Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dave Caldwell Presser at 11 am Gus presser at 1 pm

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 12:59 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:"Won more games over the last 2 years than expected"

He said he expected 4-7 wins this year and we got three. So if that quote above tells me anything, it is that he only expected one or two wins in 2013 and the team got four.

Just gonna guess you didn't watch the press conference, right?

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Randall Cobb.
i cannot see a scenario where he leaves green bay. They have more than enough cap to give him the deal he deserves

Quote:"Won more games over the last 2 years than expected"
i dont think he expected us to win 4 games last year. He expected us to repeat 2 and 14 because he took all the vets out the locker room and started again, thats probably what he meant.

Quote:He said he expected 4-7 wins this year and we got three. So if that quote above tells me anything, it is that he only expected one or two wins in 2013 and the team got four.

Just gonna guess you didn't watch the press conference, right?

No I didn't.  I just went off the quotes people posted.  But 7 wins in 2 years is NO ONES expectation.  That's why I think he's trying to save face.  Just come out and say we haven't performed or we haven't won the games we should have.  I would have more respect for that.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:No I didn't.  I just went off the quotes people posted.  But 7 wins in 2 years is NO ONES expectation.  That's why I think he's trying to save face.  Just come out and say we haven't performed or we haven't won the games we should have.  I would have more respect for that.

You didn't watch his press conference. He said exactly that. 

Here is my suggestion. Go home, watch the press conference and come back afterwards.

;

;

what do you people expect him to say?  "Everyone in that locker room sucks, they all played lousy and we are a laughing stock"

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:No I didn't.  I just went off the quotes people posted.  But 7 wins in 2 years is NO ONES expectation.  That's why I think he's trying to save face.  Just come out and say we haven't performed or we haven't won the games we should have.  I would have more respect for that.

It sounded like it was though. I think it really does sound like Dave wanted to go really young the first two years even if it meant minimal success but that he really miscalculated the lack of veteran presence in the team he assembled.

Dave took ownership of the team he put together in saying that Khan was willing to spend but Dave chose not to, and that he gave Gus a tougher job by stacking the team with too many inexperienced young guys.

If I was to guess, Dave's expectations was probably 2-3 wins last year and realistic 6 wins this season (which we didn't deliver, due to youth, which was his fault).

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 01:15 PM by jagforlife85.)

This roster was historically bad when this regime took over, maybe the worst in the history of the NFL, especially when you factor in Justin Blackmon’s suspension. They decided to go incredibly young on both sides of the ball, it shouldn't surprise anyone the expectations (win-wise) were incredibly low. The Jaguars are in essence doing what the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros have done, get rid of bad contracts, stockpile assets (cap and draft resources), play a bunch of young guys, and hope they mature together. Now they're in a position (financially) to add veteran talent to this roster, it's a painful process but if it's done right winning should be sustainable year and in out.

Quote:It sounded like it was though. I think it really does sound like Dave wanted to go really young the first two years even if it meant minimal success but that he really miscalculated the lack of veteran presence in the team he assembled.

Dave took ownership of the team he put together in saying that Khan was willing to spend but Dave chose not to, and that he gave Gus a tougher job by stacking the team with too many inexperienced young guys.

If I was to guess, Dave's expectations was probably 2-3 wins last year and realistic 6 wins this season (which we didn't deliver, due to youth, which was his fault).
I believe in Dave.  The previous poster who posted that statement seems like he took it out of context.  

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote: I think it really does sound like Dave wanted to go really young the first two years even if it meant minimal success but that he really miscalculated the lack of veteran presence in the team he assembled.

Yes. That's the impression he gave me too. Having 2 or 3 (intended starters) vets either get hurt  -or just plain stink up the field - didn't help either. 

This quote seems to reinforce that line of thinking:

"Gus has had the most difficult job in the league the past two seasons and I didn't do him any favors." 

Quote:Yes. That's the impression he gave me too. Having 2 or 3 (intended starters) vets either get hurt  -or just plain stink up the field - didn't help either. 

This quote seems to reinforce that line of thinking:

"Gus has had the most difficult job in the league the past two seasons and I didn't do him any favors." 

Lack of veteran presence on offense also seems like a shot at Shorts as well

;

;

Quote:Lack of veteran presence on offense also seems like a shot at Shorts as well

He was the worst receiver on the team not named Ace Sanders, and doesn't seem to be much of a leader either.

I think he's more worried about keeping his job after two losing seasons.  He cant say we didnt expect to be this bad, and he cant say that he didnt think Free Agency had any talent if he missed on FA opportunities.  He has to worry about his responses questioning the owners handling of the GM whom is running his business.

I thought he handled the press well, with the exception of misunderstanding the question about JT Thomas (maybe he was biding time on answering it)

Quote:Lack of veteran presence on offense also seems like a shot at Shorts as well
One could say the same about M. Lewis, Poz,(veterans from last year especially Lewis with 8) or  Clemons, Big Red Bryant, etc

and he said Lewis & Poz were incredible

could equally be a shot at Mercedes or henne or most likely just a comment

On offense none of our veterans really turned up and distinguished themselves as a solid starter

Quote:I think he's more worried about keeping his job after two losing seasons.  He cant say we didnt expect to be this bad, and he cant say that he didnt think Free Agency had any talent if he missed on FA opportunities.  He has to worry about his responses questioning the owners handling of the GM whom is running his business.

I thought he handled the press well, with the exception of misunderstanding the question about JT Thomas (maybe he was biding time on answering it)

I didn't get that vibe at all. If anything, it sounds like he (and possibly Gus and the rest of the coaching staff) has a longer leash from Khan than most of us would like.

Quote:He was the worst receiver on the team not named Ace Sanders, and doesn't seem to be much of a leader either.

While Shorts underperformed, I don't think you can question his leadership. If anything, that is the one positive that he brought to that unit.

Caldwell sounded like he was covering his tail. Project 4-7 wins... get 3... failure!!!!

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

"Bigger and more pressing needs".... LIKE A QB THAT DOESN'T THROW DUCKS???

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:While Shorts underperformed, I don't think you can question his leadership. If anything, that is the one positive that he brought to that unit.

When I think of leaders (especially at the WR position) I think of players like Chris Carter, that guy was constantly in the ear of younger receivers, teaching them the nuances of the position. Cecil doesn't have that kind of swagger/bravado in him.

good to see that everyone has come around to what i've been saying of Fisch

FIRE FISCH, CALDWELL!!