Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell: "We will be big-spenders in Free Agency."

Quote:I'm expecting Rahim Moore and Charles Clay...other than them its opportunity based

Yes. Moore and Clay plus OL help and a DT and LB

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I still don't understand the Beadles hate. He was bad the first month, but has been solid since.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2014, 03:14 AM by Banatha.)

Quote:Caldwell will find a way to screw it up. that's his track record so far. until he proves otherwise 
Very negative as usual but I do not fault you for it. I am not an expert in the cap numbers and never claimed to be,

however we have never spent up to the cap, nor aggressively went after top FA.

Not close to it. In fact just the opposite, so I will believe it when I see it. Please name a top FA we went after when they were at the top of their game and known to be so and would be expensive?

There are perhaps other issues which might signal the hole in the bottom of the boat is getting bigger.

Caldwell's Plan from the start was blow up the team and start from scratch. That phrase is often used, but Caldwell pretty much did it for real.

He replaced starters with rookies. Some of these starters could follow one of two trajectories, up or down. Whether

Daryl Smith, Eugene Monroe, Derek Cox,MJD,Landry,he was unloading salaries and players who were not bad, sometimes good, and the primary reason appeared to be money. To be replaced with Rookies that cost less.

Is that a plan to save money or a plan to produce a winner?

In hindsight, Caldwell admits he was reckless, or made bad choices to be nice. This is a red flag. Does he have a clue what he is doing, or playing it by ear as far as how much to spend and what to spend it on. His head coach hire certainly seems immature and just failed at his first OC hire.

These are major decisions about the club's direction which were failed by the new GM,and he conservatively followed the same frugal spending habits that have been the case since the early Coughlin years. Perhaps he did not want to go out on a limb with a major FA hire. Gerhart was gambling Dave?

It makes for a lot of built in excuses for Dave to Khan,  the youngest squad ever, all that potential, more top draft picks. He managed scared and more protective of money than fielding a winning squad. The new promises to spend money sound good(maybe his quote can be interpreted that way, maybe not), but I have a feeling we will not spend any more than in the past, the jags look for VALUE in free agency, not for stars. We will see rookie churn again and again, and if a player gets expensive we will ship them away to a higher spender at the end of their contract.

I don't feel good about the direction this team is going, whether it is planned failure or failure by incompetence.

I know the legal issues are still pending, but how has Greg Hardy become such an afterthought? He's one of the best DEs in the league and will likely come on with a dv discount.

I'd also go after Suh and you have a really mean defensive line.

I agree that Beadles played way better in the second half of the season, but I'd still look into Iupati because it can't hurt to have a pro bowl guard and some depth.

Jordan Cameron will probably give more bang for the buck than J. Thomas.

I'm crossing my fingers for McCourty to hit the market.

Julius Thomas and possibly McCourty.

Lock it in.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

What's the love for Rahim Moore? He can't play a deep ball to save his life. Anyone remember the playoff game he lost to the Ravens single handedly? There are many more where that came from. He's young but no better than what we have.

Randall Cobb.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:What's the love for Rahim Moore? He can't play a deep ball to save his life. Anyone remember the playoff game he lost to the Ravens single handedly? There are many more where that came from. He's young but no better than what we have.

That play was two years ago. He has played well this year. You really don't think he is better than Josh Evans?

;

;

Julius Thomas/Demaryius Thomas Broncos cannot franchise both... Sign one.

JPP... Won't the Giants franchise him? He's worth big bucks

Barksdale I like. Won't break the bank either.

We need a starting center. Have to think we sign someone significant since we couldn't get Mack last year. Caldwell tried.

The secondary needs a lot of help. Signing Antrel Rolle as a temp fix works. Stevie Brown is young coming off injury he's going to be cheap. Same for Gibson but his injury was so late in year he may not be ready for week 1.

As far as corner we need some quality depth.

Smith and Poz are good linebackers but we need a true run stopper at OLB. Could be via draft.

Quote:That play was two years ago. He has played well this year. You really don't think he is better than Josh Evans?

From what I've seen this year.... Absolutely not. He's the weak link to that D.

Quote:Randall Cobb.

He's not leaving Green Bay. They love him there.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:Very negative as usual but I do not fault you for it. I am not an expert in the cap numbers and never claimed to be,

however we have never spent up to the cap, nor aggressively went after top FA.

