Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Skeletons in Marrone Closet.....

Marrone moved on from a QB that turned out to be a bust in short order.

What am I supposed to mad about again? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That's pretty funny. I'd love to read what some salty Jags fans could do with Bradley's wiki.
Paul Casey "Gus" Bradley (born July 5, 1966) is an American football coach and Ice Cream Connoisseur  who is the current Defensive Coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.

Anyway, the concerning thing about this article for me is the playcalling of Marrone.  He went run heavy with EJ Manuel on first down.  When Manuel was reportedly having SOME success, and the run game... wasn't.  I mean I don't really think it matters how Manuel turned out in the end.  I don't think Marrone ruined him, but I do think it raises questions on his playcalling abilities.  Why go so run heavy with Manuel, then pass on 1st with Orton?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Paul Casey "Gus" Bradley (born July 5, 1966) is an American football coach and Ice Cream Connoisseur  who is the current Defensive Coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.

Anyway, the concerning thing about this article for me is the playcalling of Marrone.  He went run heavy with EJ Manuel on first down.  When Manuel was reportedly having SOME success, and the run game... wasn't.  I mean I don't really think it matters how Manuel turned out in the end.  I don't think Marrone ruined him, but I do think it raises questions on his playcalling abilities.  Why go so run heavy with Manuel, then pass on 1st with Orton?

That would suggest EJ was more effective with the help of play action in the passing game.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Paul Casey "Gus" Bradley (born July 5, 1966) is an <a class="bbc_url" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football'>American football</a> coach and Ice Cream Connoisseur who is the current Defensive Coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.

Anyway, the concerning thing about this article for me is the playcalling of Marrone. He went run heavy with EJ Manuel on first down. When Manuel was reportedly having SOME success, and the run game... wasn't. I mean I don't really think it matters how Manuel turned out in the end. I don't think Marrone ruined him, but I do think it raises questions on his playcalling abilities. Why go so run heavy with Manuel, then pass on 1st with Orton?

This is what I noticed.... very suspect...

Quote: 

And yet he went 9-7 the year he pulled Manuel and put in Orton. 

Are we really supposed to be concerned that Marrone didn't think EJ Manuel should be the Bills' starter?  Seriously?  That's the "skeleton" in Marrone's closet?  That he might have ruined EJ Manuel?  

This, written prior to the 2015 season (going into his third season...)

"EJ Manuel hasn’t shown enough consistency to provide any sort of confidence in his ability to be a franchise quarterback for the Buffalo Bills. On tape, there’s plays where he’s showed the traits of a promising player, but on the next play you leave yourself wondering if he should be in the league. In an ideal world, you want your raw rookie quarterback to sit on the bench and learn how to adjust to the nuances of the professional game."

http://buffalofambase.org/2015/04/09/an-...-it-takes/

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM by The Real Marty.)

According to Wikipedia, the play that got Manuel benched was an 80-yard pick-6 by JJ Watt. 

Bortles better shape up. 

Maybe the Bills QB we should bring in is EJ, and not Tyrod.

"championship"

So, the "skeleton" in Marrone's closet is that he benched his starting QB after he threw an 80 yard pick-6 to a defensive lineman.  

I actually like that. 

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017, 05:05 PM by Yo Boy.)

Quote:So, the "skeleton" in Marrone's closet is that he benched his starting QB after he threw an 80 yard pick-6 to a defensive lineman.

I actually like that.

It's obvious most of yall didn't read the article...Here is a snippet from the article !

"And it sounds like the Bills are now more than fine with the move, as "sources" said Marrone is all about "power and control. That's why he is a very dangerous person to have inside the building."

I don't have a issue with Marrone.. Hopefully he pulls the trigger quick on Bortles when he starts playing like trash.. But from reading the article it's obvious Marrone wanted his own qb..

If he gets rid of Bortles as quickly as he gets rid of EJ, that's fine with me.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Bortles is even worse than EJ

Trololololololololol

Quote:It's obvious most of yall didn't read the article...Here is a snippet from the article !

"And it sounds like the Bills are now more than fine with the move, as "sources" said Marrone is all about "power and control. That's why he is a very dangerous person to have inside the building."

Jilted lovers.  That's all. 

Quote:[Image: giphy.gif]
^^^^This^^^^^

Got a +1...........That Sig tho'..........lmao......hilarious

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017, 07:00 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:And yet he went 9-7 the year he pulled Manuel and put in Orton. 

Are we really supposed to be concerned that Marrone didn't think EJ Manuel should be the Bills' starter?  Seriously?  That's the "skeleton" in Marrone's closet?  That he might have ruined EJ Manuel?  

You missed my point.

