Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of the Franchise: From the View of the Fans

Quote:I'm glad a few of the posters here aren't speaking for the whole fan base.  Reading the articles posted on Facebook by the news stations and then reading those comments, it just shows the backwards thinking of too large of a percentage in Jacksonville.  

"Maybe if he focused on putting better players on the field, he wouldn't have to build a  shipyard."  Seriously, people really can't differentiate between a football team and building things around the stadium?

The ones that troll the Facebook pages of the local news sites and newspapers live in their own self made bubble. They do not speak for the masses. Let them wallow in their own misery.

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The ones that troll the Facebook pages of the local news sites and newspapers live in their own self made bubble. They do not speak for the masses. Let them wallow in their own misery.
Bingo!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The ones that troll the Facebook pages of the local news sites and newspapers live in their own self made bubble. They do not speak for the masses. Let them wallow in their own misery.

I know, but man it takes so much for me not to just lose it.  I typically don't respond there because it's always a losing battle ....and I don't want my friends and family to think I lost it.

Quote:Nobody read the title talking that shipyard crap. Obviously the only people who give a damn about what's going on in Jacksonville is the people who live in it, and us other fans don't care. The front office don't wanna talk about the on field too much because it's really nothing to talk about. Wouldn't be shocked if Khan's next presser is about him proposing a Jaguars' space station up there somewhere while the team goes 5-11 next season. 

You must be a real treat to be around.  That or you're just a clot/tack/tinhorn troll.

Huh

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015, 01:09 AM by clfcrn777.)

Quote:I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but clearly, you're not really worth the effort.

You didn't hear what you expected from a presentation about the BUSINESS health of the organization, and what they plan to do over the next year to continue to improve the bottom line. You failed to grasp the fact that this was about the BUSINESS of the Jaguars, and not the football operations, but feel free to continue to wander around muttering to yourself that you're disappointed by what you heard, or didn't hear yesterday. You're in the minority.
The post was started BEFORE the state of the union. I acknowledged that they wouldnt be discussing football. The business aspect is encouraging, but from an on field standpoint, i would argue that it's tough to feel encouraged at this point.

We shall see how far the offense takes us this year. But it's all on olson and bortles. W/O at least 6/7 wins, it'll probably be the marrone train in 2016.... No way caldwell makes his prized qb learn a new offense again in year 3.

Idk that any jags fans can be considered "bandwagon" btw. There hasn't been a wagon to jump on in 8 years. If you're still around, you're pretty damn loyal.

Quote:Tomorrow we will probably all hear about how much progress has been made on the financial front, and about the brand new projects going forward. What will probably be discussed much, much less is where this team stands from a football standpoint.

Win Total: 7 in two years certainly isn't good.

Offense: A very young unit, probably too young (Dave Caldwell would admit as much). There has been a lot of talk about signing Cobb or Julius Thomas, when in reality the areas that need to see improvement most are the QB position and offensive line. We drafted a project at QB, a guy who wasn't a great "thrower" in college. Sure he looked good in preseason and in the months leading up to the draft, but when teams started blitzing in the regular season, he reverted back to some bad habits (watch his combine tape and then games from late in the year. He developed a loop in his motion.) He  reminded me of a right handed version of a certain left handed quarterback who also struggled to overcome mechanical flaws. Let's hope this story ends better. To fix the second worst offense in the league we replaced our offensive coordinator with the man who was in charge of the only offense that was worse. Time will tell if better personnel will make a difference in Olson's offense, but unless the Jags sign a couple of substantial free agents, it's hard to argue that our roster is much more talented than Oakland's at this point. Most of all Bortles has to overcome his mechanical flaws. Cobb and Thomas won't fix that.

Defense: Despite ranking, the defense made significant strides last season, particularly in terms of pass rush. The secondary remains a question mark, as the team desperately needs to pair a decent FS in the back end with Cyprien. Cyprien's supporters have suggested that his iffy play has been due to him feeling the need to compensate for the failures of those around him. In that sense, finding a good FS will go a long way toward determining if Cyprien is actually any good. The linebacker unit is probably the area of biggest concern, as it's both ineffective at times, and older than the secondary. They need to get speedier and younger at those spots (fortunately it looks like Telvin will be a building block).

All in all, if Caldwell can fine some young talent for the D-line and Linebacker groups, and a true FS, the defense should be at least competent. Therefore, the win total this year will largely depend on the offense, and consequently Greg Olson. He has a tall, tall task, and his track record doesn't inspire confidence. He has to fix Bortles and also prove to be a competent playcaller.
I agree with most of it.  The problem is most fans on this board see with teal goggles so expect some backlash and/or insults.  The biggest thing this team needs is a winning culture.  The fans have showed up but if the losing continues many of these fans will vanish.  I for one would be royally upset if I was paying the ticket price to watch my team getting spanked on the football field weekly.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

State of the Franchise from my point of view: Just win baby! Put up or shut up! Go big or go home!

