Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
JDR Underappreciated?

Quote:Average got us to the playoffs multiple times and was NEVER considered unfit for league standards. 

So lets upgrade to 2-14, 4-12, 3-13.

Now, merely competing in about 6 out of 16 games is the standard

And you'll hear the upgrade tell you how proud he is of the effort

I agree, it's not okay to be average

We are building a long term team that will compete gloriously for years to come

In theory

You are right. What was i thinking? I thought the goal was to win it all, not win a lil. You have to crawl before you walk.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Do people really think Gus was going to do something with probably the worst roster in NFL history? The defense played well enough to win more than 3 games, but we had offense primarily made up of rookies vs veteran's defenses. Now someone is actually comparing the Cowboys/Garrett to the Jags. Garrett took over an established team with an established QB. You have to wonder if some of the posters on this message board are on the right medication!

Comprehende mon frere?  As discussed, the idea is to win enough and try to be in the mix come December to get in the dance.  Once there, you battle and see where the chips fall.  Over time, as the roster strengthens, when you get to the dance, you have better chances of getting to the big dance. 

That's the formula top teams in the league use, and the one that JDR exhibited during his tenure here that got us to the playoffs twice in 3 years between 05 and 07 after 12-5 and 11-4 seasons.  These were flanked by 'average' 9-7 and 8-8 seasons in 04 and 06.  Similar to the Cowboys current pattern, recordwise, not personnel.  That's what P.Haze expressed.

Our Jaguars' current concept of building a 'perfectly' competitive robust long-term roster is impractical and a bit of a fantasy, in my view.  Surely, you want to establish your core to build around, but the idea of it being acceptable or even understandable to be deplorable and subleague as you continue to build till you suddenly produce this sparkling roster that is Super Bowl ready is asinine.  That's what some of the most ardent Jag fans have been made to believe, and that's troubling.

The sane teams in the league think: Good enough, then to great as the chips fall.  Not putrid, then to excellent in a flash, based on a built roster.  How often have you seen 2-14, 4-12, 3-13 then all of a sudden 11-5, 13-3, 12-4?  In retrospect, this tear down to start from fresh plan by Caldwell n co truly devastated this franchise.  It's naive to expect a drastic turn around in the next 2/3 years based on the pattern thus far.

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Comprehende mon frere?  As discussed, the idea is to win enough and try to be in the mix come December to get in the dance.  Once there, you battle and see where the chips fall.  Over time, as the roster strengthens, when you get to the dance, you have better chances of getting to the big dance. 

That's the formula top teams in the league use, and the one that JDR exhibited during his tenure here that got us to the playoffs twice in 3 years between 05 and 07 after 12-5 and 11-4 seasons.  These were flanked by 'average' 9-7 and 8-8 seasons in 04 and 06.  Similar to the Cowboys current pattern, recordwise, not personnel.  That's what P.Haze expressed.

Our Jaguars' current concept of building a 'perfectly' competitive robust long-term roster is impractical and a bit of a fantasy, in my view.  Surely, you want to establish your core to build around, but the idea of it being acceptable or even understandable to be deplorable and subleague as you continue to build till you suddenly produce this sparkling roster that is Super Bowl ready is asinine.  That's what some of the most ardent Jag fans have been made to believe, and that's troubling.

The sane teams in the league think: Good enough, then to great as the chips fall.  Not putrid, then to excellent in a flash, based on a built roster.  How often have you seen 2-14, 4-12, 3-13 then all of a sudden 11-5, 13-3, 12-4?  In retrospect, this tear down to start from fresh plan by Caldwell n co truly devastated this franchise.  It's naive to expect a drastic turn around in the next 2/3 years based on the pattern thus far.
No need man, he's an idiot who surely won't get what you're putting down.

Quote:Comprehende mon frere?  As discussed, the idea is to win enough and try to be in the mix come December to get in the dance.  Once there, you battle and see where the chips fall.  Over time, as the roster strengthens, when you get to the dance, you have better chances of getting to the big dance. 

I'm not sure how you can call the current concept impractical and a bit of a fantasy when it's a novel concept and can only be accurately judged in when viewed in hindsight. I could understand this view if other franchises had tried this method and had failed, but that's not the case.

Caldwell's method could fall flat on it's face or it could turn out to be the formula for success as advertised and become the new model for building a team. At this point, no one really knows.

Rebuilding can be a frustrating process, but there is little point elevating this frustration by having expectations to start receiving the desired results before those results were promised to be delivered.

The troubling thing about building a franchise like Caldwell is doing is that it's never been done before. There's no precedent.

If it works, maybe we will become trend-setters... I hope so.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I'm not sure how you can call the current concept impractical and a bit of a fantasy when it's a novel concept and can only be accurately judged in when viewed in hindsight. I could understand this view if other franchises had tried this method and had failed, but that's not the case.

Caldwell's method could fall flat on it's face or it could turn out to be the formula for success as advertised and become the new model for building a team. At this point, no one really knows.

Rebuilding can be a frustrating process, but there is little point elevating this frustration by having expectations to start receiving the desired results before those results were promised to be delivered.

Oh Predator, mon frere.  It is wholly impractical and fantasy-driven to 'tear down and start from scratch', subjecting your team and fans to the angst of 2-14, 3-13, 1-15 in HOPES of all the pieces falling into place to then go 12-4, 11-5, 13-3 etc as the roster develops.  A socio-economic quirk.