Not close to it. In fact just the opposite, so I will believe it when I see it. Please name a top FA we went after when they were at the top of their game and known to be so and would be expensive?

There are perhaps other issues which might signal the hole in the bottom of the boat is getting bigger.

Caldwell's Plan from the start was blow up the team and start from scratch. That phrase is often used, but Caldwell pretty much did it for real.

He replaced starters with rookies. Some of these starters could follow one of two trajectories, up or down. Whether

Daryl Smith, Eugene Monroe, Derek Cox,MJD,Landry,he was unloading salaries and players who were not bad, sometimes good, and the primary reason appeared to be money. To be replaced with Rookies that cost less.

Is that a plan to save money or a plan to produce a winner?

In hindsight, Caldwell admits he was reckless, or made bad choices to be nice. This is a red flag. Does he have a clue what he is doing, or playing it by ear as far as how much to spend and what to spend it on. His head coach hire certainly seems immature and just failed at his first OC hire.

These are major decisions about the club's direction which were failed by the new GM,and he conservatively followed the same frugal spending habits that have been the case since the early Coughlin years. Perhaps he did not want to go out on a limb with a major FA hire. Gerhart was gambling Dave?

It makes for a lot of built in excuses for Dave to Khan,  the youngest squad ever, all that potential, more top draft picks. He managed scared and more protective of money than fielding a winning squad. The new promises to spend money sound good(maybe his quote can be interpreted that way, maybe not), but I have a feeling we will not spend any more than in the past, the jags look for VALUE in free agency, not for stars. We will see rookie churn again and again, and if a player gets expensive we will ship them away to a higher spender at the end of their contract.

I don't feel good about the direction this team is going, whether it is planned failure or failure by incompetence.

You do not spend money up to the cap just to spend money.  That happened at the end of our run in the 90s and we saw what happened there. Dave has hit and has missed on FA contracts that havent had to break the bank for us.  Marks and Miller are guys that were signed to cheap veteran deals, and look how that worked out for us.  The deals in FA that haven't worked haven't been back breakers because of the lack of guaranteed money.  So yes, free agency is about value. Not about stars. I do not understand how that is a bad thing.  You want someone gambling your franchise's money? Thats a terrible way to build a team. 

As for Caldwell, he has never said he was reckless or "made choices to be nice." He said he wish he had more of a veteran presence.  Caldwell will be willing to pay money for a guy, but only when he has been proven in Jacksonville's system.  As for the veterans you listed off, MJD was washed up, Landry was mediocre, and Derek Cox has been bouncing around the league. The only one I can give you from that list would Smith.  Smith wasn't resigned because of his injury. Caldwell took a chance, and it didn't work out.  And even then, we would most likely have to start looking for a replacement for Smith if he were on our roster right now.  Monroe wasn't going to resign because Dave wanted Luke, so he traded him for picks. 

Bottom line: I fail to see how Caldwell has been "reckless" and if you dont think there was more talent on this roster than there was two years ago, then you are just blinded by an agenda.

Unfortunately, most of the guys mentioned will probably re-sign with their teams.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Frugal spending habits of the Coughlin years?? The Jaguars were the Redskins under Dan Snyder in the late 90's. Hardy Nickerson, Carnell Lake, Bryce Paul, Kyle Brady just to name a few off the top of my head.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Julius Thomas/Demaryius Thomas Broncos cannot franchise both... Sign one.

DT has already come out and said that he's willing to give the Broncos a hometown discount. So its pretty clear to see what they will do: Negotiate with DT and franchise JT (cheap to franchise a TE)

JPP... Won't the Giants franchise him? He's worth big bucks

Barksdale I like. Won't break the bank either.

He'd be a target for me as well. I think having a coach like Gus would do wonders for him.

Just got a feeling that JPP and Jordan Cameron are both tagged by their respective teams. Would love to sign one or both but probably not going to happen.

Quote:Unfortunately, most of the guys mentioned will probably re-sign with their teams.

Yup. It happens every year. Lots of guys come up on a possible FA list,, and the majority of the "quality" guys end up staying with their original teams somehow.

We'll just have to wait a while to see who is still available after most guys get resigned.

I wonder if Brian Orakpo will get resigned again
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/12/30/...n-to-spend

It just keeps getting better.
Talk is cheap, but signing OG Mike Iupati, 49ers wont be...

Nor OLB Justin Houston, Kansas City Chiefs as Bleacher reported suggested for Free Agents to Jacksonville