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Tomorrow we will probably all hear about how much progress has been made on the financial front, and about the brand new projects going forward. What will probably be discussed much, much less is where this team stands from a football standpoint.

Win Total: 7 in two years certainly isn't good.

Offense: A very young unit, probably too young (Dave Caldwell would admit as much). There has been a lot of talk about signing Cobb or Julius Thomas, when in reality the areas that need to see improvement most are the QB position and offensive line. We drafted a project at QB, a guy who wasn't a great "thrower" in college. Sure he looked good in preseason and in the months leading up to the draft, but when teams started blitzing in the regular season, he reverted back to some bad habits (watch his combine tape and then games from late in the year. He developed a loop in his motion.) He  reminded me of a right handed version of a certain left handed quarterback who also struggled to overcome mechanical flaws. Let's hope this story ends better. To fix the second worst offense in the league we replaced our offensive coordinator with the man who was in charge of the only offense that was worse. Time will tell if better personnel will make a difference in Olson's offense, but unless the Jags sign a couple of substantial free agents, it's hard to argue that our roster is much more talented than Oakland's at this point. Most of all Bortles has to overcome his mechanical flaws. Cobb and Thomas won't fix that.

Defense: Despite ranking, the defense made significant strides last season, particularly in terms of pass rush. The secondary remains a question mark, as the team desperately needs to pair a decent FS in the back end with Cyprien. Cyprien's supporters have suggested that his iffy play has been due to him feeling the need to compensate for the failures of those around him. In that sense, finding a good FS will go a long way toward determining if Cyprien is actually any good. The linebacker unit is probably the area of biggest concern, as it's both ineffective at times, and older than the secondary. They need to get speedier and younger at those spots (fortunately it looks like Telvin will be a building block).

All in all, if Caldwell can fine some young talent for the D-line and Linebacker groups, and a true FS, the defense should be at least competent. Therefore, the win total this year will largely depend on the offense, and consequently Greg Olson. He has a tall, tall task, and his track record doesn't inspire confidence. He has to fix Bortles and also prove to be a competent playcaller.
When in doubt say that the needle is pointing up and even though the Jaguars are in a state of rebuilding due to (list tons of excuses) the team should be great in a few years...... what most fans have said for this decade and most of the last decade.

This team hasn't been to the playoffs in over 7 years.  It has not sniffed the playoffs in 5.   We have also been near the top of the league in open salary cap those years with 0 star players.  This franchise needs to see some major progress this year.  People can cry and moan to be "patient" or just let the plan play out but eventually you will lose the masses. 

BTW, the masses are not the people who cry on facebook or even post on this board.  The masses are the fans who casually go to the games to have fun.  Most of the masses could not name 6 people on the team.  Those masses will disappear if this losing continues.

Quote:When in doubt say that the needle is pointing up and even though the Jaguars are in a state of rebuilding due to (list tons of excuses) the team should be great in a few years...... what most fans have said for this decade and most of the last decade.
Very true.  The same fans on this board who insult everyone for wanting to win are the same ones who were gun ho behind the whole Gene Smith/Del Rio movement.

Quote:This team hasn't been to the playoffs in over 7 years.  It has not sniffed the playoffs in 5.   We have also been near the top of the league in open salary cap those years with 0 star players.  This franchise needs to see some major progress this year.  People can cry and moan to be "patient" or just let the plan play out but eventually you will lose the masses. 

BTW, the masses are not the people who cry on facebook or even post on this board.  The masses are the fans who casually go to the games to have fun.  Most of the masses could not name 6 people on the team.  Those masses will disappear if this losing continues.

Have you seen the last three years of play?  People keep showing up to the games regardless.  Are they completely sold out, no....but the base that go to the games regardless is pretty good.  Those are the masses.

Quote:The post was started BEFORE the state of the union. I acknowledged that they wouldnt be discussing football. The business aspect is encouraging, but from an on field standpoint, i would argue that it's tough to feel encouraged at this point.

We shall see how far the offense takes us this year. But it's all on olson and bortles. W/O at least 6/7 wins, it'll probably be the marrone train in 2016.... No way caldwell makes his prized qb learn a new offense again in year 3.

Idk that any jags fans can be considered "bandwagon" btw. There hasn't been a wagon to jump on in 8 years. If you're still around, you're pretty damn loyal.
We've now seen them do this State of the Franchise address how many times?  At what point do you start to understand what the intention is with this presentation? 

It's irrelevant that your argument is that it's tough to feel encouraged at this point when talking about what transpired this week with this address.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

What this owner has done over the past few years as far as handling the business aspect of the franchise is nothing short of impressive.  Despite the fact that they knew the product on the field was going to be struggling the past couple of seasons, they've managed to increase revenues and create excitement around the franchise by doing things on the business side to bolster the profile of the organization on a local and international stage.  Not a bit of that has anything to do with football, which I would think is by design since they knew when they hired Caldwell that there was going to be a major project undertaken to get rid of the past and move in a new direction. 

