Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirby Wilson in the running as OC

Bigcatcountrys ranking article really made me think twice about wilson. Having a motivational guy with experience in zone blocking my be just as good as having a guy like trestman. Think about it.

Whats a QBs best friend? A running game.

Whats the one thing that can make a QB instantly better by a full tier? Proper blocking

It could aid bortles' development faster than a trestman run offense. Wilson is an expert in those two areas.
Can't wait to see whats next. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bigcatcountrys ranking article really made me think twice about wilson. Having a motivational guy with experience in zone blocking my be just as good as having a guy like trestman. Think about it.

Whats a QBs best friend? A running game.

Whats the one thing that can make a QB instantly better by a full tier? Proper blocking

It could aid bortles' development faster than a trestman run offense. Wilson is an expert in those two areas.

He does bring up some interesting points about all 3 candidates.

Here's the article BassX97 is referencing.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/7/7507581/ranking-the-jaguars-offensive-coordinator-candidates'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/7/7507581/ranking-the-jaguars-offensive-coordinator-candidates</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Rooney Rule?  Just asking...

Quote:Rooney Rule? Just asking...
No, that only applies to head coaching positions.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Rooney Rule?  Just asking...
Doesn't apply to coordinators.

Quote:It's all about the QB. Who was he working with in NO? He wasn't there when Brees was there.

He had a pretty explosive offense there, getting some pretty darn good performances from guys like Aaron Brooks and Jake Delhomme.

Quote:He does bring up some interesting points about all 3 candidates.

Here's the article BassX97 is referencing.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/7/7507581/ranking-the-jaguars-offensive-coordinator-candidates'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/7/7507581/ranking-the-jaguars-offensive-coordinator-candidates</a>

Yes, let's bring in more rah-rah guys who have no previous experience in developing a QB, being an offensive coordinator, and calling plays. Even Fisch had prior OC experience before he was hired here.

Let's just motivate all of our players to improve on a daily basis. It certainly has produced impressive results over the past two years. Gus does fine being the figure head of this team and motivating this roster. We don't need a room full of cheerleaders, just like we don't need a room full of monotone geniuses who can't properly relate to players in order to successfully communicate what they want done.

We need the right blend.

Quote:The Chiefs WRs had 0 tds all season. Is that the WR coach's fault?

That guy has been with Andy Reid for awhile in Philly. Clearly, the HC had familiarity with him and knew what he was capable of. That and...you know, he was hired for the same position he did in Philly.

You want to interview Wilson to be a RB coach? Fine. He's certainly had plenty of experience there, mostly bad, a few terrible, even fewer good seasons. But you can at least say he's done the job and had success when he had an All-Pro running back and failed when he had terrible talent.

But to give him the responsibility on developing a QB who's success is incredibly tied to the success of our franchise, turn around an offense that will be featuring three 2nd year wide receivers, two 2nd year OL (three if you believe the JOeckel apologists that last year was really his rookie year), no legitimate pass catching threat at TE, and a relatively untested and unproven RB committee?

Then what next year the excuse is, "well, Wilson is a great guy who motivates his players, but is learning on the job"?

We do not need someone who's going to learn on the job when our GM is still learning on the job, our head coach is still learning on the job, and at least 75% of our starting offense is still learning on the job. 

We did that approach with Fisch, and that result was disastrous.

Quote:That guy has been with Andy Reid for awhile in Philly. Clearly, the HC had familiarity with him and knew what he was capable of. That and...you know, he was hired for the same position he did in Philly.

You want to interview Wilson to be a RB coach? Fine. He's certainly had plenty of experience there, mostly bad, a few terrible, even fewer good seasons. But you can at least say he's done the job and had success when he had an All-Pro running back and failed when he had terrible talent.

But to give him the responsibility on developing a QB who's success is incredibly tied to the success of our franchise, turn around an offense that will be featuring three 2nd year wide receivers, two 2nd year OL (three if you believe the JOeckel apologists that last year was really his rookie year), no legitimate pass catching threat at TE, and a relatively untested and unproven RB committee?

Then what next year the excuse is, "well, Wilson is a great guy who motivates his players, but is learning on the job"?

