Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Context for the Joeckel Pick

Quote:No.  And, I'd imagine he did what he could: some bench work, some military presses, and the little bit that he could do, etc.

Was that your shiny little point? Was that why you took the time to detour the thread in this manner, so that you could prove that, oh yes, he could have gotten some incremental improvement in upper body strength? If so, please explain how that in any way adds value in any manner, or detracts one iota from the post that you quoted and responded to that said that LJ would greatly benefit from a full off-season of strength training. The point is, and remains, that he did not get a full off-season of strength training last year because his injury hindered him from doing many of the strength-training exercises required of offensive linemen, other than the few handful of exercises that you so helpfully reminded us that he could still do, as if we didn't know that, and as if that is in any way relevant.
My friend, you've successfully won the argument!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No.  And, I'd imagine he did what he could: some bench work, some military presses, and the little bit that he could do, etc.

Was that your shiny little point? Was that why you took the time to detour the thread in this manner, so that you could prove that, oh yes, he could have gotten some incremental improvement in upper body strength? If so, please explain how that in any way adds value in any manner, or detracts one iota from the post that you quoted and responded to that said that LJ would greatly benefit from a full off-season of strength training. The point is, and remains, that he did not get a full off-season of strength training last year because his injury hindered him from doing many of the strength-training exercises required of offensive linemen, other than the few handful of exercises that you so helpfully reminded us that he could still do, as if we didn't know that, and as if that is in any way relevant.

Actually, you're the one who derailed by jumping and declaring yourself fitness expert and then asking if it was a serious question. When the fact is, many here DON'T actually weight lift, and contrary to your belief...what you discussed is not common knowledge.

I asked you to elaborate, and once again you went into high and mighty mode by calling it "the dumbest thing" you've ever heard on the internet. At that point, yes, of course I would take offense and want to know what you actually know (because there's a lot of people who blow smoke in the internet, after all. And they are usually the ones who roar the loudest without the bite to prove it).

What you commented on was actually good information. Had you not gone into full attack mode right away, this conversation would have gone more smoothly.

The intent of my retort to the initial poster was that I felt Luke didn't do enough. Luke was young coming in, and his body reflected that. He could have done more work in that regard to help himself this season (he still looks pretty soft up top), even with the injury to his ankle.

Quote:LOL......a pull-up bar, really? In place of deadlifts and cleans, etc??....................Look, I'm not defending Joeckel.  If you guys want to make the case that his work ethic was lacking, or that he didn't do enough of what he could have done in the offseason, or that he just totally sucks, I'll take your word for it.  I'm just saying that it's a complete joke to suggest that upper-body training for an offensive linemen isn't greatly hindered by a broken ankle.  A massive joke.  If a poster doesn't know a lot about strength training, that's cool, but maybe that realization would be a good time to not offer a strong public opinion on that specific topic.

Nobody is saying he'd get the same workout as if he would when 100% healthy.  And yes, a pull up bar will strengthen your upper back just as well, and a lot more safely than cleans, snatches, and push presses.  Stop pretending its impossible to strengthen your upper body with an ankle injury... That's all anybody said was that they wanted to see it look like he's done the workouts to improve his strength - not knowing if he actually did or not.

Contrary to popular belief, power explosion exercises aren't the end all be all to lifting for football players.

Quote:Actually, you're the one who derailed by jumping and declaring yourself fitness expert and then asking if it was a serious question. When the fact is, many here DON'T actually weight lift, and contrary to your belief...what you discussed is not common knowledge.

I asked you to elaborate, and once again you went into high and mighty mode by calling it "the dumbest thing" you've ever heard on the internet. At that point, yes, of course I would take offense and want to know what you actually know (because there's a lot of people who blow smoke in the internet, after all. And they are usually the ones who roar the loudest without the bite to prove it).

What you commented on was actually good information. Had you not gone into full attack mode right away, this conversation would have gone more smoothly.

The intent of my retort to the initial poster was that I felt Luke didn't do enough. Luke was young coming in, and his body reflected that. He could have done more work in that regard to help himself this season (he still looks pretty soft up top), even with the injury to his ankle.
Oh, I see.  So when the poster said that LJ would benefit from a full off-season of strength conditioning, which is completely inarguable, and you came back with "I didn't realize that knee (?) injuries prevented players from improving their upper body strength", that wasn't smart-alecky or attacking at all, just your silky-smooth and conversational way of saying "Luke didn't do enough".  And "enlighten us, please" was your charming way of saying, "hey, I don't know much about this topic.....I'd like your opinion".  Got it, thanks, won't happen again.