SuperJville, rest assured, in this league of instant success, this method will not be emulated soon, if at all.  Folks do not have the time and patience like us dear deplorable Jags fans to wait 3+ years of subleague output to see if the plan will even BEGIN to work. 

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 11:23 PM by Predator.)

Quote:Oh Predator, mon frere.  It is wholly impractical and fantasy-driven to 'tear down and start from scratch', subjecting your team and fans to the angst of 2-14, 3-13, 1-15 in HOPES of all the pieces falling into place to then go 12-4, 11-5, 13-3 etc as the roster develops.  A socio-economic quirk.

SuperJville, rest assured, in this league of instant success, this method will not be emulated soon, if at all.  Folks do not have the time and patience like us dear deplorable Jags fans to wait 3+ years of subleague output to see if the plan will even BEGIN to work. 
Do you have any evidence that their method is impractical? You act like this wasn't a 2-14 team before they ever introduced their methods.

What would truly be considered impractical and fantasy driven is to continue on the path of previous regimes, whose efforts to maintain competitiveness at all costs, did nothing but create a string of mediocre seasons that gradually regressed to the 2-14 rock bottom that was their when the new regime took over.

It is better to take your lumps trying to go in a different and better direction than to continue on the proven path of failure in the pursuit of mediocrity.

Trying a new method to see if it works isn't fantasy.

Trying out a method and watching it steadily fail and regress over a period of years leading to a complete turnover from coaching staff to owner and then saying, "let's try that again and see if it works this time" would be a fantasy driven methodology.

Common sense is not allowed on here. You know that right Predator?

Quote:Common sense is not allowed on here. You know that right Predator?
Obviously.

I also find the sentiment towards the methodology employed as being "wholly impractical and fantasy-driven" by someone who self admittedly "doesn't football" a bit presumptuous.

Common mate, do you really believe I don't football?  After season tickets through undergrad, 15 years on the board, trips from DC and NYC after moving away from Jacksonville...I am here what for again?  It was a facetious response to poster x.

I don't miss watching wherever I am in the world.  Haven't missed a game since January 1997.  I am more teal than conceivable, torturously.

I think it's a very lengthy, impractical method to primararilly draft and hope.  In this era of show me now, it's a bold against the grain concept at least.  FO is now aware of this, hence we will be big spenders in FA.  Fantasy is tongue in cheek, clearly, because it's our reality.

Quote:Common mate, do you really believe I don't football?  After season tickets through undergrad, 15 years on the board, trips from DC and NYC after moving away from Jacksonville...I am here what for again?  It was a facetious response to poster x.

I don't miss watching wherever I am in the world.  Haven't missed a game since January 1997.  I am more teal than conceivable, torturously.

I think it's a very lengthy, impractical method to primararilly draft and hope.  In this era of show me now, it's a bold against the grain concept at least.  FO is now aware of this, hence we will be big spenders in FA.  Fantasy is tongue in cheek, clearly, because it's our reality.

Quote:Common mate, do you really believe I don't football?  After season tickets through undergrad, 15 years on the board, trips from DC and NYC after moving away from Jacksonville...I am here what for again?  It was a facetious response to poster x.

We spent 5 years weakening the roster by trading away draft picks in pursuit of home runs in the draft and overspending on marginal FAs only to end up with a resounding 2-14 record and you want to say how the current regime is going about it is the long process????

The main reason the current process is taking as long as it is, is because they inherited a roster with very few quality players, no depth, and no quality developmental players.

The reality is you have no idea how long this process will actually take or how long the results will actually last, none of us do, because this is a novel idea they have implemented.

If this process turns this franchise into a relevant team for a decade, then no one will care that it sputtered the first two years.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM by Predator.)

I'm trying to see where all of this knowledge and foresight on how a team should be built was two years ago when the new regime took over and told us their process would take some patience. Suddenly, when being faced with the actual patience part, everything is being done wrong. smh

I think 7 wins in two years and not having tons of threads about firing of Gus or signs in the stadium shows that for the most part fans have been patient in the "so called rebuilding process" but going into year 3 of GM Dave & HC Gus 3 or 4 wins for the season will not be tolerated as most cant justify not seeing any improvement.

Quote:The troubling thing about building a franchise like Caldwell is doing is that it's never been done before. There's no precedent.

If it works, maybe we will become trend-setters... I hope so.

Having a losing franchise isnt a trend, the Lions did it for years and years...

Quote:Having a losing franchise isnt a trend, the Lions did it for years and years...

Its a trend here. Some of the fans have accepted it. They love being middle of the pack to the back of the pack.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Who do you want them to take in the 1st to 3rd round?  I think DT Leo Williams

Quote:Didn't Khan get suckered in to extending that waste of space by three years right as he purchased the team? He is probably still having to pay that kook. I bet that has to pain the soul to sign that check.

They must have not got along didnt make sense to fire JDR for Mularkey.  The fact that the Broncos Defense is ranked 3rd overall this season, and he has so many job interviews proves he wasnt a horrible coach.

JDR wasn't a horrible coach but I also think he gave up a little at the end.  I believe he was starting to come in late and leave early.  He was probably burnt out on trying to win with the talent he was given.

Huh

He did have a really bad GM