Anyone expecting that to be a quick turnaround really doesn't have an appreciation for just how bad this roster was when they took over, or the level of change that was required to turn this thing around. 

You act as if there's no effort to communicate what's going on with the roster because the state of the franchise didn't touch on the football operations, but most of the press on this team comes from Caldwell or Bradley.  The owner has one address talking about the business of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and you're expecting him to talk about X's and O's or how they're going to draft when that's something he's made abundantly clear over the past 3 years that he will remain hands-off with.  He hired people to do that job, and he's letting them do it.  If you want to know what the strategy will be for continuing to rebuild the roster, he's not the guy to listen to. 

I'm not sure why this has caused some folks here so much confusion, but clearly it has. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Have you seen the last three years of play?  People keep showing up to the games regardless.  Are they completely sold out, no....but the base that go to the games regardless is pretty good.  Those are the masses.
Exactly.  Ask MVP where his seats are. 

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2015, 02:05 AM by DuvalJag.)

Great two post above FBT. The NFL is a business and what business doesn't need to be stable? Despite how bad the team has been and they been able increase the revenue is good. Khan also said they know (Gus and Dave) that the team needs to win more games. Jaguarmvp and a few others are some the most negative posters on here.

Quote:Great two post above FBT. The NFL is a business and what business doesn't need to be stable? Despite how bad the team has been and they been able increase the revenue is good. Khan also said they know (Gus and Dave) that the team needs to win more games. Jaguarmvp and a few others are some the most negative posters on here.
Hey same reply you gave me just for asking what items of stability are issues. Do you cut and paste "What business doesn't need to be stable?"

It's a cop out response for an NFL club with revenue sharing.  This isn't Joe's plumbing.

The money is there from TV revenue, and the fans are doing as much as can be expected given the product, yet we heard Stability is needed over and over.

So what more needs to be done ON THE BUSINESS SIDE to make Mr.Khan feel his franchise is stable?

Because he is making money, which most businesses consider stable in today's economy.

He owns one of the few guaranteed money making businesses in the world besides being a Saudi prince.

Does the phrase "MAKING THE FRANCHISE STABLE" repeated by Mr.Kahn and Mr.Lamping mean that the owner feels he isn't making enough ROI?

Is that negative or the simple truth of the state of franchise?

How did this thread turn into a discussion about the business side of things with the Jaguars? that's something that Khan and Lamping are supposed to figure out; not Caldwell and Bradley. The OP started this thread wanting to talk about the state of the franchise from the football/performance perspective, but some people began to interpret it as an attack on both Khan and the business. I'm lost.

Here's what THIS fan wants........

To see other teams' highlight films without a Jaguar missing a tackle, blowing coverage or fumbling the ball in crucial situations.

To feel the excitement and electricity I felt in 1999 when the team was 14-2 and everybody was talking about us.

To not have to sit in my seat and listen to drunk fans from the other team dissing our team at a home game.

To go into halftime with a lead confident it wouldn't evaporate in the second half.

To see the tarps go away, never to return.

To eliminate the London game because Khan would make more money keeping the game in Jax.

To have Monday Night Football return to Jax.

To actually be favored in the point spread for home games.

To listen to post game lockerroom interviews where the phrases " we'll look at the film and correct our mistakes" and " I did see some good things out there today" aren't spoken.

Just win, baby.

Quote:Great two post above FBT. The NFL is a business and what business doesn't need to be stable? Despite how bad the team has been and they been able increase the revenue is good. Khan also said they know (Gus and Dave) that the team needs to win more games. Jaguarmvp and a few others are some the most negative posters on here.
The seats are sold for now.  It does not mean they will continue to be.  Sure I am negative because the team flat sucks.  When the team gets better, I will get better.

Quote:How did this thread turn into a discussion about the business side of things with the Jaguars? that's something that Khan and Lamping are supposed to figure out; not Caldwell and Bradley. The OP started this thread wanting to talk about the state of the franchise from the football/performance perspective, but some people began to interpret it as an attack on both Khan and the business. I'm lost.

Yeah im not sure how the subject got changed either. Some people dont want to discuss the harsh reality that this team isnt nearly as close to turning the corner as management would have us believe.

I've said it before, we're headed for the Marrone train in 2016.

Quote:The seats are sold for now. It does not mean they will continue to be. Sure I am negative because the team flat sucks. When the team gets better, I will get better.

The interview with Sal Pal was perfect. He said we need to score some damn points. We've been blaming the defense for too many years when we consistently have struggled to average even 20 pts a game the past several years. Score points, it's how you win. Right now once a team gets 21 points on us, you can pretty much close up shop. It's embarrassing.