Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone new Assistant Head Coach/OL coach

Quote:Manning? No thanks. I'd rather start our young first round QB than a soon to be 39 year old who is obviously past his best.

It is fantasy scenario, but I would absolutely want BB to sit behind Manning for a year or two. The wealth of experience he could get from working with him would be great. He would certainly be a better mentor than Chad Henne. Even if Manning would be average (An average Manning would still put up 30 td seasons), it would be a great learning experience for BB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 02:23 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Manning would also help our young line with their protections. Protections were by far our biggest issue last year on the line with a rookie qb, rookie center, and rookie acting assistant offensive line coach.

Quote:Hey guys -- Bills fan here. If anyone wants to talk about your new OL coach hit me with some questions.

What does he smell like? My guess is old newspaper...

Quote:I haven't seen a single positive comment in the PFT comments section about this hire.

Using PFT as a barometer for a coaching hire is laughable, using PFT's comments as a barometer for a coaching hire is hilarious. Come on Stroudcrowd, I'd like believe you're smarter than this.

I'm looking at the post about Marrone opting out on the Bills subreddit and there are some people who were glad to see Marrone gone, but there was also a decent amount of fans who were irked with him leaving. The biggest complaint about Marrone seemed to be his choice of Hackett as OC.

Their opinions of him right after he left were definitely not as negative as they are now.

Haha, we're having the same Peyton argument in our world. Anyone who currently has no QB who quickly dismisses Peyton as "washed up" is living in Madden/Fantasy land. He is the definition of QB. A noodle armed Peyton would still turn you (well, at least my Bills) into an instant playoff team. If he truly lost his arm, he's smart enough to learn his new limits and still run an offense. People have almost no memory or foresight.

Quote:Nope. Not even close to true. Our D was so good, I mean, maybe close to Tampa 2002 good...All 4 D lineman had about 10 sacks...that missing the playoffs was a crime. We had a decent stable of RB's and our O Line was terrible they couldn't do a thing. Marrone admitted to calling an ultra conservative game plan to take the heat off of Hackett. Our D was handed short fields time and time again and still kept us in every game. There were a handful of times he would punt on 4th and 1, inside the 50, down by 7 or less, with like 6 min to go!!! He would rely on the D all game and then, of course, the D couldn't hold up one last time and the game would be over. The difference between 11-5 and 9-7. He gets the cred, as I would assume out of town as well, but I'm telling you, he was not the reason for the improvement. We have a good up and coming GM who has been filling up our roster with talent. A gutless coach kept this team from breaking our 15 year playoff drought.
Hahaha Tampa 2002?!! Get outta here. You weren't even the #1 defense this year.

Quote:Hahaha Tampa 2002?!! Get outta here. You weren't even the #1 defense this year.
Wanna know why we weren't #1? When your D is on the field most of the time and gets almost no support from your O, it's hard to rake up all the stats to get #1. #4 in light of Marrone's "work" on our OL was a miracle.

Quote:Bills fans loved him until he took the money and ran. Then they said the team was winning despite him.

Salty.

/End thread

Thanks for this.

Quote:Hahaha Tampa 2002?!! Get outta here. You weren't even the #1 defense this year.

For real...
Shock the world

Quote:Wanna know why we weren't #1? When your D is on the field most of the time and gets almost no support from your O, it's hard to rake up all the stats to get #1. #4 in light of Marrone's "work" on our OL was a miracle.

Same thing with our defense, but we probably had a worse offense.

I say the Bills go 8-8 next season.
Shock the world

Quote:Wanna know why we weren't #1? When your D is on the field most of the time and gets almost no support from your O, it's hard to rake up all the stats to get #1. #4 in light of Marrone's "work" on our OL was a miracle.
Dude.... Tampa was working with Brad Johnson.

You're just mad he left. Saying your defense is almost as good as Tampa in 2002 is just down right laughable. Good luck with Rex.... He's sooooo much better than Marrone.

You guys were 22nd in time of possession with a time of 29:31, so your defense wasn't even in the top 10 for time on the field.

Quote:I'm looking at the post about Marrone opting out on the Bills subreddit and there are some people who were glad to see Marrone gone, but there was also a decent amount of fans who were irked with him leaving. The biggest complaint about Marrone seemed to be his choice of Hackett as OC.

Their opinions of him right after he left were definitely not as negative as they are now.
Tuxedo, i think there were plenty of Bills fans who wanted Marone to stay with the rationaliztion of 9-7 and winning record. PLenty more who felt the D, where Marrone admittedly had little to no involvement, carried the team and won some games that should not have been won based on the performance of the offense in whole, the QBs certainly, and a good bit based on the Offensive line.

But even the folks who wanted him to stay felt burned, as did the players, when after the last game of the year against the Pats scrubs, he preached Bills family, and of the family they had built in the locker room ...and then walked out without so much as a phone call to any of his "family" . The players got a mass text from him much later that night. Several have refeered to the way he left, not that he left...and they to a man have not said anything positive about Marrone.

Also, he supposedly trashed the Bills organization on the way out and somehow influenced Bill Polian to not take a job within the organization.

I think most Bills fans would root for the Jags and want you all to succeed...we too are sick of the same teams every year.

I hope this works for you guys, my gut says Saint Doug(as he referred to himself if he could get Syracuse and Buffalo winning records) got knocked down a peg and learned a ton....i think i good hire for you guys

Quote:Dude.... Tampa was working with Brad Johnson.

You're just mad he left. Saying your defense is almost as good as Tampa in 2002 is just down right laughable. Good luck with Rex.... He's sooooo much better than Marrone.
You are 100% right. They worked with Brad Johnson. Gruden made it work with Brad Johnson. Can't argue with you there. Orton was our Johnson. It could have worked...

Quote:You guys were 22nd in time of possession with a time of 29:31, so your defense wasn't even in the top 10 for time on the field.
If this is supposed to kill my argument about the offense leaving our D out to dry...

Being the 11th worst time of possession team doesn't prove my point?

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JohnOehser'>@JohnOehser </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/557606701109878786' title="1:32 PM - 20 Jan 2015">12m</a>

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/557606701109878786' title="1:32 PM - 20 Jan 2015">12 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Reports to the contrary, Doug Marrone was candidate for OL coach from the start. Didn't interview for the off coordinator job. <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a>

Quote:Just saw TMD's comments: he likes the hire.

Terrible news

I wonder if Marrone leaving Buffalo and coming here is as much of an indictment/endorsement of the respective front offices as it is him trying to bounce back career wise.

I don't know where he stood on the selection of Manuel, but he was clearly opposed to trading this year's first round pick to move up to get Watkins in a WR deep draft.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:@JohnOehser  12m

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">12 minutes ago
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Reports to the contrary, Doug Marrone was candidate for OL coach from the start. Didn't interview for the off coordinator job. #Jaguars

</div>

Hmmmmm.

This leads me to wonder what plans Gus has for Butkus moving forward. Does he want him to stay and learn from Marrone, or just to quietly go away? If Marrone only has ideas for a one to two year stint, this may end up being a good thing for Butkus if he can learn some valuable things from Marrone.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!