Quote:Nobody is saying he'd get the same workout as if he would when 100% healthy.  And yes, a pull up bar will strengthen your upper back just as well, and a lot more safely than cleans, snatches, and push presses.  Stop pretending its impossible to strengthen your upper body with an ankle injury... That's all anybody said was that they wanted to see it look like he's done the workouts to improve his strength - not knowing if he actually did or not.

Contrary to popular belief, power explosion exercises aren't the end all be all to lifting for football players.
I'm aware of the benefits of a pull-up bar, and never said that it's impossible to strengthen your upper body with an ankle injury.  I said that upper body strength training for an offensive lineman is greatly hindered by having a broken ankle.  Do you disagree with that?

Did anyone read that whole thing?

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2014, 03:21 PM by FreeAgent01.)

No, I don't disagree with it.  

I'm just saying that in 10 months he can still get meaningful gains in chest, core, back, and arms despite a broken ankle.  Do you disagree with that?

Quote:Oh, I see.  So when the poster said that LJ would benefit from a full off-season of strength conditioning, which is completely inarguable, and you came back with "I didn't realize that knee (?) injuries prevented players from improving their upper body strength", that wasn't smart-alecky or attacking at all, just your silky-smooth and conversational way of saying "Luke didn't do enough".  And "enlighten us, please" was your charming way of saying, "hey, I don't know much about this topic.....I'd like your opinion".  Got it, thanks, won't happen again.
I originally posted and was going off what coach said about him getting a full offseason to workout. I stopped paying attn to the fella when he said knee injury. when in fact he broke his ankle.

Quote:No, I don't disagree with it.  

I'm just saying that in 10 months he can still get meaningful gains in chest, core, back, and arms despite a broken ankle.  Do you disagree with that?
No, and I never disagreed with that, although we may disagree on your concept of "meaningful", particularly as it relates to an NFL offensive lineman.

Anyway, we're mostly on the same page.  Can we agree that the seemingly inarguable original statement in this thread that LJ will benefit from finally having an actual full off-season of strength training, as opposed to whatever he was able to accomplish last year with a broken ankle, is pretty much fact?

Quote:Oh, I see.  So when the poster said that LJ would benefit from a full off-season of strength conditioning, which is completely inarguable, and you came back with "I didn't realize that knee (?) injuries prevented players from improving their upper body strength", that wasn't smart-alecky or attacking at all, just your silky-smooth and conversational way of saying "Luke didn't do enough".  And "enlighten us, please" was your charming way of saying, "hey, I don't know much about this topic.....I'd like your opinion".  Got it, thanks, won't happen again.

And there you go with the attack again...you must feel so awesome as you do your dead lifts in the gym while screaming your lungs out and dropping the weights on the floor to get the attention of everyone.

JagFan said: "Joekel basicly was a rookiee LT this year coming off a injury that he had to rehab all offseason and not strength train"

My comment was in regards to the bolded part of his comment.

Quote:No, I don't disagree with it.  

Yep this is pretty much all I was going for, and then Arnold there went Terminator mode.

Quote:No, and I never disagreed with that, although we may disagree on your concept of "meaningful", particularly as it relates to an NFL offensive lineman.

Anyway, we're mostly on the same page.  Can we agree that the seemingly inarguable original statement in this thread that LJ will benefit from finally having an actual full off-season of strength training, as opposed to whatever he was able to accomplish last year with a broken ankle, is pretty much fact?

Yes, I would think he could get more out of an offseason without a broken ankle rather than with one.  

Quote:And there you go with the attack again...you must feel so awesome as you do your dead lifts in the gym while screaming your lungs out and dropping the weights on the floor to get the attention of everyone.

JagFan said: "Joekel basicly was a rookiee LT this year coming off a injury that he had to rehab all offseason and not strength train"

Right, you were just being a little fact-checker.  Even though 99.9% of the board understood that when Jagfan88 said "not strengh train", he meant "not strength train appropriately" (just as we all understood when you said "knee", you meant "ankle"), you just wanted to correct him on that one narrow point.  It seems to me that when I then said, "Of course leg injuries greatly hinder the development of upper body strength", that might have been a good time for you to say, "Oh, I know....I was just responding to what he said about not being able to strength train at all".

That might have helped the conversation go much smoother, you see.

Quote:Right, you were just being a little fact-checker.  Even though 99.9% of the board understood that when Jagfan88 said "not strengh train", he meant "not strength train appropriately" (just as we all understood when you said "knee", you meant "ankle"), you just wanted to correct him on that one narrow point.  It seems to me that when I then said, "Of course leg injuries greatly hinder the development of upper body strength", that might have been a good time for you to say, "Oh, I know....I was just responding to what he said about not being able to strength train at all".

That might have helped the conversation go much smoother, you see.

It would have, if I actually knew about all the stuff you talked about. Honestly, I didn't factor in the other stuff as it pertains to OL. I honestly was only thinking about upper body stuff, kind of like how Brook Lopez broke his foot and came back the following season with 15 lbs of muscle and his upper body looked completely transformed from the year before.

What would have made it smoother was you not saying "is this a serious comment?"

ya'll really arguing over the type of weight training he coulda done w a bum leg?

[Image: graphics-ok-020920.gif]

If they ask why I act this way..just tell'em I'm from..

[Image: below-model-jax-2013.jpg]

DUUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2014, 03:52 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:And there you go with the attack again...you must feel so awesome as you do your dead lifts in the gym while screaming your lungs out and dropping the weights on the floor to get the attention of everyone.

You had an antogonizings, elitist tone to start this whole thing Speedy, now you are going on defense (yet attack) mode.  You remind me of some ex girlfriends i've had!

Quote:You had an antogonizings, elitist tone to start this whole thing Speedy, now you are going on defense (yet attack) mode.  You remind me of some ex girlfriends i've had!
can he coach DC?

If they ask why I act this way..just tell'em I'm from..

[Image: below-model-jax-2013.jpg]

DUUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

Quote:It would have, if I actually knew about all the stuff you talked about. Honestly, I didn't factor in the other stuff as it pertains to OL. I honestly was only thinking about upper body stuff, kind of like how Brook Lopez broke his foot and came back the following season with 15 lbs of muscle and his upper body looked completely transformed from the year before.

What would have made it smoother was you not saying "is this a serious comment?"
Well, I seriously thought you were joking, and I apologize if my tone was out of line.  I mostly lurk here, but I've noticed that many of the posters use parody both to be funny and to get their point across at the same time, and I couldn't really tell if that was the case with your post.  While we're on the subject, your first post on the subject still looks smart-alecky, rather than a genuine appeal to Jagfan as to whether or not it's possible to work out your upper body with a broken ankle, but I'm kinda done with this topic........go jags and happy new year, and I think I'm back to lurk mode for a bit.........

Quote:You had an antogonizings, elitist tone to start this whole thing Speedy, now you are going on defense (yet attack) mode.  You remind me of some ex girlfriends i've had!
It might have come off that way, but frankly I'm tired of all the excuses that posters here (and honestly, they all blend in together, so its hard to track who's saying what some times) have for Luke.

He sucked last year, and posters defended him because he was playing RT (which was not his natural position).

Then he struggles this season, and they use the excuse of him basically his rookie year (but I thought the he'd be better moving back to his natural LT position?)

Then we're now late in the season, his "rookie" year is practically done, and its "well he got hurt last year", when his injury happened in week 5...leaving him plenty of time to rehab.

At some point we just gotta say he wasn't good enough and he needs to show great improvement next season or we'd be looking for his replacement.

Quote:It might have come off that way, but frankly I'm tired of all the excuses that posters here (and honestly, they all blend in together, so its hard to track who's saying what some times) have for Luke.

He sucked last year, and posters defended him because he was playing RT (which was not his natural position).

Then he struggles this season, and they use the excuse of him basically his rookie year (but I thought the he'd be better moving back to his natural LT position?)

Then we're now late in the season, his "rookie" year is practically done, and its "well he got hurt last year", when his injury happened in week 5...leaving him plenty of time to rehab.

At some point we just gotta say he wasn't good enough and he needs to show great improvement next season or we'd be looking for his replacement.
We are in full agreement here.  Hopefully he pulls it together, we need him next year.