Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone new Assistant Head Coach/OL coach

one down 2 more to go

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This is a good hire.  He'll get that line in shape.  I feel sorry for Luke Butkus.  He got thrown into the fire with Yarno's health issues.  I'm curious to see if he's kept on the staff as the assistant line coach, or if they move in a different direction, especially with the revelation that Tony Boselli is actually out there with the staff as an OL coach. 

It will be interesting to see the type of blocking scheme the Jaguars use with Doug Marrone now in the Jaguars fold.   If the Jaguars change blocking schemes,  it could mean that Luke Butkus will move on.   George Yarno had a diverse coaching skill set,  that made it feasible for him to coach the Jaguars Zone Blocking Scheme.   I'm not familiar with Butkus'  background as a coach before he came to Jacksonville.  

As for Butkus,   I think his experience as interim Jaguars O-Line coach will help his coaching career.   Having the experience of coaching an NFL O-Line,  getting significant improvement from a rookie C and a rookie RG,   and dealing with a difficult RT situation should prepare Butkus for a future opportunity as an O-Line Coach. 

Quote:I haven't seen a single positive comment in the PFT comments section about this hire.

Oh my God....Oh my God....Oh my God....Oh my God....

No good comments in PFT!!!!

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Hi guys, Bills fan signing up just to chime in. We are laughing at this hire because we are still laughing at how he bolted on us. That said, as an actual coach, I can't say I have a clue how good he is. The strength of our team was our D and he had no say in it. Our D carried us to 9 wins. Our O, which he admitted to having a heavy hand in, was so bad, it gave away a couple games. Before Marrone our OL was struggling. In his 2 years, it got even worse. There may have been too many hands in the pot but ultimately, he gets a failing grade if he's considered an OL guru. All that said, I wish you guys good luck (minus the London game) and I hope you turn the corner soon.

At least one of those games was a loss to the Chiefs in 2013, played by a 3rd string QB.

The Bills offense had KC off balance the entire game with a noodle armed QB (Jeff Tuel, IIRC).  But he threw 2 or three awful drive killing and momentum changing picks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Hey guys -- Bills fan here. If anyone wants to talk about your new OL coach hit me with some questions.
what's his favorite flavor ice cream?

Does it seem odd that Marrone would go from head coach who actually did a pretty good job Oline coach?

Quote:Hi guys, Bills fan signing up just to chime in. We are laughing at this hire because we are still laughing at how he bolted on us. That said, as an actual coach, I can't say I have a clue how good he is. The strength of our team was our D and he had no say in it. Our D carried us to 9 wins. Our O, which he admitted to having a heavy hand in, was so bad, it gave away a couple games. Before Marrone our OL was struggling. In his 2 years, it got even worse. There may have been too many hands in the pot but ultimately, he gets a failing grade if he's considered an OL guru. All that said, I wish you guys good luck (minus the London game) and I hope you turn the corner soon.

With the scrubs that have suited up at QB for Buffalo the past few years, he gets somewhat of a pass on that one.

Quote:what's his favorite flavor ice cream?

Clearly, vanilla.  Next?

Bills fans would've been happy to have him stay as their HC.

We got him to coach our O-line and THEY'RE the ones laughing?

Now that's laughable.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Does it seem odd that Marrone would go from head coach who actually did a pretty good job Oline coach?
isnt that the same move mularky made

Quote:Does it seem odd that Marrone would go from head coach who actually did a pretty good job Oline coach?
and assitant head coach. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's very well paid and if there's an agreement to be the head coach if/when Gus gets fired once/if we start 1-5.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:isnt that the same move mularky made

yep, except he didn't also have the title of assistant head coach.

Quote:Clearly, vanilla. Next?
zeppelin or floyd ?

Quote:isnt that the same move mularky made
Tice and Munchak, too.

IIRC Joe Bugel as well.

Marrone as OL coach is a terrific hire. I'm impressed.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Bills fans would've been happy to have him stay as their HC.

Now that's laughable.

Jilted lovers.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Bills fans would've been happy to have him stay as their HC.

Now that's laughable.
No. The majority of us were dreading him and Hackett coming back. We watched him gutlessly give away games and our playoff hopes slip away. It is true that our new owner was ready for him to come back but as a fanbase, no, we were more than happy when he left. Of course we're acting mad like he's a quitter, but we are really glad he opted out.

Quote:Clearly, vanilla. Next?

His favourite Bon Jovi song?

Quote:No. The majority of us were dreading him and Hackett coming back. We watched him gutlessly give away games and our playoff hopes slip away. It is true that our new owner was ready for him to come back but as a fanbase, no, we were more than happy when he left. Of course we're acting mad like he's a quitter, but we are really glad he opted out.

I'm surprised by that stance. He didn't have much to work with on offense and the bills outperformed expectations.

Quote:No. The majority of us were dreading him and Hackett coming back. We watched him gutlessly give away games and our playoff hopes slip away. It is true that our new owner was ready for him to come back but as a fanbase, no, we were more than happy when he left. Of course we're acting mad like he's a quitter, but we are really glad he opted out.
He coached you to your first winning season since 2004.  How long has it been since you guys had legitimate playoff hopes late in the season?

The new ownership wanted him to stay.

It seems a bit incredulous to read from Bills fan that he was the anchor weighing the team down.