We do not need someone who's going to learn on the job when our GM is still learning on the job, our head coach is still learning on the job, and at least 75% of our starting offense is still learning on the job.

We did that approach with Fisch, and that result was disastrous.

Couldn't have said it better.

No more learning on the job. Get a guy that's done it before and that's had success before. Trestman or Roman would be significant upgrades over Jedd and probably Gus if he was to get fired.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I'm not saying hire wilson over Trestman. Im saying if they went with Wilson, I wouldn't be unhappy as it will have good dividends as well. Id rather Trestman but Wilson isn't a bad 2nd option. Id rank him higher than roman at this point however.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:I'm not saying hire wilson over Trestman. Im saying if they went with Wilson, I wouldn't be unhappy as it will have good dividends as well. Id rather Trestman but Wilson isn't a bad 2nd option. Id rank him higher than roman at this point however.

Exactly.

I don't hate Roman, and the fact that Kirby never technically "worked with quarterbacks" is a solid point, but if you ask around this very board what was the main problem with our passing game many would say the offensive line. OCs can draw up an endless amount schemes in the passing game but if the protection isn't there nothing works. So why not just hire an OL coach for OC then?

My point is, I personally want the Jags to throw the ball all over the place, but at the same time you can't belittle Kirby's experience and accomplishments just because he was "only a RB coach". It's more complicated than that.

Quote:I'm not saying hire wilson over Trestman. Im saying if they went with Wilson, I wouldn't be unhappy as it will have good dividends as well. Id rather Trestman but Wilson isn't a bad 2nd option. Id rank him higher than roman at this point however.

How can you say it will have good dividends? You can't. The guy has no track record as an OC. And its not like his track record as a RB coach is a slam dunk either.

While there's no guarantee with Trestman or Roman, there's at least a record there. You know that Trestman has gotten a lot out of treadmill/journeyman QBs.We know that Roman can run an effective running offense (if not considered one of the tops) in the league.

There's really nothing that we can point out and say "ok, this is what Wilson can do for this offense". He's very much a wait and see candidate. And as I said, given this is his first year ever as an OC...you can bet your money that if he is hired, at some point in this season, there will be at least one instance where you'll hear the "feeling out" or "learning on the job" reasoning for why something didn't work.

I really hate the Zone Blocking Scheme !!!

Quote:I really hate the Zone Blocking Scheme !!!

we just weren't doing it right.  the cowboys are one of the many many teams that use it now and look at the results

Quote:we just weren't doing it right.  the cowboys are one of the many many teams that use it now and look at the results

It just comes across (to me) as an unnecessarily complicated protection scheme though and therein lies the problem (imo). It definitely seems like a system in which there's just so much that can go wrong and when just one thing does, it gets really ugly, really fast.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I really hate the Zone Blocking Scheme !!!
The problem here is that the way Gus was talking last week, that's what they want to continue to run, so they're putting just about any OC candidate in a box before they're even hired.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:It just comes across (to me) as an unnecessarily complicated protection scheme though and therein lies the problem (imo). It definitely seems like a system in which there's just so much that can go wrong and when just one thing does, it gets really ugly, really fast.

When the players execute it properly, the ZBS is a highly effective scheme to run. Its no coincidence that the teams who've had the right people in place to implement it (typically stemming from that Shanahan regime out of Denver) have been able to churn out 1000 yard rushers year in and year out regardless of who they have carrying the football.

Its either the players we have here can't execute it because of their own capabilities (which means a failure of Caldwell, since we're supposedly acquiring players fit for the scheme) or the coaching (Yarno being out doesn't help).

Quote:The problem here is that the way Gus was talking last week, that's what they want to continue to run, so they're putting just about any OC candidate in a box before they're even hired.
Not necessarily.  Likely, the person they bring in is going to favor the zone blocking scheme.  It's not like they are going to hire a random person and say "Hey do this!".  All they are doing is limiting the amount of candidates by ZBS, which is fine if that's what they want to do.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015, 04:37 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

You can get Motivational coaches on the cheap.

You actually have to pay smart coaches.

Denver executed the CBS - Cut Blocking Scheme under Shanahan