Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What should we do with Henne?
Release him if we can't get a trade
Trade him if we can get atleast a 6th rounder
Keep him
Re-sign Todd Bouman for the 7th time as our new backup if 1 and 2 come to fruition
Corn
*Todd Bouman Tractor Signal*
[Show Results]

Should we keep Henne?

Quote:That's very true...I wouldn't mind drafting a qb every few years, but the question still remains...Is he going to be an upgrade? If yes, do it, if not then keep Henne until something better comes along...I would be more comfortable ( still sick to my stomach) with Henne at QB than a 4th round rookie...Either way more than likely wouldn't be pretty

My problem with Henne is that he doesn't present the illusion of competition to Bortles at this point.  Maybe they can try and sell the idea that our new OC is a "qb whisperer" who finally fixed him.  Either way, hopefully they bring in another QB to at least compete against Henne for the backup spot.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:My problem with Henne is that he doesn't present the illusion of competition to Bortles at this point.  Maybe they can try and sell the idea that our new OC is a "qb whisperer" who finally fixed him.  Either way, hopefully they bring in another QB to at least compete against Henne for the backup spot.  

When you draft a QB #3 overall there isn't any competition in his second season.

That said you are correct that the Jaguars would be better off looking for the diamond in the rough instead of sticking with someone as bad as Henne without even offering up competition against him.

Quote:My problem with Henne is that he doesn't present the illusion of competition to Bortles at this point.  Maybe they can try and sell the idea that our new OC is a "qb whisperer" who finally fixed him.  Either way, hopefully they bring in another QB to at least compete against Henne for the backup spot.  
Isn't that why they resigned Morris? I would love love LOVE to see an actual QB competition between two starting caliber QBs rather than undrafted free agents or late round picks...I just think that Henne would be the better option available over what is available to replace him with

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:When you draft a QB #3 overall there isn't any competition in his second season.

That said you are correct that the Jaguars would be better off looking for the diamond in the rough instead of sticking with someone as bad as Henne without even offering up competition against him.
That was the Gene Smith drafting philosophy...How well did that work out?

Quote:That was the Gene Smith drafting philosophy...How well did that work out?

What, bringing on guys that could be decent instead of sticking with failure?

I think you have it wrong, Smith's philosophy was bringing in failure, at least that's what it appears to have been given the results.

Quote:Isn't that why they resigned Morris? I would love love LOVE to see an actual QB competition between two starting caliber QBs rather than undrafted free agents or late round picks...I just think that Henne would be the better option available over what is available to replace him with

They resigned Morris?  I assumed Morris' NFL career vanished as soon as Fisch got fired.  Of all the college QBs I watched from that class, he was by far the worst.  

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 04:33 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:What, bringing on guys that could be decent instead of sticking with failure?

I think you have it wrong, Smith's philosophy was bringing in failure, at least that's what it appears to have been given the results.
nope this part of your post is what I was referring to " looking for the diamond in the rough"
that's why it is a different color bolded and highlighted...pretty easy to pick out from the rest of the post

Quote:nope this part of his post is what I was referring to " looking for the diamond in the rough"

So you think you find a lot of polished diamonds at QB in the later rounds?

You have to be able to find guys that aren't already clearly on top of things in the middle to later rounds.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:So you think you find a lot of polished diamonds at QB in the later rounds?

You have to be able to find guys that aren't already clearly on top of things in the middle to later rounds.
NO which is why I don't see any being an upgrade over Henne...Look Henne is junk, but before getting rid of him, they need to have something better to replace him with...don't just push him out the door just to be rid of him...Have a replacement that is an upgrade or keep him

Quote:NO which is why I don't see any being an upgrade over Henne...Look Henne is junk, but before getting rid of him, they need to have something better to replace him with...don't just push him out the door just to be rid of him...Have a replacement that is an upgrade or keep him

It's not hard to upgrade over a guy like Henne. Just having some athleticism might even be enough.

However, it's all really moot. I'd expect the new OC to let Dave know if he wants a new backup he feels more comfortable with anyway.

Quote:It's not hard to upgrade over a guy like Henne. Just having some athleticism might even be enough.

However, it's all really moot. I'd expect the new OC to let Dave know if he wants a new backup he feels more comfortable with anyway.
It's not as easy as you might think...most quality qbs are not available off the street, mid to late round drafted qbs, would not be an upgrade, and trading for a qb from another team would be costly...

I would suspect there is a QB available with some running skills who could at least match Henne with arm strength, accuracy and decision making. Henne is costing, I think, about $4 million this year. That's way over his production capability.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Quote:I would suspect there is a QB available with some running skills who could at least match Henne with arm strength, accuracy and decision making. Henne is costing, I think, about $4 million this year. That's way over his production capability.

Regards......................the Chiefjag
I'm not opposed to getting rid of Henne, I just don't want rid of him just be be rid of him...If there is an upgrade available, by all means dump him, but if there is no clear upgrade, don't get rid of him...I'd like to see him gone too, but not without someone better to replace him with

Well at this point I'd rather test Ryan Mallet or Mark Sanchez. Both would be better than Henne at half the price.

We're talking about a backup anyway.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:Well at this point I'd rather test Ryan Mallet or Mark Sanchez. Both would be better than Henne at half the price.

We're talking about a backup anyway.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag
they would only be a backup unless Bortles went down...It only takes one unfortunate play before your backup has to be the starter

Quote:they would only be a backup unless Bortles went down...It only takes one unfortunate play before your backup has to be the starter

Which is why it's critical for the Jaguars to keep someone of Henne's incredible abilities.

Did I keep a straight face, that time?

Quote:Which is why it's critical for the Jaguars to keep someone of Henne's incredible abilities.

Well he did throw for more TDs than INTs for the first time in his career in 2014...

Quote:Well he did throw for more TDs than INTs for the first time in his career in 2014...

And all it took was pulling him after two and a half games.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:Which is why it's critical for the Jaguars to keep someone of Henne's incredible abilities.

You lost me when you put  "incredible abilities" after Henne.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:You lost me when you put  "incredible abilities" after Henne.
Confusedweat: