Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of the Franchise: From the View of the Fans

Quote:And Shaq wouldn't have been an NBA player if he was 6ft....

Height is certainly more important when it comes to playing center in the nba. Comparing apples and oranges.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Can't believe that almost everyone seems to miss the point about the State of the Franchise press conference.  It's about the financial state of the franchise.  The on the field product is only tangentially related to that although it's important.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Can't believe that almost everyone seems to miss the point about the State of the Franchise press conference.  It's about the financial state of the franchise.  The on the field product is only tangentially related to that although it's important.

This fact isn't lost on anyone. The point is that while there were a ton of positive vibes today, on-field performance is the one thing that can create long term sustainability. This franchise needs a better history. It needs to garner respect.

Quote:This fact isn't lost on anyone. The point is that while there were a ton of positive vibes today, on-field performance is the one thing that can create long term sustainability. This franchise needs a better history. It needs to garner respect.

Well that's good because all the comments have been about the on the field performance.  That is part of it sure, but it's not the main thrust of the press conference.  Not even a mention of the shipyard proposal!  LOL

Quote:This franchise needs a better history. It needs to garner respect.

[Image: Facepalm_Black_Tile_7_1024x1024.jpg]

Quote:Can't believe that almost everyone seems to miss the point about the State of the Franchise press conference.  It's about the financial state of the franchise.  The on the field product is only tangentially related to that although it's important.
People seem to think the owner is going to suddenly turn into Daniel Snyder and start talking about how he's going to get hands-on the football operations and fix things. 

The State of the Franchise even today was all about the area that Khan has said all along will be his focus.  He is very hands-on with the BUSINESS of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and in a larger sense, the business of helping to grow this market.  This presser was never about the product on the field, although it was mentioned on more than one occasion that as the product on the field improves, so will many of the metrics that they were putting up there to give the fans and everyone else a sense for the overall health of the business of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

If people want to hear about the football side, listen to any press event with Caldwell or Bradley. 

You won't hear them talking about the efforts to grow the fan base. 

You won't hear them talking about the logistics of continuing to play 1 game a year in London to help the franchise bottom line. 

You won't hear them talking about the naming rights for the club areas.

You won't hear them talking about the shipyards project in any meaningful way.

You won't hear them talking about any of the things that were presented during the event today, just as you wouldn't hear this owner talking about what their strategy will be in free agency or the draft in any real detail. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:This fact isn't lost on anyone. The point is that while there were a ton of positive vibes today, on-field performance is the one thing that can create long term sustainability. This franchise needs a better history. It needs to garner respect.
The franchise just celebrated their 20th anniversary on the field this past season, and 21 years as a franchise back in November. 

Feel free to take a look at the history of storied franchises like the Steelers 20 years in.  I wonder if their fan base had deep thinkers running around saying they needed a better history? 

The history of this franchise is what it is, and there is much good and much bad over the past 2 decades, just as there is good and bad for EVERY franchise in the NFL.

This franchise has seen success, and will see it again.  If you're incapable of recognizing this, I'm sure there's a team out there loaded with bandwagon fans who will only support them while they're winning.  Feel free to jump on. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:People seem to think the owner is going to suddenly turn into Daniel Snyder and start talking about how he's going to get hands-on the football operations and fix things. 

The State of the Franchise even today was all about the area that Khan has said all along will be his focus.  He is very hands-on with the BUSINESS of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and in a larger sense, the business of helping to grow this market.  This presser was never about the product on the field, although it was mentioned on more than one occasion that as the product on the field improves, so will many of the metrics that they were putting up there to give the fans and everyone else a sense for the overall health of the business of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

If people want to hear about the football side, listen to any press event with Caldwell or Bradley. 

You won't hear them talking about the efforts to grow the fan base. 

You won't hear them talking about the logistics of continuing to play 1 game a year in London to help the franchise bottom line. 

You won't hear them talking about the naming rights for the club areas.

You won't hear them talking about the shipyards project in any meaningful way.

You won't hear them talking about any of the things that were presented during the event today, just as you wouldn't hear this owner talking about what their strategy will be in free agency or the draft in any real detail. 

And I am so happy that we *don't* have that kind of owner.  He is smart enough to leave the football side up to the football people and that his best thing is paying attention to the business side of making this franchise relevant for the long term.  As fans we get caught up in the wins and losses and who is coaching and who is starting and while that's important in the bigger sense, keeping the Jaguars relevant from a business standpoint is the critical piece of the equation.  Glad there are others that understand that!  Smile

Nobody read the title talking that shipyard crap. Obviously the only people who give a damn about what's going on in Jacksonville is the people who live in it, and us other fans don't care. The front office don't wanna talk about the on field too much because it's really nothing to talk about. Wouldn't be shocked if Khan's next presser is about him proposing a Jaguars' space station up there somewhere while the team goes 5-11 next season. 

Quote:Nobody read the title talking that shipyard crap. Obviously the only people who give a damn about what's going on in Jacksonville is the people who live in it, and us other fans don't care. The front office don't wanna talk about the on field too much because it's really nothing to talk about. Wouldn't be shocked if Khan's next presser is about him proposing a Jaguars' space station up there somewhere while the team goes 5-11 next season. 

(crickets)

Quote:The franchise just celebrated their 20th anniversary on the field this past season, and 21 years as a franchise back in November.

Feel free to take a look at the history of storied franchises like the Steelers 20 years in. I wonder if their fan base had deep thinkers running around saying they needed a better history?

