Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"The Bortles Conundrum" Great article written by Greg Bedard in early 2014

Quote:What do you suggest then?  Who was a better option?  Henne knew the system and can play game manager, which is all we'd need out of the guy.

Better option?

Do you understand how ridiculous that comes across?

When your first option is "lose by 30+ points and not be at all competitive in any game," why would you think there's some worry about whether someone else is "better"?

Henne was on pace for the all time worst offensive performance by a team by a LARGE margin.

Like I said, having Henne on the team because you need someone to fill a slot is one thing.

Saying resigning a guy like Henne before he can hit free agency and have his true value gauged by the open market is what is truly concerning.

If it were your 3.5 million would you consider Henne to be 3 million dollars better than some other dreg in free agency?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Better option?

When your first option is "lose by 30+ points and not be at all competitive in any game," why would you think there's some worry about whether someone else is "better"?

Henne was on pace for the all time worst offensive performance by a team by a LARGE margin.

Like I said, having Henne on the team because you need someone to fill a slot is one thing.

Saying resigning a guy like Henne before he can hit free agency and have his true value gauged by the open market is what is truly concerning.

If it were your 3.5 million would you consider Henne to be 3 million dollars better than some other dreg in free agency?
You seem to have this bitterness toward Henne for some reason. Did he steal your girlfriend in high school or something? Its ok man. Let it go.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Better option?

You still haven't answered the question.  What should they have done?  Who specifically should they have signed as a stopgap?

The money isn't a factor.  They have a ton of cap space and it was a similar deal that Matt Cassell got in Minnesota and that Fitz got in Houston.  With that, clearly it was the correct market value.

Quote:You still haven't answered the question.  What should they have done?  Who specifically should they have signed as a stopgap?

The money isn't a factor.  They have a ton of cap space and it was a similar deal that Matt Cassell got in Minnesota and that Fitz got in Houston.  With that, clearly it was the correct market value.

I already did say what they should have done. Go back and learn to read, then go ahead and read the thread again.

Quote:You seem to have this bitterness toward Henne for some reason. Did he steal your girlfriend in high school or something? Its ok man. Let it go.

Actually I'm talking about Caldwell and my disappointment with him, not Henne.

Do you need remedial reading lessons, too?

Quote:I already did say what they should have done. Go back and learn to read, then go ahead and read the thread again.
Calm down.  The little comments are not necessary as I'm not attacking you.  I asked you who specifically they should have signed and you haven't yet responded, nor did you reply to what I said about Henne making the same as equal talent in similar situations.  If you don't want to have a grown up debate then that's fine I'll just stop responding to you.

Quote:Calm down.  The little comments are not necessary as I'm not attacking you.  I asked you who specifically they should have signed and you haven't yet responded, nor did you reply to what I said about Henne making the same as equal talent in similar situations.  If you don't want to have a grown up debate then that's fine I'll just stop responding to you.

Don't kid yourself into thinking you can get me worked up.

If you don't already understand my position then go ahead and stop responding, it's clearly beyond you.

Quote:Calm down.  The little comments are not necessary as I'm not attacking you.  I asked you who specifically they should have signed and you haven't yet responded, nor did you reply to what I said about Henne making the same as equal talent in similar situations.  If you don't want to have a grown up debate then that's fine I'll just stop responding to you.

I think he's a little frustrated because, as I read it, he was never saying the team should not have signed Henne nor was he advocating signing someone else. His beef is with timing and the value of Henne at the time of his signing relative to what he likely could have been signed for (assuming someone else didn't scoop him up) had he actually hit FA (which we did not even allow him to do).

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I think he's a little frustrated because, as I read it, he was never saying the team should not have signed Henne nor was he advocating signing someone else. His beef is with timing and the value of Henne at the time of his signing relative to what he likely could have been signed for (assuming someone else didn't scoop him up) had he actually hit FA (which we did not even allow him to do).

Score one for the education system. Congratulations on reading what is written rather than assuming something you want to read and responding as such.

I wanted Bridgewater and feel that over their careers Bortles will turn out better than Manziel but not as good as Carr and Bridgewater.

That said believe me whatever OC we do bring in knows his number 1 priority and job anchor is to work with a young QB who needs mechanical and coverage reading work. He will come into this knowing he has a QB with the mobility , toughness and arm at his disposal to be solid and i expect Bortles to actually improve alot. I just feel Carr and Bridgewater will also improve greatly from year 1-2.

Quote:Score one for the education system. Congratulations on reading what is written rather than assuming something you want to read and responding as such.

What you talkin' bout, Willis? I dropped outta kindiegarten!  :teehee:

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:What you talkin' bout, Willis? I dropped outta kindiegarten!  :teehee:

:woot:

Quote:Other than who? It's not like he had a lot to chose from. The best? who - Ryan Fitzpatrick?
Seriously.  Okie acts like there was a Brett Favre or Dan Marino just sitting out there waiting for some team to call, and the Jags decided to go with Henne.  Free agency had already started before they brought him back.  He was a day from being able to talk to other teams when they agreed to a 2 year deal.  That tells me they explored their options and didn't see anyone who was going to bring value to the team in a season that was already set for low expectations.  Henne was the only option that provided them with a QB who was familiar with the playbook and the personnel who would work for backup money knowing he'd be working with his eventual replacement. 

Henne was the guy who understood that he would more than likely begin the season as the starter, then be asked to step aside at some point when the rookie was ready.  I doubt any other QBs who were on the wire at the time would have been as open to accepting such a role. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 04:48 PM by UCF Knight.)

Quote:I still don't understand how Caldwell thought Henne would be at all acceptable as a QB for the team in 2014.

It's really concerning.

I'm pretty sure Caldwell didn't think Henne was our answer.  He was the stop gap.

Edit:  Should have read ahead.  Should I expect Okie to tell me how dumb I am and the education system sucks?

Quote:I'm pretty sure Caldwell didn't think Henne was our answer.  He was the stop gap.

Edit:  Should have read ahead.  Should I expect Okie to tell me how dumb I am and the education system sucks?

Then why did he think it was such an urgent signing to make?

And you only need worry if you base your self confidence whether people on the internet praise you.

Dudes a wizard

Quote:Wow this guy was spot on, get him to head up our scouting department!

There was a reason they planned to sit him the entire year.

;

;

Quote:Wow this guy was spot on, get him to head up our scouting department!

There was a reason they planned to sit him the entire year.

;

;

Quote:Pretty much why I was hesitant to take him at #3 last year. I do have hope that the glimpse we saw early last season is closer to the finished product of Bortles than the mess that we saw in the middle to later part of the season (middle was a turnover machine, late was an ultraconvservative checkdown machines)

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/