Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Context for the Joeckel Pick

Quote:Well, I seriously thought you were joking, and I apologize if my tone was out of line.  I mostly lurk here, but I've noticed that many of the posters use parody both to be funny and to get their point across at the same time, and I couldn't really tell if that was the case with your post.  While we're on the subject, your first post on the subject still looks smart-alecky, rather than a genuine appeal to Jagfan as to whether or not it's possible to work out your upper body with a broken ankle, but I'm kinda done with this topic........go jags and happy new year, and I think I'm back to lurk mode for a bit.........

Its all good. Your name didn't sound familiar at all (since I guess you're a lurker), so I had no previous post history to go by. So when the first post I see from you had what I felt was an attacking tone, I kinda did the same.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Group hug!  Group hug!

kumbiya?

only 2 out of the first 11 picks even turned out to be mediocre players for their position. Thats pretty sad.

I've thought of this before as well. That draft was fairly weak all around. Hard to get too mad at Caldwell looking at how the other GMs faired.

The OP is correct.  Joeckel was the logical pick, and even in hindsight you might take him over other players taken in the top 10.  It's still a premium position, and Joeckel's story is still not written. 

He's also correct about the Monroe trade.  We essentially traded Monroe's last 12 games for Telvin and Colvin, 2 very promising young players, possibly core players.  That's the kind of foresight that makes for a successful franchise.

Quote:The OP is correct.  Joeckel was the logical pick, and even in hindsight you might take him over other players taken in the top 10.  It's still a premium position, and Joeckel's story is still not written. 

He's also correct about the Monroe trade.  We essentially traded Monroe's last 12 games for Telvin and Colvin, 2 very promising young players, possibly core players.  That's the kind of foresight that makes for a successful franchise.

how many times will people get it wrong?

We got CHRIS Smith, not Telvin Smith, out of the Monroe trade (and Colvin).

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Don't forget about the money saved to add a top tier FA in that equation.

Yes, I compare this draft to the 2001 NBA draft when the Washington Wizards got Kwame Brown with the #1 pick.

I'm sorry, but the Joke did HORRIBLE this year.  He was getting thrown around, pushed aside, and bull rushed out of the way.  I know Caldwell's hands were tied, but that's no excuse for his play.  I'm hoping it was because of the rest of the offensive line, but that part of the line should have been solid.  He had a Beadles next to him.  Top pick in the draft a year ago, and a veteran like Beadles should have helped Bortles out.  With that being said, Caldwell needs to get a premium FA for RT.  If those pieces are in place, and Joke still does bad next year, he should be demoted, and they should work on finding a replacement.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Its all good. Your name didn't sound familiar at all (since I guess you're a lurker), so I had no previous post history to go by. So when the first post I see from you had what I felt was an attacking tone, I kinda did the same.

Quote:Group hug!  Group hug!

Quote:kumbiya?

Just read this entire thread.  Gotta say, this is why I love reading this MB.  You laugh, you cry, you yell and scream at one another...  And then, at the end, you are all fans of the same team.

Bravo to everyone!  And happy new year!

I did actually want Ziggy Ansah at the time, however my 2nd choice was Dion Jordan so I got one right and completely whiffed on another!