I don't think Marrone ruined Manuel.  I said as much in my post.  My concerns are regarding his playcalling.  Not because it 'ruined' Manuel, but because I don't think it put the Bills in the best position to win.  I want a head coach who--regardless of who is playing--puts us in the best position of winning.  He passed far less often on first down with Manuel--far less often than average for the NFL.  And Manuel's best play were on 1st down.  Now unlike the article author, I don't think this ruined Manuel.  I do however think it raises questions about his playcalling.  If the Bills had a good running game going on first down, it might make sense to run far more often than you pass.  Or if Manuel was flat awful.  I mean Manuel wasn't good--there's no denying that.  But Orton wasn't ten times better, and he got more 1st down passes (and did worse overall on them).  Again this isn't a knock on Marrone for benching Manuel for Orton.  This is a knock on his play calling on 1st down when Manuel was QB.  I think a good coach gets the most out of his players, and I'm not sure he got the most out of Manuel through his playcalling.  (even if there wasn't much to get out of him to begin with)

I'm not sold on Marrone.  I'd love to be wrong.  We'll see how he does next year.  Hopefully he's learned a few things, and he gets this team to 7 or more wins.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Have we considered that having him not throw on first down was getting the best out of him?

There are WRs who are 1.000 and have perfect passer ratings on WR passes.  That doesn't mean they should do it more often.

Isn't it possible the same is true with having Manuel throw more on first?  I don't get the obsession with having Manuel throw on first.

If they prescribed it less, then they didn't have faith it would succeed.

Any sane coach would run the ball more with EJ Manuel. 

It's like blaming one of our head coaches for Gabbert being terrible and not throwing more.

Some fun numbers from EJ's rookie season...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/qbs-in-...uel-lewis/

From the numbers, it's completely understandable why you would NOT want to throw with EJ on first down.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;"><b>Positives</b>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">•  Graded well on 2nd-and-short (<b>+2.8</b>) and 3rd-and-short (<b>+2.3</b>).

•  Posted positive grade on designed rollouts (<b>+0.6</b>).

•  Graded at <b>+0.3 </b>on drop-backs of at least nine yards.

•  Showed well on passes to the slot (by alignment) at <b>+3.1</b> and graded at <b>+2.0 </b>on throws to inline tight ends.

•  Best routes were crossing routes (<b>+1.5</b>), corner routes (<b>+1.7</b>), and post routes (<b>+2.4</b>).

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;"><b>Negatives</b>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">•  Graded at <b>-9.4 </b>on second down, including <b>-10.7 </b>on 2nd-and-long

•  Struggled on passes thrown at least 20 yards in the air (<b>-9.1</b>).

•  Graded at <b>-8.2 </b>on passes thrown outside the numbers to the right.

•  One of the league’s lowest grades in a clean pocket (<b>-5.1</b>).

•  Graded at <b>-8.9 </b>on 4-to-6-yard drop-backs and <b>-7.1 </b>on 7-to-8-yard drop-backs.

•  Struggled on passes to outside receivers (<b>-12.3</b>).

•  Second-lowest grade on go routes at <b>-7.7.</b>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;"><b>Tendencies</b>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">•  Above the league average in designed rollouts (5.6%) and plays that broke out of the pocket (7.5%).

•  54% of passes were thrown in the 1-to-10-yard range; fourth-highest in the league.

•  Threw only 16.8% of passes in the 11-to-20-yard range; second-lowest in the league.

•  Faced pressure only 32% of the time; seventh-lowest in the league.

•  Was blitzed only 24.0% of the time; second-lowest in the league.

•  58.8% of drop-backs were in the 7-to-8-yard drop-back range; seventh-highest in the league.

•  Used play action 17.0% of the time; below the league average of 21.0%.

•  Threw only 58.4% of passes to wide receivers (by alignment), well below the league average of 72.4%.

•  Threw only 32.6% of passes to outside wide receivers (league average: 40.2%).

•  17.9% of attempts went to running backs on non-screens, second-highest in the league.

•  Threw screens on only 6.5% of drop-backs. Was above the league average with 5.2% of attempts going to running backs on screens, but only 1.4% of attempts went to wide receivers on screens, third-lowest in the league.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Call for throwing on first all you want, but it was a true horror show with him in the game.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">The above stats would suggest all he was doing was checking down to his RB to get his "mighty" first down numbers.

Quote:Any sane coach would run the ball more with EJ Manuel. 

It's like blaming one of our head coaches for Gabbert being terrible and not throwing more.

The three teams they didn't run on were the Patriots, Panthers and Ravens. But then again, does anyone run on those teams?

'02

Quote:The three teams they didn't run on were the Patriots, Panthers and Ravens. But then again, does anyone run on those teams?

And they beat the Ravens and Panthers...hmmm..