well. It's not crazy for us to try that as well.

Good players will be available. I don't buy the "there are no good free safeties in the next 2 drafts" argument.

Trading your next years #2 for Gipson is a Gene Smith type of move.

Gipson isn't elite. Does he even play the single high FS role like earl Thomas?
It is very easy to you have not seen this guy play or even tried to look up something about this guy. 6 picks and 52 tackls, 1 td, 8 passes defensed. 2014 pro bowl node (even on the browns) and led the AFC in interception for 2013 and 2014. They had 3/4 of their secondary in the pro bowl

The browns play a lot of man defense and allow him to roam around in an Ed Reed role.  Not quite so systematic like Earl Thomas but more of a rangy and go make a random play. 

The browns were also 9th in points given up and 8th in pass defense. This guy is a big reason for that. 

A second and a contract worth less than the 2 highest paid players at the position is fine with me. 

If we don't get him their is no love lost, but it would be another play for one of the better players in the league. 

I guess no one here watched him eat Blake alive or realized the Browns pass defense was real good last year. 

Quote:To that note, McCray wasn't even the first CB we drafted in the 7th round that year. You find guys and groom them more often than striking draft day gold.
I understand you can groom you own guy but we have not groomed anyone on this guys level yet. A second and a contract is not much at all. If a FS is there in the 2 second you would draft him. We also have the cap space for this type of move. They could also structure the contract as team friendly as they do now. 

Seems rather quiet for the Jags the past week or so.

Still need a vet WR. Been checking twitter and thats quiet too. I know Dave said he wanted to wait a little bit and see who gets released but I need something lol

Good thing March Madness starts tomorrow and soon hockey playoffs. 

It's been relatively quiet league-wide, not just here in Jacksonville.  That will more than likely remain the case through the veteran combine and the league meetings. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I understand you can groom you own guy but we have not groomed anyone on this guys level yet. A second and a contract is not much at all. If a FS is there in the 2 second you would draft him. We also have the cap space for this type of move. They could also structure the contract as team friendly as they do now.

I tend to agree here. If Gipson was there in the second of course we'd draft him. What's the difference of offering the pick?

I understand the "someone may fall to the second' logic, but I lean more to the other side.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

One of the most valuable parts of having a draft pick playing for you is that he is also affordable and gives you a lot more flexibility.  In 2 years, if the 2nd rounder isn't panning out, it's not the end of the world if you move on.

For me, it's two-fold:

You're giving away a 2nd round pick, and you are helping another AFC team by giving them a 2nd round pick.

Don't help other teams, ever, in their rebuild (or build) process.  You should accumulate picks, not trade them away, that's historically been shown not to work very well.

I personally think Sergio Brown can "hold down the fort"... I also think SS is just as much of a need/liability, but everyone seems to just ignore that.

It's just too risky.  Giving anybody a big deal is risky.  If he fails, you lost a lot of money and cap space.

What if Gipson fails?  You just gave him a bunch of money AND a 2nd round pick?  Moves like that backfire and are too risky IMO.

I wouldn't pull the trigger. 

Dave Caldwell has drafted well thus far.  A 2nd round pick this year will also probably be a sure starter.