The history of this franchise is what it is, and there is much good and much bad over the past 2 decades, just as there is good and bad for EVERY franchise in the NFL.

This franchise has seen success, and will see it again. If you're incapable of recognizing this, I'm sure there's a team out there loaded with bandwagon fans who will only support them while they're winning. Feel free to jump on.

There you go talking about bandwagoners again, the minute someone gets critical of the regime.

That said, there has been more failure than success to this point in the team's history. JDR had 2 good seasons, but it's been a lot of disappointment in the last 11/12 years otherwise.

Quote:There you go talking about bandwagoners again, the minute someone gets critical of the regime.

That said, there has been more failure than success to this point in the team's history. JDR had 2 good seasons, but it's been a lot of disappointment in the last 11/12 years otherwise.
As the man stated, you either are a Jag till you die, or go hop on another team's bandwagon. 

Think back in the past 11 1/2 years or 40 years and tell me about an owner who has done what Khan's doing right now. The transparency they are giving to the community with the State of the Jags. Don't let the prior regimes dictate what the current regime is working on and allow the current regime to continue to build. They signed on for 5 years and we're only going into our 3rd year. Complain after 5 years or go be a fan of another team. It's just that simple. As for me? I am a fan for life and right up in the thick of Colts country, I let them all know it. 

Quote:It's a fair point, but it only furthers this idea that Bortles probably wouldn't have been a top 5 pick if he wasnt 6-5 230 something. Not with those mechanics.

When you look at his progress at UCF, you can see why he was a top 5 pick.  He made significant improvement each season.  Drafting is normally about the ceiling and not necessarily about NFL ready.  I saw enough last year to know we have so much work needed on the offense.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:(crickets)
^^ Agree with you on what you quoted

yeah pretty much.  How often do we get to see a visionary at work?  The spirit of America?  I was impressed.  This is not a play it safe owner.  This is not a sit on his hands and say yeah we are the NFL type of guy.  From start to finish that presentation was top flight.  The ownership is working their buts off for not just the NFL operations but the entire city.  In a day of Silent Stan and bickering over stadiums, what other team has a guy like this at the helm?

Darn flat lucky we are.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Khan is doing all the right things.  Unless you wanted him to buy a team and fire the GM without giving him one year to hang himself - then he's done it all right so far. And he's been very forward-thinking and imaginative to boot. 

Caldwell has done 90% all the right things.  Which is about 60% better than his predecessor. That's a win in my book. 

Bradley has been mildly disappointing - but also tasked with the Mt Everest of coaching jobs.  He'll either make strides or be on the hot-seat.  

I have no problem with this progression.  ^

If buying a team and turning it into an immediate contender were a cut and dry procedure with a turn-key blueprint - you wouldn't constantly have a dozen teams that haven't seen the playoffs in over a decade in this league.  

This team is headed the right way.  Moaning and whining about the past is for losers.  I'm excited about what's next for this franchise. 

Quote:Khan is doing all the right things.  Unless you wanted him to buy a team and fire the GM without giving him one year to hang himself - then he's done it all right so far. And he's been very forward-thinking and imaginative to boot. 

Caldwell has done 90% all the right things.  Which is about 60% better than his predecessor. That's a win in my book. 

Bradley has been mildly disappointing - but also tasked with the Mt Everest of coaching jobs.  He'll either make strides or be on the hot-seat.  

I have no problem with this progression.  ^

If buying a team and turning it into an immediate contender were a cut and dry procedure with a turn-key blueprint - you wouldn't constantly have a dozen teams that haven't seen the playoffs in over a decade in this league.  

This team is headed the right way.  Moaning and whining about the past is for losers.  I'm excited about about what's next for this franchise. 

It's like what Khan told MJD the first year he owned the team: "Train is leaving the station. Run, get on it".

;

;

Quote:Nobody read the title talking that shipyard crap. Obviously the only people who give a damn about what's going on in Jacksonville is the people who live in it, and us other fans don't care. The front office don't wanna talk about the on field too much because it's really nothing to talk about. Wouldn't be shocked if Khan's next presser is about him proposing a Jaguars' space station up there somewhere while the team goes 5-11 next season. 
Color me shocked that you're among those confused about what the intention was  yesterday.  Okay, not shocked.  You're pretty much like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west when it comes to having no clue.  Completely reliable. 

Quote:There you go talking about bandwagoners again, the minute someone gets critical of the regime.

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but clearly, you're not really worth the effort.

You didn't hear what you expected from a presentation about the BUSINESS health of the organization, and what they plan to do over the next year to continue to improve the bottom line.  You failed to grasp the fact that this was about the BUSINESS of the Jaguars, and not the football operations, but feel free to continue to wander around muttering to yourself that you're disappointed by what you heard, or didn't hear yesterday.  You're in the minority. 

I'm glad a few of the posters here aren't speaking for the whole fan base.  Reading the articles posted on Facebook by the news stations and then reading those comments, it just shows the backwards thinking of too large of a percentage in Jacksonville.  

"Maybe if he focused on putting better players on the field, he wouldn't have to build a  shipyard."  Seriously, people really can't differentiate between a football team and building things around the stadium?

Quote:I'm glad a few of the posters here aren't speaking for the whole fan base.  Reading the articles posted on Facebook by the news stations and then reading those comments, it just shows the backwards thinking of too large of a percentage in Jacksonville.  

"Maybe if he focused on putting better players on the field, he wouldn't have to build a  shipyard."  Seriously, people really can't differentiate between a football team and building things around the stadium?

These people are never going to get it, and they will always look for things to complain about.  It's what they do.